Scratch Built Dollar Tree Foam Planes - Page 5 - RC Groups
Dec 06, 2009, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321
Can I get plans to this super fast pusher prop? I want a plane that'll blow everyone else's at the field away -Tyler

p.s. It is illegal to gamble if your under 18, but is it illegal to make bets on whos plane is fastest? -Tyler
ya i want plans too,LOL
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2009, 09:04 PM
five by five
saturate with windex and wait 5min. if the paper doesn't fall off, spray again and wait a few more minutes. if you let the windex do the work, removing paper is a breeze.

i like using multiple types of glues when i build. each have their pluses & minuses. for laminating sheets i prefer white gorilla glue. it can be applied very thin, bonds extremely well, is super lightweight when used with water. all adhesives i've used seem to adhere better when both surfaces are lightly sanded, cleaned with denatured alcohol to remove leftover debris and oils from your grimy fingers. i wear nitrile gloves to avoid contaminating my nicely prepped surfaces as well as to keep the glue off my hands.

the foam shapes nicely with 200 to 300 grit sandpaper (never tried with paper on). i follow up with 400 wet-sanded to smooth out the areas i roughed up. 100 grit works good for surface prep prior to gluing. wet sanding keeps the mess to a minimum and significantly prolongs the life of your sandpaper. 3m rubber sanding blocks, drywall screen blocks, and the sponge type sanding blocks are extremely handy! you could probably even make a nice handy little block out of scrap readiboard

my olfa cutting mat was my best purchase EVAAAARR!

"extreme packaging tape" while a little expensive, is excellent at reinforcing foam.

"super glue" brand 5 minute epoxy gel is my fav epoxy so far.

thats all i got for now! cheers!
-sj
Dec 08, 2009, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj

my olfa cutting mat was my best purchase EVAAAARR!

-sj
You mention the Olfa cutting mat, what do you use to cut out
the parts?

Dee
Dec 08, 2009, 10:15 PM
five by five
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeSmith
You mention the Olfa cutting mat, what do you use to cut out
the parts?

Dee
#11 x-acto & a straight edge. curves i cut by hand.
-sj
Dec 24, 2009, 11:04 AM
In the 20' glider range
Does anybody know what glues dont eat dollar tree foam other than hot glue and foam safe CA?
Dec 24, 2009, 12:53 PM
Registered FFF Addict
The three main glues I use are White fast set Gorilla glue, hot glue, 5min epoxy, and Crafter's pick Ultimate glue. For most I use Gorilla. When I want something quick I use hot glue. For structural strength I use epoxy and I use Ultimate mostly for installing plastic hinges. I have used Tite Bond wood glue, but it takes a long time to set (24 hours). I dislike CAs and never use them. There are many other glues, but I find most too expensive. Some use fabri tack from wally world.
Dec 24, 2009, 02:53 PM
Foam Av8r
Ya I am with Larry the GG fast set white is my go to glue if I need something with a bit more bite and rigidity I grab up the GG orignal if I need a fast tack I will hit it with a spot of hot glue but for me it is pretty much GG Fast Set and masking tape.

OH BTW this is a $Tree fuse...
Dec 24, 2009, 06:11 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Very nice... how many of these are you making? The $tree foam seems to do good. When I get around to building one of these I may do it in $tree foam. Your opinion?

Larry
Dec 24, 2009, 07:43 PM
Foam Av8r
Larry
I am making two Version ones, one from gray depron and the other from $Tree foam.
I am also building one V2 from the plans you converted for us out of gray depron and I have a design for a coroplast model,

The $ Tree foam is good stuff to build with but you will want to make the circumference of all Formers 1.5mm larger and really should either be made from thicker material or laminated by making extra formers to glue together

alll bulkheads should either be made from 9mm depron or laminated $Tree foam also.

Larry when forming the wings you will want to use a smooth rolling stick and tape the outside of the area to be rolled so the foam don't break other than that you should be good to go using the $Tree foam.

Merry Christ-Mas evferyone!
Jan 31, 2010, 08:00 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Here's a short video of my latest Dollar Tree foam design. An SE5a.

I used the windex trick to remove the paper from the board and then re-covered it with ParkLite (Ultracote). No need for carbon spars with the covering and it doesn't add a whole lot of weight. Weighs about half what the paper does and more than doubles the original strength. In my opinion it's worth the bit of extra weight for the extra strength and rigidity. Yes, it's raining in the video and I'm not even slightly worried about the paper on the Dollar Tree foam getting wet (there is none).

Dollar Tree Foam SE5a (2 min 26 sec)
Last edited by haiduk; Jan 31, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Jan 31, 2010, 09:38 PM
Culper Junior
Nice SE-5. Care to share any specs? Where did you get the plans? Motor?
Thanks for sharing any info.
Jim
Jan 31, 2010, 10:09 PM
haiduk

great job
Feb 01, 2010, 02:00 AM
five by five
Windex FTW!

thats a great looking / flying aeroplane you built there haiduk!
-sj
Feb 01, 2010, 11:24 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Nice SE-5. Care to share any specs? Where did you get the plans? Motor?
Thanks for sharing any info.
Jim
Thanks Guys. SE5 in the video is a second prototype. Something my pops and I have been working on. I'm planning on doing a build thread with PDF plans at some time in the near future. It does make a nice parksized sport flyer (or trainer).

Some of the specs:
Wingspan: 30 inches
Wing Area: ~320 sq.inches
Flying Weight: ~12 ounces
Motor: Zoom 400 from Heads Up RC
Battery: 1300mah 2S
Last edited by haiduk; Feb 01, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Feb 01, 2010, 06:29 PM
Foam Fighter and a Bloody Mick
The RC Foam Fighters have several nice flying Foamboard plans available. Most recently the Predator(shameless plug )

http://rcfoamfighters.com/blog/?cat=11