Mar 21, 2009, 09:08 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Hi haiduk, Didn't have time to read the whole post on your other build but just wanted to type my two cents in here. Long time ago I worked for a Piper distributor and knew quite a few people at Piper. One day I was talking about cooling vents and their design. The tech said the Tomahawk fresh air vent (which is an innie) was more effective than an outtie. The vent they used was actually some sort of NACA design. Look here just ahead of the door, it's about 10" big. http://www.pipertomahawk.com/N2468N.jpg Perhaps the outtie will work better at the speeds we fly, but this worked for them. Again my two cents .
I appreciate the input. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqa
Funjet, also done with a 30 inch wing, built the same way as the BB30 but with some taper and flaperons. At the end of the video I nose it into the ground real hard, and the damage is minimal, I suspect thanks to the paper left on the foam. Motor is a 4200+Kv Outrunner in a EDF55 on 2S from here . On 3S it flies level at 1/4 throttle. 8.5 oz's AUW.

funjet
I can't help but imagine an A10 built up from a pair of those EDF's.
Last edited by haiduk; Mar 21, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2009, 10:59 AM
7000mw of raw power!
I really despise "dollar stores" that don't sell anything for a dollar. Simple fraud IMO. Specially when they are more expensive than other places like those servos.

Family "dollar" is another example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake Turbulence
You can get low priced servos from RCdollar store and fast shipping.
http://www.dollarrcparts.com/8gservo.html
Mar 22, 2009, 11:46 AM
foo
foo
Rubbing alcohol will remove the paper in jigtime,I just leave mine on.
Mar 22, 2009, 09:05 PM
Culper Junior
rich smith- I was miffed by the name Family Dollar until someone pointed out that all their merchandise was ( I guess still is) priced 'on the dollar'. ie $6.00 or $9.00, hence DOLLAR store. In their case it didn't mean it cost just a $1.00

Everything at Dollar Tree, however, costs just $1.00.
Mar 22, 2009, 10:13 PM
have foam, will fly
Quote:
rich smith- I was miffed by the name Family Dollar until someone pointed out that all their merchandise was ( I guess still is) priced 'on the dollar'. ie $6.00 or $9.00, hence DOLLAR store. In their case it didn't mean it cost just a $1.00

Yes it does , including:

Awesome in spray bottle (if you want to remove the paper)
90% Alcohol (if you want to remove the paper)
Empty Spray bottle for making 50% alcohol (if you want to remove the paper)
Hot Glue guns
Hot glue sticks
Rulers
Ruler Squares
Blades
Mechanical Pencils
Pens
Masking Tape
Clear Tape
Packing Tape
Snacks (for those late night builds)
etc....
Mar 22, 2009, 11:11 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Apparently that differs by location because I just bought some calculators (I collect them) for $1.95. Also saw some RC cars there today for $19.95. I just don't like the place and if I could have got the calcs elsewhere I would.

I love Dollar Tree and the other "true" dollar stores.

Quote:

Mar 23, 2009, 02:43 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqa
Yes it does , including:

Awesome in spray bottle (if you want to remove the paper)
90% Alcohol (if you want to remove the paper)
Empty Spray bottle for making 50% alcohol (if you want to remove the paper)
Hot Glue guns
Hot glue sticks
Rulers
Ruler Squares
Blades
Mechanical Pencils
Pens
Masking Tape
Clear Tape
Packing Tape
Snacks (for those late night builds)
etc....

I got to go to the dollar tree store.
Mar 23, 2009, 03:02 PM
Long time newbie

My Dollar tree hanger

Not the prettiest, but they're all from dollar tree foam. There were others but they didn't fly well so I didn't post them. They were good models but I am not a great builder.

Mike K
Last edited by heymak; Mar 23, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Mar 23, 2009, 03:39 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
So heres what I've been working on for the last few weeks. 2 1/4 boards of the Dollar Tree "R.L.Adams Plastics, Inc" foam board.

The black one is the first one I made useing EPS and covering it in Depron. I think I'm going to stick with the dollar tree foam. shapes easily, good solid foam when you get over 4 layers. about 4mm thick without the kraft paper on it.
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Apr 01, 2009 at 03:04 AM.
Mar 23, 2009, 03:47 PM
Eventually...I will fly
is this "dollar tree" foam the one with paper on both sides?
isn't awfly heavy for suce small planes?
Mar 23, 2009, 05:47 PM
Flying high
I just started using dollar tree foam and I really like it. In fact I am grabbing it before the depron and epp I have on my shelf, although I'm not apposed to mixing foams!

A friend of mine just used my scraps to build a Spitfire, I'll have to post a pic later.

Here is my first Dollar Tree build, the FFF Eagle. I use "Awesome" to take the paper off and then resurface it with packing tape when I'm done.

Mar 23, 2009, 07:13 PM
Long time newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran_k
is this "dollar tree" foam the one with paper on both sides?
isn't awfly heavy for suce small planes?
The paper is peeled off. At a dollar for a 20" X 30" sheet it is worth peeling. Once you peel it it's hard to tell the difference between Dollar Tree foam and midwest celfoam 88.

Mike K
Mar 23, 2009, 07:14 PM
Long time newbie
I was thinking of building this one. Was it hard to adapt it to Readiboard?

Mike K

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
I just started using dollar tree foam and I really like it. In fact I am grabbing it before the depron and epp I have on my shelf, although I'm not apposed to mixing foams!

A friend of mine just used my scraps to build a Spitfire, I'll have to post a pic later.

Here is my first Dollar Tree build, the FFF Eagle. I use "Awesome" to take the paper off and then resurface it with packing tape when I'm done.

Mar 23, 2009, 09:36 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
I spray on some denatured alchohol to pull off the craft paper.
Mar 24, 2009, 09:51 AM
Flying high
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymak
I was thinking of building this one. Was it hard to adapt it to Readiboard?

Mike K
Nope, it was actually a very easy build. The top and bottom pieces need to curve a bit, so you might need to use a little heat to get them to shape.

Quick Reply