Scratch Built Dollar Tree Foam Planes - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 05, 2009, 04:04 PM
In the 20' glider range
to get the paper off, pour alcohol over it and let it sit for 30 sec? then peel away. If it seems like it wont come off then give it more alcohol and wait. There is a swwet spot when it come off really easy. Then it takes about 1 minute to dry:0
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2009, 06:04 PM
Foam Av8r
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer94
And what do u guys use to paint that foam???I tried normal spray paint and it totaly warped.......like almost in half.
Imagine that
Lacquer based paints will eat foam
you will need to brush on a few coats of Minwax Polycrylic first if you want to paint foam with lacquer based paints.

Apple barrel water based acrylic paints work very well on foam without any kind of treatment.
Testors acrylic paints work also.
Dec 05, 2009, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan
Imagine that
Lacquer based paints will eat foam
you will need to brush on a few coats of Minwax Polycrylic first if you want to paint foam with lacquer based paints.

Apple barrel water based acrylic paints work very well on foam without any kind of treatment.
Testors acrylic paints work also.
LOL!!!!YA i heard that might happen......so luckily i used a scrap!!!
Dec 05, 2009, 06:15 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Good move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer94
LOL!!!!YA i heard that might happen......so luckily i used a scrap!!!
Dec 05, 2009, 06:34 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
I like Dollar Tree foam. I've built about a dozen planes out of it, one survives right now. I just seem to think of them as disposable for some reason... maybe because they only cost $1 to make. I'm gonna make a "permanent" version of my Weasel Jet sometime soon, now that I've cracked the 100mph barrier with it.

Yes, Dollar Tree Readiboard. $1/sheet. Going 105mph. With no carbon fiber. Just wood, foam, and balls. And 300W/lb. I built it light and low-drag and used 1/4" spruce throughout to stiffen it, leaving the paper on. I'm at 14.3oz and 280W right now with a Zinger 7x6 wooden prop being spun by a Suppo 2217-6 on a Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 30C lipo and HK 25-30A ESC.

This cheap setup is probably not the best to push this hard but I figure as long as it doesn't hit anything or anyone I'm fine. There's a thread somewhere here on it. I've got pics but they take forever to upload on my stone-age dial-up connection.

I'll try to post them later.....
Last edited by Piece; Dec 05, 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Dec 05, 2009, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP14
I like Dollar Tree foam. I've built about a dozen planes out of it, one survives right now. I just seem to think of them as disposable for some reason... maybe because they only cost $1 to make. I'm gonna make a "permanent" version of my Weasel Jet sometime soon, now that I've cracked the 100mph barrier with it.

Yes, Dollar Tree Readiboard. $1/sheet. Going 105mph. With no carbon fiber. Just wood, foam, and balls. And 300W/lb. I built it light and low-drag and used 1/4" spruce throughout to stiffen it, leaving the paper on. I'm at 14.3oz and 280W right now with a Zinger 7x7 wooden prop being spun by a Suppo 2217-6 on a Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 30C lipo and HK 25-30A ESC.

This cheap setup is probably not the best to push this hard but I figure as long as it doesn't hit anything or anyone I'm fine. There's a thread somewhere here on it. I've got pics but they take forever to upload on my stone-age dial-up connection.

I'll try to post them later.....
100 miles an hour!!!!!!!!!!I havent even broken the 40 mph barier yet......I think.
Dec 05, 2009, 08:19 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity
to get the paper off, pour alcohol over it and let it sit for 30 sec? then peel away. If it seems like it wont come off then give it more alcohol and wait. There is a swwet spot when it come off really easy. Then it takes about 1 minute to dry:0
The warm soapy water soaked in and left to dry overnight trick worked well for me - but I'm sure it wasn't nearly as much fun as sniffing alcohol
Dec 05, 2009, 08:46 PM
PF94, I got my 100mph setup for a little over $40 total.... Let's see...

Motor: Suppo 2217-6 1500kV........$20
Batt: Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 30C......$13
ESC: Hobbyking 25-30A ESC:........$10
Prop: Zinger 7x6.........................$2

Total........................................$45

Not bad, but I'm not planning on pushing it much more. I consider flat foam to be a bad high-speed material, and much past 100mph is putting me in the smash-apart-in-thin-air catergory...

Pictures are without the motor attached. You don't really get a sense of the plane without the motor and prop, but the general idea is there. I've since switched out the fuselage to be made of Dollar Tree foam instead of the pink stuff. It's a full-fuse design to cut drag and stuff.
Dec 05, 2009, 10:23 PM
RC = FUN
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1081760

This guy got his going 140 mph on a $50 setup. -Tyler
Dec 06, 2009, 12:19 AM
You REALLY shouldn't show me that stuff.... I could put that setup on a pusher jet of my own design (There's a TON more where the Weasel came from) and get 150mph easy. A forward-swept wing is faster than the one on the Speedy, I'll just say that now. Look at any serious pylon racer out there. I haven't built one out of DTF yet but I might..... Seeing as this guy pushed a Depron plane to 140mph, it shouldn't be too hard, right?

Uh-oh... I can already feel the other stuff in my head grinding to a halt as my mind starts processing the possibility of a 150mph plane for so cheap....
Dec 06, 2009, 08:43 AM
RC = FUN
Can I get plans to this super fast pusher prop? I want a plane that'll blow everyone else's at the field away -Tyler

p.s. It is illegal to gamble if your under 18, but is it illegal to make bets on whos plane is fastest? -Tyler
Dec 06, 2009, 08:54 AM
Long time newbie

de-papering readiboard

I've tried alcohol spray, spray on "awesome cleaner", glass cleaner, and what I have found ,and it was not my idea, is spray (saturate) the paper with water, let it dry completely and the paper will peel off in one full sheet. I have kept the sheets to draw on. I wish I could remember who said this first so I could give proper credit. I was skeptical but plain old water and time do work the best. Thanks to whoever it was that posted this first. I'm a believer.

Mike K
Dec 06, 2009, 10:46 AM
RC = FUN
The only problem with that it takes too long for you to soak it and get it wet. When I am at the dollar store I just pick up a bottle of their rubbing alcohol. It can get about 7-10 sheets of foamboard done. You just put it on the rag and rub on. If you do it correctly it will come off in two whole sheets. -Tyler
Dec 06, 2009, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321
The only problem with that it takes too long for you to soak it and get it wet. When I am at the dollar store I just pick up a bottle of their rubbing alcohol. It can get about 7-10 sheets of foamboard done. You just put it on the rag and rub on. If you do it correctly it will come off in two whole sheets. -Tyler
Ya i tried that the other night and it worked great!!!!
Dec 06, 2009, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP14
PF94, I got my 100mph setup for a little over $40 total.... Let's see...

Motor: Suppo 2217-6 1500kV........$20
Batt: Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 30C......$13
ESC: Hobbyking 25-30A ESC:........$10
Prop: Zinger 7x6.........................$2

Total........................................$45

Not bad, but I'm not planning on pushing it much more. I consider flat foam to be a bad high-speed material, and much past 100mph is putting me in the smash-apart-in-thin-air catergory...

Pictures are without the motor attached. You don't really get a sense of the plane without the motor and prop, but the general idea is there. I've since switched out the fuselage to be made of Dollar Tree foam instead of the pink stuff. It's a full-fuse design to cut drag and stuff.
Where did u get that motor,and wouldnt a 6x4 make that plane go even faster???