Scratch Built Dollar Tree Foam Planes - Page 258 - RC Groups
Sep 12, 2017, 06:33 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot
Is there foam core that is thicker than normal?
I've seen 1/2" Elmer's FB at Michael's :

https://www.michaels.com/elmers-0.5i.../10103358.html
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2017, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot
Is there foam core that is thicker than normal?
Home Depot, Lowes and Manards have 4x8 Sheets up to 2" thick??
Insulation Dept.
Just saying..
Later,
Lenny
Sep 12, 2017, 07:34 PM
Lowes has 1/2 in floor underlayment. Plastic film on both sides. Home Depot has it at 3/4 in thick. I use both very much.

Gord.
Sep 12, 2017, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
Lowes has 1/2 in floor underlayment. Plastic film on both sides. Home Depot has it at 3/4 in thick. I use both very much.

Gord.
Right on and I think Lowes use to have the good old blue core 1/4",
with a bundle of 50,,, 2x4 sheets I paid 32.00 bucks a bundle.
Then it went up to 90.00 special order ,
and a lot of flyers were hurting,
for something similar when they discontinued it??
The company was crazy to stop making it .

I like dollar store poster board for $1.00 per sheet that's what I use and follow Flite test for
some great builds or buy their kits..
Later,
Lenny
Sep 12, 2017, 08:06 PM
Culper Junior
http://www.parmodels.com/Plans/Lo%20and%20Slo.htm

Does anybody have any experience with this model?
Sep 13, 2017, 12:15 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Here's one I've shown before, the Flying Fish

I really wanted a slow flyer so I could put-put around the tree lines flying field we use. I needed something predictable, stable and SLOW so I could practice without fear of trashing it. So I set out to look for a slow flyer and found THIS over at Flite Test's Forum. But I found the original link on YouTube. It's a simple 3 channel high undercambered dihidral wing design that takes about 1 1/2 sheets to build. I made the original version is less than 3 hours (from start to finish over three nights after work). As you can see this baby just FLOATS.

Flying Fish Maiden 07 15 2017 (4 min 23 sec)

After a crash destroyed the original fuse I tried to build another one without a lot of success. Because it had a number of compound angles it made obtaining a mounting surface that resulted in parallel tracking for the wing and elevator almost impossible. So I redesigned it so that it featured a fuse with a regular straight walled sides. Additionally I found that this plane didn't need the weights I added to the nose, but it DID need BUNCH of downthrust. So the new design shown in the PDF features an angled motor mount

The original design called for the servos to be mounted in the front inside of the fuse near the large cut out. But I found that this location was damn near impossible to work with. I moved them to back to the tail area just in front of the rudder and elevator. This made the control rods a lot shorter and that shorter length and the guides I made from wire ties helped to reduce the amount of bending I got.

V2 (or V3,....?) featured an 1100KV motor which is much better suited (than the 2200kv motor I had originally!) to swinging the 8045 slow fly prop I installed. I also used a 25a ESC and (2) 9 gram servos for this. I can get about 10 minutes of flight time with a 2200mAh LiPo.

Flying Fish Re maiden 08 24 2017 (4 min 34 sec)
Sep 13, 2017, 01:22 PM
If you make another one and want to make it REALLY slow ...... leave off all the unnecessary weight ( tape , etc. ) , and use the lightest electronics that will fly the plane .

Here is my slowest ( paperless ) Dollar Tree Foam Board plane , NOTHING on it that it doesn't need to fly . Be sure to watch the landing at the end :

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
Sep 14, 2017, 02:31 PM
balsa or carbon is a master of lightweight builds. There must be people who can build lighter, but they live in monasteries on mountaintops in Tibet.
Sep 14, 2017, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
If you make another one and want to make it REALLY slow ...... leave off all the unnecessary weight ( tape , etc. ) , and use the lightest electronics that will fly the plane .

Here is my slowest ( paperless ) Dollar Tree Foam Board plane , NOTHING on it that it doesn't need to fly . Be sure to watch the landing at the end :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Xyjy3fcpE
Beautiful!
Only one question.
Why not put the horisontal stabilizer on the top of the fuselage, to minimize the risk of breakage at landings?

Tommy
Sep 14, 2017, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06
Beautiful!
Only one question.
Why not put the horisontal stabilizer on the top of the fuselage, to minimize the risk of breakage at landings?

Tommy
Thanks !

That plane was inspired by the FliteTest Old Fogey ↓

Sep 14, 2017, 07:11 PM
Culper Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim06
Beautiful!
Only one question.

Tommy
Bingo!
Our family had three Top Flight Schoolmasters and did that to all three.
Nobody ever noticed.
Sep 14, 2017, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Bingo!
Our family had three Top Flight Schoolmasters and did that to all three.
Nobody ever noticed.
I'll try to clear up your confusion .....

When I built that plane four years ago :

1) I put a picture of an FT Old Fogey on my computer screen
2) I ( more-or-less ) copied what I saw in that picture
3) I made a few modifications ( longer tail , dihedral instead of polyhedral )
4) I have flown it many , many times ...... and NEVER broke anything on it because it's RIDICULOUSLY slow and lightweight

Last edited by balsa or carbon; Sep 14, 2017 at 07:32 PM.
Sep 14, 2017, 07:50 PM
Culper Junior
Well....the Schoolmasters were (let me think)....two were rudder-only pulse, the third was galloping ghost. A bit heavier than your foamy and less overall control. They did slide in nice on the grass though.
Sep 18, 2017, 06:03 PM
Build, crash, repeat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyboy
Right on and I think Lowes use to have the good old blue core 1/4",
with a bundle of 50,,, 2x4 sheets I paid 32.00 bucks a bundle.
Then it went up to 90.00 special order ,
and a lot of flyers were hurting,
for something similar when they discontinued it??
The company was crazy to stop making it .

I like dollar store poster board for $1.00 per sheet that's what I use and follow Flite test for
some great builds or buy their kits..
Later,
Lenny
I bought a bundle of the Owens-Corning pink stuff that's supposed to be a bit heavier and a bit more brittle than the Dow. I haven't done anything with it because I don't want for the guys I fly with getting the wrong idea if I show up with a pink airplane. I suppose I can always paint it *sigh*...
Sep 19, 2017, 11:32 AM
Scratch builder
Craft stores sell a thicker core board but it is Elmers. This paper can be removed if you use a roller and double sided tape. it leaves the foam rough and must be sanded... at least that it what I saw on a video how to.

I recently bought some Adams board at $$$tree and found it harder to peel than previous purchases.

I soaked it good with the garden hose and let it dry. It was only slightly damp when I returned and the paper peeled off quite easily.

the water must have compromised the glue and once dry, the paper regained its strength to allow a full sheet peel.