Mar 24, 2009, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Flyzone Cessna 182 Select Scale (Help)

I have had my cessna for about 2 weeks now. I am really pleased with this plane so far. On the other hand, I do have a problem. I had a hard landing which broke my nose gear and the servo horn that it is connected to. I have 2 spare nose gears sitting here, but I have no idea how to replace it. Anybody replace one yet? Does anyone have any pointers? It appears as if the nose gear was installed before the 2 halves of the fuselage were bonded together. Is this correct? The only thing I can think of is that the fuselage must be cut apart to replace the nose gear. I would appreciate any insight on this problem. Thanks
Last edited by rrracer600; Mar 24, 2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Grammar
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2009, 09:25 PM
RC Guru
The nose gear usually is held in place by a retaining collar inside of the fuse. Just loosen the hex head grub screw(s), and it should come right on out.
Mar 25, 2009, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
The nose gear usually is held in place by a retaining collar inside of the fuse. Just loosen the hex head grub screw(s), and it should come right on out.
Yeah the shaft and wheel are held in by an E clip. The problem is I need to replace the whole thing. The plastic housing and the servo horn are broken. Any ideas?
Mar 25, 2009, 09:42 PM
RC Guru
You need to cut them out of place then, and glue them back in place using either gorilla glue or sumo glue.
Apr 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
Climb & Maintain 75'

Nose Wheel help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrracer600
Yeah the shaft and wheel are held in by an E clip. The problem is I need to replace the whole thing. The plastic housing and the servo horn are broken. Any ideas?
I also have to replace the whole Nose gear. How did you make out and do you have any tips? Thanks in advance.

Thom
Apr 13, 2009, 03:34 PM
Mine broke too, and when I got the replacement I was simply articulating the shock and it broke in my hands! Piece of crap!
Apr 22, 2009, 01:21 PM
i had the same problem. the nose gear is held in there with glue. What i did was just cut out the foam around the nose so you can pull the whole thing out. Also take off the windshield and the cockpit and that gives you access to a screw that holds the control horn on.
On the new landing gear take off the control horn and install the push rod. Leave that off. After you get the new landing gear in place. Put the new control horn back on through the battery hatch(I also made that bigger by cutting out some foam) using a pair of pliers or something. After your done glue the foam back in place and you should be good to go. Oh and make sure you glue the new landing gear also.
I'm new to this also so sorry if my explanation was hard to understand. Hope it helped though.
Oct 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
CapeFlyer
This is an old thread but a persistent problem. In my case the nose gear broke but the plastic & wood housing were intact, only a bit loose. The looseness was fixed with some hot melt glue. Replacing the nose gear was tougher. The replacement comes with the plastic horn which tightens to the wheel shaft via a small screw. There's litte room to manuver inside the plane so I removed some of the foam in the cross member just above where the shaft ends using a serrated kitchen knife. This gave room for fingers to hold the horn. I then took a long thin philips head screwdriver and inserted it in the housing hole and slowly pushed it up and through the top of the plane making a small hole. Removing the screwdrive I reinserted it through the new hole in the top of plane. Loosen the screw in the horn to it's almost falling off. Put the new nose gear in (minus the housing) and while holding the housing press it into the horn (screw facing up). Then tighten the screw with the driver. Only one small hole was made in the plane, in the fuselage top between the windshield and the cowl and the bit of crossmember foam removed had no negative structural effect.
Jan 22, 2014, 11:49 AM
I know this is an old thread but for a common problem there isn't much info out there about the topic.

After 3 years of my 182 sitting in the garage I decided to try and fix the nose wheel. On my second flight I think it was I stalled after a touch and go avoiding a curb. I think I was messing with the flaps, Big No No and came down on the front gear after stalling.

I used gorilla glue for the mount and it looks like it should hold up. But the thing is the metal shaft spins freely of the rest of the plastic mount. (I turned the wheel in the picture so it makes more sense) You can also see where the plastic (fake) shock absorber broke from the wheel. Here is the problem though, I cant for the life of me figure out what holds onto the wheel pant/metal rod to turn the wheel itself. It cant really be that little piece of plastic on the shock can it? You can see where my broke from the wheel in this pic.

I have a couple ideas how to reconnect and strengthen it.But if that is the only thing holding it so it can turn the wheel I think Flyzone should could out with a new nose wheel, with aluminum parts possibly?

http://postimg.org/image/5svzyg4v7/
Last edited by reignman40; Jan 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
Mar 30, 2014, 08:05 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
The frame of my nose gear is ok but the wheel and shaft just fall out of the frame. Is there supposed to be a C clip or E clip holding this thing in? If so, how do you acccess that C or E clip?

Thanks,
Tom

Quick Reply