Mar 12, 2009, 10:33 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

been sailing my new IACC 65

finally had a chance to build a muck about boat for myself in between work and building my 507 footys for people, heres the video and some pics!
ac 65 go spectre dot com (0 min 42 sec)

andrew
Last edited by gospectredotcom; Mar 13, 2009 at 02:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2009, 06:08 AM
Silly Old Fart
Andrew, why is the video shown in a slot?

Boat looks good, is it an RG65?
Best wishes.
Mar 13, 2009, 06:29 AM
Thread OP
it was shot in panorama mode and rotated 90 degrees! , so that must be why its narrow.
its 65 cm long, i guess it could race as a rg65 thought they seem a lot bigger .
Mar 13, 2009, 11:13 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospectredotcom
it was shot in panorama mode and rotated 90 degrees! , so that must be why its narrow.
its 65 cm long, i guess it could race as a rg65 thought they seem a lot bigger .
If its 65 cm + 0.5 cm with a bumper on the front of 0.5 + 0.1 cm, with no more that 110 cm mast from top to deck and 2,250 sq. cm of sail area, it'd meet the class rules as an RG65.
Beam seems to range from 12-18 cm and 1 kg is a good gross target weight with half as ballast.
Mar 13, 2009, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
thanks martin, knew you would know!!

yes she was built to fit those rules. bulb is 550grams hull with rc gear is around 200-350 as this is a solid test mule. can shed considerable weight.

pictures show aa batteries being used , but once again the aaa s save another 50 or so grams i think it is.

its fun anyway!!

Ac
Mar 13, 2009, 10:58 PM
Useful Idiot
Is she vac-formed in the same way as your footies? Downsizing the servos is another useful way of losing weight; a micro with 1 kg of torque for the rudder and something like a GWS micro 2BB MG for the sail control.
Mar 14, 2009, 03:47 AM
Thread OP
thanks martin! currently she is composite, the guys want some to play with and are urging me to vac form some, we may do. have a new cnc cutting bed so are thinking of using it to make the tooling. boat uses hitec mini servos as i use on my 507 footy, so weight is low. im estimating hull and deck vacformed will be about 100grams or less, i tend to make the footys heavier and durable to help people get into the sport and enjoy it. overall alinghi looks mean and as a semi scale boat sails really beyond my initial expectations. have b and c rigs as an option also. mast height is 80 something cm and beam is 100mm , thats what i ment by small for a rg 65, but with the scale overhangs thats what you end up with! may build another two to have americas cup racing , they are easy to transport as i have designed them to ship in mailing tubes and fit in the car in plumbing pipe. only need foldup radio transmitter!
we shall see!!
Mar 14, 2009, 07:08 AM
Useful Idiot
The overhangs certainly give a more scale look and may even lose little performance wise in light winds with the reduced wetted area. I might be interested in receiving a mailing tube from Oz if mailing charges do not put it out of reach.
Mar 14, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thread OP
i will most certainly get you one if we go ahead martin!

at the moment its my play toy, but i want some more, so never know!

(its actually jumped past my mini transat and trimarans in likely hood of being made. too many protoypes and toys!!)
Mar 30, 2009, 06:21 AM
Thread OP
sailed against micro magics briefly yesterday, had good pace , but mains not sheeting fully in yet so height not so great. mainsheet post came loose and lots of water in , but still fasterthan the mm's!!
will pull her apart and make a mold soon, i need another one so we can match race properly!
Mar 30, 2009, 08:49 AM
Useful Idiot
When all's sorted out, including mould for vac forming, send me a PM with cost plus postage and we can have some virtual racing at least.
Mar 30, 2009, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospectredotcom
(its actually jumped past my mini transat and trimarans in likely hood of being made. too many protoypes and toys!!)
Just a quick note that some of us are discussing and couple are building trimarans to the RG-65 size. Germany has one sailing (with pics) of Depron foamboard. I just posted lines reduced of GHOST TRAIN to a 65cm size, and another from France is also sending me line ideas for a miniTRI. Check in the Multihulls section on RCSailing.net as reference. I have a feeling, (depending on price) a set of vacuum formed hulls might find a niche market. BUT - don't take my word for it - please do your own marketing analysis - I could be wrong.
Mar 30, 2009, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
any idea if there are any plans for the depron boat, will build one to try them!!
my one metre tri is to big to carry around
Mar 30, 2009, 04:23 PM
One of the German guys emailed me a photo of the "drawing" that Peter did before building his tri. Not much there - you can use one of Ernst Zeamann's drawwings of a box section Mini40 and reduce - kind of the same cross section concept.

I also received a set of lines for a tri and like Peters "Deproni" boat, it has nice side view lines, kind of a trapazoid (not full "V" shape) hulls with flat bottom. They went with flat bottom to speed up the build process and the boat of Peter's - if you look - is panel foamboard with what looks like yellow electrical tape holding all sides together.

The attachment (Excel) was sent to me by a French multihull & RG-65 monohull enthusiast can't be uploaded. Sorry

ADDED: PDF format conversion of only the side view of the RG sized, flat bottom multihull

ADDED #2 - thisis 75 cm size - not 65 cm. !
Last edited by Dick L.; Mar 30, 2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added PDF file
Mar 31, 2009, 12:35 AM
Thread OP
yes have talked with Ernst and have a few of his drawings, just be good to hunt down the deproni dwgs and make one up quickly as a proof of concept.

after that , yes can vac form a few when the two of us finalise a design.

Ac

Quick Reply