Mar 21, 2009, 03:36 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Discussion

Dirty Birdy...Plans, Video

Is it a New Idea ?.... No Has it been done before ?...... Yes

To fly with the Birds or get them to either look or attack has its attraction. After looking, learning and reading through Lee's Perigrine Thread ( Thanks lee ) https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950519 I built a 36 inch KF2 Magpie based on the plans from Warhead and Praymond ( thanks fella's ), you'll find these plans here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950519 Post 46.

With the Magpie I played with the Fuse, V-Tail and Wing. We dont have eagles where I fly ( wish we did ). The resident Magpies loved it. Didn't matter where I flew it the Birds came out to look. With the Dirty Birdy I tried encompass what I had learnt with the Magpie and change a few things. The construction is basic and it doesn't take long to cut out and add electrics. Its pretty simple. You can color it for the local bird population that are in your area. Its pretty generic. You can make it a Seagull, Parrot, Magpie etc by adding color

Foam - 10mm EPP. FFF,Depron etc should not be a problem

W/Span -36 inch Weight - 5oz without Batt

BW 1300 Kv 8040 prop Batt 800mah 3 cell

CG - Approx 1 1/4 inch from front of wing. Adjust to suit your style

V-Tail is set at 120 degrees 1/4 inch Dowel ( 7 inchs Long ) 5 inchs for the V-Tail and 2 inchs to attach to the top of the wing.

Dihedral is 2inchs under each Tip. Once the wing dihedral is set you then cut the Wing Tips marked on the plan ( not all the way through ) and add 15 degrees up using the jig in the plans. Its just a flat plate wing with dihedral.

The fuse is made from 4 flat pieces of foam. Might be more depending what material ( thickness ) and gear you use . I'll add pictures a bit later.

Dirty Birdy (1 min 27 sec)

Here's another video by Cefesky of Helix flying his Dirty Birdy in Spain.

http://nasgul.blogspot.com/2009/04/pollo-pera.html

PLEASE NOTE : I have add the Fuse in Letter and A4 Tiled and replaced the original Fuse PDF's. Dekan Pointed out a problem with the Fuse PDF's . Which has now been rectified .Thanks Dekan

I apoligise for any inconvience I have caused. :D
B x
Last edited by Boxhead; Apr 27, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2009, 03:36 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
More Photos to be added

First Set of Photos is for making the V-Tail

The body of the bird is 4 pieces. You have cut out 2 X Bird Body ( the Big Ones ). One of these is set aside until the bird has it electrics fitted. It is the trimmed etc to fit and is just spot glued on to give you the finished Bird.

Take one of the Birds Body ( Big One ) and glue the Centre front on it. Make sure everything is centred. You can add a couple of Bamboo skewers either side and sandwich them between the two for strength. Just like the pic below.

Then glue the battery cutout part of the fuse ( second largest piece ) to the above. Making sure it is aligned and centred to the rear as per plan.

Once finished then you can cut out where the Battery Bay is marked. Once this is done you can cut down the rear centre of the fuse but not all the way through the foam. The reason for this is...... when the wing is fitted to the fuse ( glued leading edge to the front of the fuse body ( centered and level )the body then can be bent up to the wing and glued.

The wing is cutout from the plans. Since my wing was one piece I then cut through the centre of it ( chord ) from the bottom of the wing but NOT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE FOAM. I then placed my spar at 3 inchs from the leading edge. Over lapping it in the middle and mine extends out to near the wing tip joint both sides. The dihedral is then 2 inchs under each tip. The centre of the spar is then glued as well as the Centre of the Wing ( Chord ) where I cut it.

Once finished its time to do the dihedral on the wing tips. Turn the wing over and place the wing tip on a flat surface. The botton of the wing is looking at you. Once again cut through where the wing tip joint is marked on your wing but once again not all the way through. Now pin the WING TIP Jig to the wing and the Wing tip. It will lift the wing tip up 15 degrees. Glue the joint. The wing is now finished.

Now mate the fuse and the wing. Glue the Leading edge to the fuse. Making sure its level and straight with the fuse. Once this is done you can now glue the split rear of the fuse to the bottom of the wing right up to the leading edge.

Now its time to glue the V-Tail to the Top of the wing at the rear. The front of the V-Tail comes level with the rear of the wing. I put a couple of 5mm ( 1/4 inch ) runners both sides on the wing so the dowel has something to keep it straight and to glue too. Slide the completed V-Tail into the guides. I use 5 min epoxy to glue it in as it gives you time to make any final adjustments. Make sure everthing is level and glue. The dowel is 7 inchs long. 5 inchs for the V-Tail and the 2 inchs protruding to glue and secure to the top of the wing between dowel runners.
Last edited by Boxhead; Mar 22, 2009 at 02:28 AM.
Mar 21, 2009, 05:31 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
About time too.... Box

Only problem is I have a new job....So I'm away for the next few weeks training.. So no time to build it...but as soon as time permits I will get on the case
Mar 21, 2009, 05:56 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Congratulations Dekan.. . I can uncross my toes and fingers for you now. That's Great news my friend.

I wish you all the Best of Luck with your New Job.

B x
Mar 21, 2009, 06:18 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Box, that will surely will fool the birds.... looks like one in the air...SUPER!!!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Mar 21, 2009, 06:50 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Thanks Dekan and GPW for the kind comments. A Seagull for Dekan and a Vulture for GPW. Add a bit of color and the Buggers wont know the difference. A Generic Bird so to speak the Dirty Birdy is.

B x
Mar 21, 2009, 07:30 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Thanks for all the support...It helped imenslly... it's always tough....but in a world that seems detemined to go down the tubes, in order to save a few b**kers their life styles and pensions...

Your a clever s*d BoX... l like to look at your take on these things.... as I know that one of your designs, will be as simple as it is practical..

It looks a real winner mate If Gpw likes it, you must be on track!
Mar 21, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hey Box, that's a nice bit of engineering!! Congrats!

I have to make one like yours now. My grandson is wanting to fly me big FF one this spring, and I've been reluctant to let him as I've repaired the wing on mine many times from my own escapades with it. Epp and a smaller WS will do the trick.

No hollow body to fuss with, no wing to bolt on, BW motor--- you've got it all there!

Can you post a pic of it from thebottom with the geat mounted??

paul
Mar 21, 2009, 07:45 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Hey Dekan you can thumb your nose at the Buggers now. Best Economic News I've heard in a Long Time, you getting a start. Good Onya Pal...

Praymond, thanks for starting this. Your info and drawings to Warhead where invaluable. Hope it lives up to it. With the Epp I used a soldering iron to make a sunken area for the esc and the motor leads. The rx was put underneath behind the Batt area. I Just cut an area out and velcroed the rx in. then covered it with tape. Once the electrics are fitted the last piece of foam ( Bird Body ) which we made 2 off is then cut around the servos and hollowed out a bit and then placed and spot glued to the wing and fuse. Color it to what Bird you want to harrass and add the eyes. I use full throws on mine and started off with about 1/4 reflex. The motor is set at about 5 degrees down thrust and about 2-3 degrees right thrust. Then adjusted to suit. I'll add more pics tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

B x
Last edited by Boxhead; Mar 21, 2009 at 08:18 AM.
Mar 21, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hey I'm just a copier-LOL, you've taken it to another level.

I just emailed a FB to see if I can get some of his 10mm epp stash.

Is that a cf wing spar? or bamboo

paul R

I just played you vid again on utube, and noticed there's a real bird on your 6 at the beginning!
Mar 21, 2009, 08:08 AM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Praymond, I use Bamboo. They sell cheap Bamboo Blinds over here. Its about 1/4 wide and about 1/16 ich thick. I modified a soldering tip so I can sink it into the foam. Yep your right, there's always a Bird having a look.

They Like to have a look. Her's one from about a month or two ago.
Flight of the Magpie 0001 (0 min 39 sec)

B x
Mar 21, 2009, 08:15 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Not quite at the nose thumbing stage yet....

I haven't quite worked out how the tail feathers are fitted... but a few more post and I'm sure all will be revealed.
No KF wing?
Last edited by dekan; Mar 21, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Mar 21, 2009, 04:18 PM
Look outside the Square
Thread OP
Thumb your nose anyway . I've attached some more pics above in the build log. But heres some more. Hopefully this will explain it. Your right No KF on this one.

B x
Mar 21, 2009, 04:58 PM
hey box how about a lettertiled pdf of the fuse also
thnx justflyin
Mar 21, 2009, 05:20 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Box... Sorry to be so thick... but I have got it now.

Quick Reply