Mar 21, 2009, 07:30 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Yes, this is for real...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...newspaper.html

We are not making this up:

Barack Obama was elected commander in chief promising to run the most transparent presidential administration in American history.

This achievement and the overall promise of his historic administration caused the National Newspaper Publishers Assn. to name him "Newsmaker of the Year."

The president is to receive the award from the federation of black community newspapers in a White House ceremony this afternoon.

The Obama White House has closed the press award ceremony to the press.

From the president's official schedule:

"Later in the afternoon, the President and the First Lady will attend a reception with the National Newspaper Publisher Association in the State Dining Room, where they will be presented the Newsmaker of the Year award. This event is closed press."

Maybe they'll let the newspaper people pass the award through the fence.

Funny how often times reality is more absurd than anything one could make up.
Mar 21, 2009, 08:24 AM
Out of Time
There was a recent poll that showed that people in the 20 to early 30's age group were solid, locked-in, Obama supporters.

It doesn't matter what Obama does, they show blinding support for him.

The One could declare Himself to be the Emperor of the United States and put everyone in jail who had a real job, or take all the money away from anyone who had a dollar left over from their paycheck; the 20's to 30's demographic would follow Him straight to hell if he asked them to.

That's pretty much verified by some of what I read from various posters here in LTUP.
Mar 21, 2009, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
There was a recent poll that showed that people in the 20 to early 30's age group were solid, locked-in, Obama supporters.

It doesn't matter what Obama does, they show blinding support for him.

The One could declare Himself to be the Emperor of the United States and put everyone in jail who had a real job, or take all the money away from anyone who had a dollar left over from their paycheck; the 20's to 30's demographic would follow Him straight to hell if he asked them to.

That's pretty much verified by some of what I read from various posters here in LTUP.
I fit that age group, and I'll be darned if I follow that man anywhere, short of what I legally HAVE to follow to preserve life, limb, and the pursuit of happiness. I could just as easily to without his smoke, mirrors, and "bull fecal-matter."
Mar 21, 2009, 08:36 AM
Does anyone think that "the one" shtick is getting you anything? We, the american people declared that we will not be content to be led by the rich. Ever again. Nothing about that is deity or even hero worship. Just a guy from the street, that's got youall atwitter. I know the concept of we the people, instead of GWB's family and friends is startling. But the one stuff doesnt begin to address the mountain of work BUSH left us all. We all think Obama is more capable than many that would seek that job. No weird stuff there. We just think ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the republicans and their cockamammie theories of Reagan the actor, are tired and debunked. PERIOD. Get used to it, it is the new paradigm. Tax cuts for the rich, and merchants running roughshod over customers, will be your end. Enjoy.
Mar 21, 2009, 08:41 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2
We, the american people declared that we will not be content to be led by the rich. Ever again.
Seeing that the newly selected leader *IS* rich, that's quite funny. Doesn't say much for the people that 'declared' the above, eh?

'Just a guy from the street'? Talk about mislead...
Mar 21, 2009, 08:53 AM
Compared to the usual connections, he is very selfmade. Unlike all the parade of wastril rich family cstoffs. Bush was a mommas boy. McCain was carried by the family name. Even Bush 1 was carried by family money. What could possibly be more all american than a man that writes his own ticket? Who could lead us all more capably? His chestnuts were never pulled from the fire! He made his luck. His roots are skindeep. Unlike most of the others that likely would tell you about their mayflower relatives.
Mar 21, 2009, 09:28 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I remember when George HW Bush was elected and Peter Jennings said that he was the wealthiest president we've ever had. I can't remember who they compared him to out of history but Jennings was certain that comparatively speaking ole George was richer.

Of course I didn't take that as anything more than opinion but I think it at least drives home the point that he is/was wealthier than any president he knew.

FWIW, I always liked George HW Bush and felt bad when he lost his re-election. I never did warm up to Clinton or GW and it's too early in Obama's term for me to say.
Latest blog entry: Something old is new again
Mar 21, 2009, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Does anyone think that "the one" shtick is getting you anything? We, the american people declared that we will not be content to be led by the rich. Ever again. Nothing about that is deity or even hero worship. Just a guy from the street, that's got youall atwitter. I know the concept of we the people, instead of GWB's family and friends is startling. But the one stuff doesnt begin to address the mountain of work BUSH left us all. We all think Obama is more capable than many that would seek that job. No weird stuff there. We just think ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the republicans and their cockamammie theories of Reagan the actor, are tired and debunked. PERIOD. Get used to it, it is the new paradigm. Tax cuts for the rich, and merchants running roughshod over customers, will be your end. Enjoy.
Great rhetoric old friend, but not quite reality.

The reality is that for the time being anyway, there are still three economic classes in this country, the poor, the middle class, and the wealthy.
There's a reason for that, (generalizing) most poor people tend to be uneducated, or are prone to making bad life choices, or are not motivated (for what ever reason).
The middle class are generally educated, skilled, motivated, make thoughtful choices, and have learned to live and work within our capitalistic economic system.
The wealthy tend to be highly educated, extremely motivated, make wise life and business choices, and are usually the moving force behind the overall economy.

While many people blame the rich and business for their being poor, mostly because of the difference in their lifestyles.
Because of this, Business and the wealthy are always targets of opportunity for higher taxes, more regulation, and open contempt.
But as in your post, where you claim words to the effect that "the American people will no longer be content to be led by the rich", who I ask you will you have lead America, if not the well educated, if not the inventors, the investors, the producers of goods and services, if not the small businesses, and the large corporations who actually produce wealth.

Two facts that we should not lose sight of,

1- The US government is the countries largest employer, yet it produces no wealth, -0- wealth, any moniey that the government uses it got from taxing those that do produce wealth and provide jobs, aka. the wealthy.
2- Without the tax revenue generated by the wealthy in this country, what would happen to the social services that we have come to depend on, or the social safety net that the poor depend on for help ?

One parting question, how many jobs have you held that were provided to you by a poor person, the answer is most likely, none.

Any of us who remember when this country lost it's major industries, textiles, shoes, small appliances, electronics, electrical components, and many more, know, or should know that they were lost not because politicians didn't act, they were lost because they couldn't compete in the labor market, and most Americans withdrew their support for "buying American".
What you preach, target the rich, make them the bad guy, the cause of all your problems, punish them with higher tax rates and a bigger share of the burden, is going to put this country back to those days, but this time, there will be no back up business to take their place.
What you're advocating is the killing off of the golden goose that provides the means for your sustainence and your security.
Mar 21, 2009, 10:03 AM
Quote:
yes wealth comes from the bottom up i forgot! the problem with that is a lot of the bottom will spend their money on drugs!!!!
Mar 21, 2009, 10:06 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Could someone explain to me the point of this thread?
Accepting an award is not part of the government process.
Next the right will be complaining that there aren't cameras in every single room in the Whitehouse, and that we don't know what Obama ate for breakfast this morning.

Pat MacKenzie
Mar 21, 2009, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
Could someone explain to me the point of this thread?
Accepting an award is not part of the government process.
Next the right will be complaining that there aren't cameras in every single room in the Whitehouse, and that we don't know what Obama ate for breakfast this morning.

Pat MacKenzie
they are accepting a reward from the press at a closed press event....you dont see the irony in that?
Mar 21, 2009, 10:11 AM
You are so right. I mean the IDLE RICH. The old moneyed insular wastrils.

When I envision Obama, I dont get rich. I get go getter. That he has money is kinda incidental.

[[[[[[[[[and many more, know, or should know that they were lost not because politicians didn't act, they were lost because they couldn't compete in the labor market]]]]]]]]]]]]

We could compete. The model of keeping our hands clean shuffling papers, while darker peoples toiled for our lifestyles, seemed obviously treacherous national security when Reagan first conveyed it. I knew then and there, that not only would this country fail, but that they would own us. Just as was predicted many years ago. The west will provide the shovels with which we will bury them. How much more plain can you get?
Mar 21, 2009, 10:16 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
IIRC these press award things are often "off the record".
Basically a chance for everyone to say stupid things.
Obama should have saved his bowling "joke" for this crowd.

Pat MacKenzie
Mar 21, 2009, 10:16 AM
[[[[[[[[[[[What you preach, target the rich, make them the bad guy, the cause of all your problems, punish them with higher tax rates and a bigger share of the burden, is going to put this country back to those days, but this time, there will be no back up business to take their place.]]]]]]]]]]

Just because I dont trust the Rich to lead us impartially, does not mean I target them. To emphasize richness being worthiness, thrift, right choices, proper character, leads to the Republican kneejerk reaction to blame the poor and ill for dragging us down. This is PRECISELY why we cannnot tolerate the RICH ruling us.
Mar 21, 2009, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
IIRC these press award things are often "off the record".
it's not even "off the record"...this event, while closed to the press, was,
nevertheless, open to newspaper reporters. The right-wing is falling
all over herself these days. Make sure you stay out of her way
Last edited by peterp1964; Mar 21, 2009 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply