May 17, 2009, 04:39 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
BLUE = 04hepmar

... do you think the HS4035 is still the one to run as I’m planning on running either 12x12 or 14x14 APC props. Will 11,000-12,500rpm be low enough to run one of the ZS4045?

The 14-mag motors do best at under 10,000 rpm, imo. 12,500 should still be OK, however, as that only takes up about half the commutations available in most ESC. My sense is that a lower-mag (heli) motor would be the best place to start, if all else is equal (mounting, etc).

Would it be easier to mount the ZS4045 compared to the HS4035?

Depends. The Hs Heli motors are frontmount only. If your model is set up for backmount, Zs would be simpler.

You should make a plane in the 25-40 size which has simular characteristics as the Great Planes Revolver and Hanger 9 Sundowner Formula 1 and is built for speed sport flying (120mph-160mph).

Nemesis NXT 46e in two color schemes "should" be on sale within 6 months (five, I hope!) See pics. Will likely use a special Zs4020 with lower magnet count. (call it "Rs4020" for "Race Special", maybe?)

Why has the ZS4045-10 got 100 more watts in power than the ZS4045-12?
Shouldn’t they both be 3000watt motor as there the same size?

Good point! Yes, all motors of same design and size should have the same max watts and rpm rating. However, in practice users often limit the "S" used with a particular series (to say 10S for 4045). As such, I fudge the figure down a bit on lower Kv motors with this in mind. Techie users can figure that the higher watt figure is ok, as long as they get the watts from more volts at fewer amps than the high-Kv motor would.

David
Last edited by NipponDave; May 17, 2009 at 04:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2009, 05:04 AM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Thread OP
WOOOOOHOO!!!

Happy camper! Im getting one these!

Damn Dave, your like santa at the moment!
May 17, 2009, 05:12 AM
How fast do you think it will go with your "Race Special" Zs4020 (Rs4020)?
May 17, 2009, 09:14 AM

dynamically balanced?

Hi David,

New ZS looks good. Are these dynamically balanced at factory? I recall Scorpion and expensive European such as Orbit are so.

Thanks.

Satoru
May 18, 2009, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru
Hi David,

New ZS looks good. Are these dynamically balanced at factory? I recall Scorpion and expensive European such as Orbit are so.

Thanks.

Satoru

Yes, and so were our previous Z and S series as well. If you take the bell off one of those, you will likely find some sky-blue epoxy-like material between some magnets. That's the balance, when/if needed.
May 18, 2009, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hepmar
How fast do you think it will go with your "Race Special" Zs4020 (Rs4020)?
I really don't know yet. We've tested two prototypes so far, but have not pushed to the extreme on speed yet, nor measured the speed we had. I did not have the "Rs" motors available during those tests (previous Z40 was used). Next samples will be tested and clocked at nutty power levels with Rs motor to see how both airframe and motor handle it.

D
May 18, 2009, 12:35 AM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Thread OP
Brilliant. Saving my pennies.

Off topic, but very cool

Im assuming similar construction to the hyperion warbirds? fibreglass fuselages and built up wings? and suitably scaled up mechanical retracts?

Hyperion seem to be on a serious roll with releasing awesome new stuff.

Next thing you'll say is that hyperion are releasing competively priced composite pylon racers to compete with the european brands
May 18, 2009, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
Brilliant. Saving my pennies.

Off topic, but very cool

Im assuming similar construction to the hyperion warbirds? fibreglass fuselages and built up wings? and suitably scaled up mechanical retracts?

Hyperion seem to be on a serious roll with releasing awesome new stuff.

Next thing you'll say is that hyperion are releasing competively priced composite pylon racers to compete with the european brands
Yes, the NXT's will have beefy retracts with separate servos for each, and an "easy install" arrangement. Glass fuse and Hor. Stab togther, wings with massive center spars and fully sheeted top and bottom. Airfoiled stabs.

Factory says I get color samples in 3~4 weeks, so I should be able to send some pics before too long.

And yes! We're dang busy these days...

In fact, we have a huge CNC mold cutter and are ready (after 2 years of study and practice!) to start producing high-end composite stuff. But we won't be making pylon racers. We'll concentrate on 40e~180e 3D models with composite fuselages, but lighter and cheaper all wood wings and tails.

Cheers,

D
May 18, 2009, 04:23 AM

NXT project motors

Georges (Scorpion boss) and I have decided to do the testing togther for the NXT motor setup. The nice thing about being a boss is getting to choose which projects (the fun ones!) to oversee personally

I've decided to call the Special motors "Ss", meaning "Speed Special". We're starting with these types:

SS4020-0910
SS4020-1100

Which will use the 8-magnet heli motor cores, but be in Zs4020 format externally. We'll test from 4S to 6S, using a variety of props. Shooting for 140mph~160mph and 2.5~3.0 minutes runtime at full throttle, to start.

Time to buy a good radar gun...

David
May 18, 2009, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
Georges (Scorpion boss) and I have decided to do the testing togther for the NXT motor setup. The nice thing about being a boss is getting to choose which projects (the fun ones!) to oversee personally

I've decided to call the Special motors "Ss", meaning "Speed Special". We're starting with these types:

SS4020-0910
SS4020-1100

Which will use the 8-magnet heli motor cores, but be in Zs4020 format externally. We'll test from 4S to 6S, using a variety of props. Shooting for 140mph~160mph and 2.5~3.0 minutes runtime at full throttle, to start.

Time to buy a good radar gun...

David
Dave
Is the NXT going to be more of a scale bird or be designed for pure performance (non draggy airframe and good handling)?

The Jepe Pyranha is the fastest 70mm EDF jet that I know of and yet it still looks jet like. I hope you make the NXT more of speed and handling machine like the Jepe Pyranha.

I think you are going to need a minimum of 3,500-4,000watts to get 140-160mph.

Make sure the retracts are designed well and improved on the P51D which a lot of people had heaps of trouble with.

PS im getting one of these NXT with a "Speed Special" motor set and Hyperion G3 Lipo’s as soon as it comes out.
May 18, 2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks. It is very good to hear that. ZS series looks so good on number basedon your bench test, should perform very well compared to Z.

Satoru
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
Yes, and so were our previous Z and S series as well. If you take the bell off one of those, you will likely find some sky-blue epoxy-like material between some magnets. That's the balance, when/if needed.
May 18, 2009, 09:01 AM
I am UNIQUE!

Battery OPTO Isolator/Spark Arrestor

Dave,

Sorry for the OT post but could you look into the feasibility of producing a high quality Battery OPTO Isolator/Spark Arrestor? With the trend towards HV setups an affordable unit along the lines of the Emcotec SafetyPowerSwitch would be a real bonus for HV applications!

Mike
May 18, 2009, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hepmar
I hope you make the NXT more of speed and handling machine like the Jepe Pyranha.

I think you are going to need a minimum of 3,500-4,000watts to get 140-160mph.

PS im getting one of these NXT with a "Speed Special" motor set and Hyperion G3 Lipo’s as soon as it comes out.
It'll be pretty much scale, and to fit retracts and insure strength will have a slightly thicker wing than scale. As I said, we'll see soon how capable of crazy speed she is. But if we're limited to even 110mph, it will still be a fantastic model to fly and look at, and I think it'll be popular.

Keep in mind that the NXT is the current world speed record holder in class, and they credit the aerodynamics for that, so she won't be "slow" in any case, I think.

Lotsa unknowns will be sorted by the upcoming test flights, but at the moment we're hoping we can do 140mph+ with about 2400W. The Ss4020 should still be quite efficient at around 100A~120A on 6S, but it'll depend on total airframe drag and how much the prop can unload.

Yes... Retracts will be tough. Actually, all the warbirds have had greatly improved retracts for a long time (and even better since FW190 release with 3.5mm egs, which all future 25e will get as well).

If the NXT works out well (110~160mph), we may consider doing an "all out" speed machine after that, using what we learned with the NXT setups.

D
Last edited by NipponDave; May 18, 2009 at 09:10 AM.
May 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam
Dave,

Sorry for the OT post but could you look into the feasibility of producing a high quality Battery OPTO Isolator/Spark Arrestor? With the trend towards HV setups an affordable unit along the lines of the Emcotec SafetyPowerSwitch would be a real bonus for HV applications!

Mike
Been thinking about it for a while now. But we have a lot of new products to work on the next 6~8 weeks, so it may be some several months before we get it (or them) out.

David
May 18, 2009, 09:09 AM
I am UNIQUE!
Dave,

Thanks for the consideration, it would certainly reduce some of the worry when connecting HV pack to the RDU!

Mike

Quick Reply