Mar 22, 2009, 05:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best source for Vintage/Old Timer plans?

Hi Guys,
been lurking here a while and wondered if someone can point me in the right direction for a reliable source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? I would like to find accurate plans of the following;
Draftee 75" by Shames
Gladiator 67"
Carl Goldberg Sailplane 78"
Carl Goldberg Zipper 54"
Carl Goldberg 'Tiger' Zipper 66"
Comet Clipper Mk.I 72"
Scientific Mercury 72"
I am also interested if any of these plans have R/C conversion on them.
Many thanks in advance,
Dave.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2009, 06:19 AM
-----> HERE is one good source.
Mar 22, 2009, 06:26 AM
Bob Imp
Quote:
Originally Posted by river-studio
Hi Guys,
been lurking here a while and wondered if someone can point me in the right direction for a reliable source for Vintage/Old Timer plans? I would like to find accurate plans of the following;
Draftee 75" by Shames
Gladiator 67"
Carl Goldberg Zipper 54"
Comet Clipper Mk.I 72"
Scientific Mercury 72"
I am also interested if any of these plans have R/C conversion on them.
Many thanks in advance,
Dave.
Looks like you`re a vintage fan like myself! I`ve just finished a Gladiator with plans from Derick Scott who has always been very helpful. Give him a try.
Mar 22, 2009, 08:17 AM

glad

The Gladiator is a must build for me!!! I love that model

Bill
Mar 22, 2009, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Hi, I am in touch with Derrick but he doesn't have a couple of the designs and he is 'on hold' for a few weeks while he sets up a new printer, after decorating. Yes I am a big fan of Vintage designs, they just seem to fly so much better than anything else. Mind you I also fly the odd fully moulded sailplane but they don't really hold a great deal of interest in comparison with the wonders of the Goldberg Sailplane.
Thanks guys,
Dave.
Mar 22, 2009, 10:32 AM
Back more than a decade ago, I worked on conversion of the Sailplane to radio use. Used the plan (and separate part sheet) from John Pond. Biggest problem was in that the rudder was set to one side on the plan, and did not fit. If you took a Xerox copy of it, and then cut it out, transposed it over to the rear of the fuselage area, you could readily see just why it did not fit. I don't know how they made it fit in the olden days. But points out that any re-draw has to be a copy and non-authentic.

Also do not trust the Internet plans sources. I got a noted (Other) plan recently, in which someone simply enlarged the smaller plan to a larger W/S, and claimed it was real, for that is what was mentioned on original advertisement.

Wm.
Mar 22, 2009, 12:13 PM
Dave,

I have the Sailplane and have to say that it's a "Builders" plane for sure. If you like to cut parts, then this is the plane. Beautiful flyer and for me one of, if not the nicest looking old timer of them all. If your looking for a short kit, I recomend Bob Holman over here in the U.S. He does a beautiful job with his Sailplane kit.

Bob, beautiful job on the Gladiator! Please let us know how it flys. By the way, what are you using for power?

Chuck
Mar 22, 2009, 03:10 PM
Thread OP
Your Gladiator looks great and will be interested to hear how it goes. Yes I have heard there are lots of copies-of-copies type plans out there and that's something I really would like to avoid like the plague. I have to agree that the Goldberg Sailplane is quite the most beautiful of all the Old Timer/Vintage designs, although I have a big soft spot for the Playboy Cabin and Buzzard Bombshell. I have built 3 Bombshells over the years and every one of them flew brilliantly. I have a Playboy Cabin on the building board at the moment which is going to be slightly modified and will feature the dihedral rather than the polyhedral wings.
Anyone remember the Pro-Kit range of Vintage kits that were available here in the UK about 15 years or so ago? Over engineered but very well thought out R/C conversions; just twice as much balsa and ply in the kits, than was needed to build a strong and light model.
Thanks again guys, Dave.
Mar 22, 2009, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Yes I have heard there are lots of copies-of-copies type plans out there
There certainly are.. ...if modifications are to be made, I'd prefer making them myself.....
Mar 22, 2009, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by river-studio
Hi Guys,
Draftee 75" by Shames
Gladiator 67"
Carl Goldberg Zipper 54"
---snip---
Dave.
Bob Holman and Jim O'Reilly have teamed up and offer redrawn plans and laser kits.
See:
http://www.bhplans.com/GMPg1.html
http://www.jimoreillymodelplans.com/index.htm

- Norm
Mar 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
Bob Imp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri-pacer
Dave,

I have the Sailplane and have to say that it's a "Builders" plane for sure. If you like to cut parts, then this is the plane. Beautiful flyer and for me one of, if not the nicest looking old timer of them all. If your looking for a short kit, I recomend Bob Holman over here in the U.S. He does a beautiful job with his Sailplane kit.

Bob, beautiful job on the Gladiator! Please let us know how it flys. By the way, what are you using for power?

Chuck
Thanks for your compliments on the Gladiator. I built one many years ago when I was still into oily/smellies! This new one is electric powered with a XYH 35-48 900 Kv turning a 13 " prop. This motor from Giant Cod seems to be a rip off of a Turnigy, all be it a quite sucessful one! There appears to be plenty of power but the problem I had due to the short nose caused me CofG difficulties and meant I had to change the 3s LiPo for a 10 cell NiMh pack to give me increased front weight. I haven`t had chance to test fly yet so I`m hoping this will have done the trick! I don`t remember having this problem "back then", but even keeping the tail so light as to be bordering on the flimsy this time, I still had difficulty. If anyone`s interested I`ll post pics. when it`s test flown.
Sep 18, 2011, 07:58 PM
Take a look at this thread started in mid 2010 and now up to almost 400 pages of posts with lots and lots of plans posted:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1265873
Take a look here:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/vinplandex
to search and find what has been posted in that very long thread.
Outerzone also has the plans available from download as a mirror to the RCG thread listed above.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/
Steve (WMD) has done a good job of indexing the thread and offering a second source to download the plans posted there.
Jan 23, 2012, 01:50 PM
hi all,
looking for an old plan of an rc model called 'Elektron 2'. it is in Polish and may be 50 years old.
david
Jan 23, 2012, 08:46 PM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosbaylumber

.......Also do not trust the Internet plans sources. I got a noted (Other) plan recently, in which someone simply enlarged the smaller plan to a larger W/S, and claimed it was real, for that is what was mentioned on original advertisement.
Got into a peeing match with a guy in here over the same thing. I told him the plane he had built was an enlarged Quaker Flash not a Flying Quaker and he gave me about 16 rations of crap over the whole thing. I was just being nice in case he had ideas for competeing with his plane ( it really was a blown up Quaker Flash)

Be very careful of all plans, I ignored my own advice a bit and look at the difference. The old tail was from a set of plans from 1970, the new one from a recent "redrawn" set.
Jan 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Balsa Breaks Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmeir123
hi all,
looking for an old plan of an rc model called 'Elektron 2'. it is in Polish and may be 50 years old.
david
You might try posting your search here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1265873

These guys have been coming up with a few gems and maybe they have the gem you are looking for.

Joe

Quick Reply