Mar 24, 2009, 11:53 PM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Thread OP
Discussion

New hyperion motors??

LHS is advertising a new range of hyperion motors, there doesnt seem to be any mention of aircraft-world.com or any of the main suppliers?

Seem to be the ZS series, and have a definite resemblance to the S30 series.

Anyone have any more details?, they seem to come with a serious price tag, but they could just be the NZ $ at the moment

An example HP-ZS2209-30 and HP-ZS4025-14
Last edited by jackosmeister; Mar 24, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2009, 12:04 AM
Thread OP
Found some details http://www.hyperion-eu.com/catalog/type/1
Mar 25, 2009, 01:04 AM
NipponDave posted about a month ago that they, Hyperion and Scorpion were getting in bed together. What an impressive offspring!
Mar 25, 2009, 01:39 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
Hi Jack,

I noticed they have the prices for the new motors; but am I missing something, or doesn't Hyperion list what their motors current capacity is? I never buy a motor unless I know what their rated power is. Is this something unique to Hyperion?

Thanks,

Chuck
Mar 25, 2009, 02:41 AM
Thread OP
Yeh they usually list amp ratings and a prop chart...
Mar 25, 2009, 07:26 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M
NipponDave posted about a month ago that they, Hyperion and Scorpion were getting in bed together. What an impressive offspring!
Do you have a link to Dave's post Peter?

I can see some of Scorpion's 'obsession' with protection against mishaps in the design, high temperature magnets and wire.

Maybe some of these other high performance speed developments went into the Hyperion (Scorpion?) design?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990566

Or am I reading too much into this?

Vriendelijke groeten Ron

Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Mar 25, 2009 at 07:36 AM.
Mar 25, 2009, 07:37 AM
Last edited by powercroco; Mar 26, 2009 at 05:09 AM.
Mar 25, 2009, 02:21 PM
Intensely Calm
I'd be interested in what Dave had to say about this as well if anyone can dig up the post or background info. Hyperion and Scorpion should make for some reasonably priced, quality stuff.

- David
Mar 25, 2009, 03:26 PM
All electric, all the time!
Agreed. I am anxious to see these in person, but have not heard of the release date as yet from the US Hyperion Distributor.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
Mar 26, 2009, 12:55 AM
I remember being so surprised at the time by NipponDave's disclosure about Scorpion that I read it three times!!! It took a little finding as it was about 3 months ago, not last month as I thought yesterday!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n#post11497331
Last edited by Peter M; Mar 26, 2009 at 01:00 AM.
Mar 26, 2009, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
Wow hyperion and Dave have been busy! Sounds like some awesome stuff is in the future!
Mar 26, 2009, 05:00 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
Wow hyperion and Dave have been busy! Sounds like some awesome stuff is in the future!
Hey Everybody,

Yes, the new ZS series motors (and ATLAS ESC, coming in about 6 weeks) are based on the products of thousands of hours of design, test, design, test over the past 18 months. Hyperion ZS motors are internally based on the newest line of Scorpion motors ("S2" series) and so share their tremendous performance. It's just nutty how much power you can pump into them, and how much comes out at the prop... Or, alternatively, they use a lot less wattage to produce the same output as the average motor on the market, which means you can use smaller (and therefore cheaper and lighter) battery packs and have them last longer.

The Hyperion ZS motors are externally different from the Scorpion in most cases, reflecting Hyperion's preferences for mounting and adapter systems, and in order to insure drop-in fit for Hyperion models.

The new ATLAS ESC will be hardware identical to the upcoming new versions of Scorpion ESC. These have been massively redesigned to provide the lowest internal resistance figures in their classes, meeting or beating even Kontronic in this respect. Many hundreds of design and test hours have been poured into firmware optimizations as well, and especially for the Governor system, which is by far the most stable we have ever tested in any brand, at this point. The new ESC also use the newest, finest (and expensive) metal FETs for superior performance and reliability. More details on ATLAS ESC later...

Sorry that we don't have full specs and test data up yet for the ZS motors. I'll try to get those done by Sunday evening [later note: It'll be Wed Apr. 2nd, sorry! Got sidetracked by ESC manual writing...] and give you the links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M
Finally, let me note that I do spend more time with Georges (Scorpion boss) on the phone than I do with my wife; and we have dinner together in Hong Kong every chance we get. Nevertheless, let me assure you that we have never - and will never - spend any time in bed together

Back at you with ZS motor details asap.

Cheers,

David
Last edited by NipponDave; Mar 29, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Mar 26, 2009, 05:13 AM
http://www.aircraft-world

Not really OT...

I just got the box label done for our big new Wolf Samson II biplane. It's a good example of why the ZS40 series motors are worth the extra money (and not THAT much extra) compared to the average motor. The recommended ZS4025-14 motor can handle 1450W on 6S with a 16x10 prop and remain highly efficient. At that level, the 8.5lb model is ballistic and fully 3D-able. No other motor we tried in the same weight class could come close to the same performance...

Samson II should be in USA on about May 15th, we expect.

D
Last edited by NipponDave; Mar 26, 2009 at 05:25 AM.
Mar 26, 2009, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Hyperion ZS motors are internally based on the newest line of Scorpion motors ("S2" series) and so share their tremendous performance.
very interesting for me, to hear about this cooperation by this way.
Last edited by powercroco; Mar 26, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
Mar 26, 2009, 05:46 AM
Thread OP
That bipe is gorgeous! Well done. The majority of my esc's are hyperions and scorpions - Good to see theyve had offsprings! Will the Atlas esc's have the same trick IR programming remote the scorpion V2's use? Or will it retain the USB plug in device?

On another note - Ive seen pictures of meaty looking scorpion inrunners, will these be part of the hyperion range?

The LHS guy who flies with me was hinting at 50C continuous discharge hyperion lipos being developed to replace the current offerings - Is he pulling my leg or is that serious???

Quick Reply