Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 21, 2009, 04:51 PM
Build Log

40" J-3 -- Getting Back to Basics

After several far more complex projects -- and a few requests for things more simple -- I got busy and worked up this nice 40" span 3 Ch. J-3 Cub. Power will be a 4:1 IPS and a 700 2S battery. Should be just right for floating around the park when a little laid back flying is in order.

The model will have plug in wings and a side door for easy access to the battery. The plans will provide framing drawings for both fuaelage sides to make framing a bit easier.

And once it's all done, I'll be offering Short Kits just as soon as she's flown.

The build got underway by laying up the bowed outlines. For more details on how to go about that, have a look here; http://patscustom-models.com/Bowed%20Outlines.htm
Last edited by P. Tritle; Mar 21, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2009, 04:53 PM

Framing Begins with the Tail Section

The vertical and horizontal tails are simple stick frames with bowed outlines. Stron and light, and go together quickly. Hinging was done using 1/8" wide strips of thin Cya hinge stock.
Mar 21, 2009, 04:57 PM

And Then It Was On To the Wings

Framing the wings began with pinning down the trailing edge, then placing the strut hardpoints on the plans. The spars were assembled and the ribs slipped in place, then pinned to the plan and glued together with small drops of thin Cya. Then with all that secured to the board, the leading edges were glued in place.
Mar 21, 2009, 05:01 PM

Fitting the Tip Bows

The tip bows were cut at the proper angle to mate up with the leading eadge and glued in place at the LE and main spar. The other end was rough fitted to the TE, then sanded to the proper angle using a bar sander laying flat on the board. The TE was trimmed to the proper angle and the bow glued in place.
Mar 21, 2009, 05:04 PM

Finishing Up the Wings

With the general framing done, the wings were removed from the board and sanded to rough shape. The aluminum reciever tubes were glued in place, followed by the aluminum tube strut fittings which were lashed to the wing with thread and secured with thin Cya.
Mar 21, 2009, 05:06 PM

Finishing Up the Flying Surfaces

With all the major framing and shaping done the flying surfaces were given a good detail sanding and and now ready to cover. So next, it's on to the fuselage.

PAT
Mar 21, 2009, 05:26 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Pat,

Looks great! Simple has its own rewards. Will we be able to buy plans?

Steve
Mar 21, 2009, 06:59 PM
And you could also put some rubber bands in there too

charlie
Mar 21, 2009, 07:21 PM
Two left thumbs
Gosh, it's half done before you ven tell us about it! Very nice!

Geoff
Mar 21, 2009, 08:47 PM
Planecrazy in Lodi
Should make a really nice park flyer.

But Pat, please, please, please tell me you're NOT planning on finishing it in "Cub" yellow with a black "lightening bolt" running down the side!! I hope you choose one of the color schemes of one of the many full-scale Cub's that are out there that have been refinished in ANYTHING other than Cub yellow!

Oh yeah, I just gotta include my by-now obligatory "don't forget the dummy pilot"! In the rear "seat", of course!

Kermit
Mar 21, 2009, 09:02 PM
Cub yellow is nice , but maybe a little overdone !
Mar 21, 2009, 09:19 PM
FINALLY A QUALITY CUB PARK FLYER! Thank you Pat. I will be following this with great interest. Dibs on the first short kit.
Mar 22, 2009, 06:36 AM
North East England
To paraphrase Winston Churchill's 'Battle of Britain' speech...

'Never has so much been built by someone using so little'

It's about time I built a Tritle design, I'd definitely be up for buying a plan of this one.

Steve
Mar 22, 2009, 07:28 AM

Not Much Out There

Went looking through 50 pages of J-3 photos on a Google search and came up with 3 other then yellow J-3's -- which were all L-4's. Looks like the field is narrowing for the choice of a non-yellow Cub.

But. I did find a couple of great shots of the IP, and one of the early 50 HP Franklin engine.

PAT
Mar 22, 2009, 07:56 AM
Got Epoxy
OOOH, this looks to be a beauty Pat ,and just the right size , I'd say have fun with the scheme, here's a couple I found , the worlds smallest airport is a hoot , And the photo one , geez I wonder what he did for a living

Glenn
Last edited by shrub wacker; Mar 22, 2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: forgot a word