Feb 01, 2011, 04:44 AM
YAY my first post!
Sorry for bringing up old post...
I like to know how you tie the carbon rod?
What kind of string to tie?

Thanks,
Sham
Last edited by shm900; Feb 01, 2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Making one
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2011, 03:58 PM
IFO's are planes too

Thats a wrap

HI Shm900,
I use 100% spectra 30lbs test fishing line for wrapping the CF rod; then CA the joint and use kicker which speeds the curing. Kevlar thread works too but is expensive. Here's a site that has the line. http://www.alltackle.com/power_pro.htm. Just about any fishing tackle shop should have this line.

Start off with a slip knot and wrap about 8 times. Tie off the end real good; then CA the joint all the way round to make sure you get a good solid glue joint. I like to use kicker (CA accelerator) to harden the CA. So just give it a spray or two and your good.

Here's where the IFO kite nuts hang out if your into RC kites.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262563
This thread your posting to is a good build.
Let me know if you need anymore help?
Al, The Kite Guy......
Mar 24, 2011, 07:35 AM
Thread OP
The cheapest good thread is used in upholstery work and can be bought in bulk on ebay...
I got 3000 meters for about £7 + post....and you will pay much more if you use the fishing threads..
you can buy short lengths 80-100m at any sewing shop for a couple of £s

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brown-Nylon-Bo...item230f5137c5
Apr 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
here is an earlier plan but requested for centimeters...dont worry aout the funny numbers round them all out to the nearest cm
Last edited by davereap; Apr 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Sep 08, 2011, 07:10 AM
3Disaster
Hinge type? Any good way to hinge control surfaces?
Sep 21, 2011, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
On most of these the end of the rods on the curved control surface are attached to a bits of tube which can rotate on the kites rear cross bar..
there should be pics somewhere
yes back to post 1 pic 2..you will see where the ends of the control surface are tied to tubes... post 2 pic 1 has a close up view which also shows the horns tied to the same rods...
First horns were made from plastic but aluminium is much better...another improvement is to use a longer tube and then add another rod from the tube going further out on the curve.. this gives better leverage..see post 14 pic2
Last edited by davereap; Sep 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Oct 19, 2011, 04:32 AM
the answer 42 is
Hey guys

I am planning to rebuild my kite but I think my power unit is tooooooo heavy and I was wondering what motors are you guys using?? any hobbyking link will be appreciated

regards

EZ
Nov 04, 2011, 04:44 AM
Thread OP
what motor depends on how big you make your version...
The basic simple kite is using a 1300 kv motor like this... Nicknamed the Blue Wonder..which now come in a variety of colors..
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1300kv.html
which give about 14oz thrust... so you want an AUW of 8-10oz max for good fun
I generally pick a motor that has 1.5-2 times the thrust available compared to the models weight
This 1300 version is good on 3 cells and an 8x4 gws
On2s use a much bigger prop..
If you use 2 cells then an 8x4.3sf and a 1700kv version of the same motor also works well..
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5208
Last edited by davereap; May 06, 2015 at 03:06 AM.
Nov 12, 2011, 04:41 AM
Thread OP
here are the lines for an IFO shaped kite
another basic kite that is an easy build
The two additional curved rods on the wing make for a stiffer structure
Apr 21, 2012, 02:20 AM
Thread OP
Here posted by jeeperb on the nightkites thread his build of the simple...a nice neat and clean build
Feb 17, 2015, 08:23 AM
Hello Dear, I want to buy this RC air kite , Can you tell me any site or person who is selling this Kites
Feb 17, 2015, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Hi all ....

This info is repeated in my night kites thread....here

I thought I must share the simplest kite build with more people because it has turned out to be such a great flier.
The Simple type kite shape is derived from others being sold, these people sell one similar ..as do others
http://www.goflykite.com/
as do these
http://www.acehobby.com.sg/

Ive now finished the Simple build..... an easy fly COG is 5 -5.5" back from the front cross bar

Materials
CF rods... fuz..4mm cross bars..3mm side rods..2.5mm elevons..2mm tail..1mm Bits of tube to go over the 3mm rod for hinges ...bits of tube for fixing the tail (for a removable tail)....
Fabric..polyester liner (my favorite) or rip stop.... thread..upholstery thread is very strong..... uhu por or similar suitable contact adhesive.... CA thin-med...

method
All rod joins are bound with plenty of thread, then CA'd to fix

1.....From the plan cut the rods for the main fuz. and the front and rear cross bars make them 1" oversize to help with binding.
Locate, bind with thread and CA, so they are nicely central and at right angles..
2....Add a couple of 3mm braces from the front cross bar to the fuz..
3....Add a short length of tube to each end of the front cross bar at an angle of 60 degrees to take the front bumper

wow am I glad to be browsing!

this is such a great idea you have!

I will definitely try to build one with my kids.

it should be a lot of fun

Just a quick question:
how does it fly in windy condition?
Feb 25, 2015, 02:33 AM
NewFlyer
Here's the duo waiting for electronics.
Apr 30, 2015, 03:35 PM
Solar Powered
Hey Dave, i just built one of these things, i'm going to go maiden it in a little while. It's gonna be my first try at this kite thing, it looks like it's gonna be a ton of fun. Now i just need some lights!
Last edited by Rusty Mustard; Apr 30, 2015 at 03:48 PM.
Apr 30, 2015, 05:38 PM
Solar Powered
It flies, and i mean it FLIES!

Wow, what a fun machine! I took it out to the park and after the first flight of overcontrolling and PIO, i dumbed down the travel and dialed some exop and it flew like a dream!

I' ve go the Cf2822 swinging 1047 on 2s 1300 and it's beast! Hovers at under half stick and turns on a dime bank n' yank. The foam fin is temporary, i may add a rudder later, but tonight or tomorrow i'll build a carbon loop fin and get it attached. I've got about 15 minutes of flight time out of a 1300, so hopefully i can get close to 30 with a 2200 if i baby it.

I also broke my prop and had to switch to an 8040, which was barely enough to keep it flying on the wing at full power. I need to get some more 1047 props now!

Quick Reply