Mar 11, 2009, 09:24 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

HXT D2211-1700 (~1570Kv)

Steve Atchison (Butch777 of 'Boomer' fame) has lent me a smorgasbord of motors to try out. Amongst them was this little HXT D2211-1700, said to weigh 16g. Whether these motors really do vary in weight, or the guys who post reviews on the HC website have weird scales, there seems no consensus on the "real" weight (anywhere from 14g to >20g is mentioned). All I can say is that the one I have, with 2.5mm MP Jet Gold connectors soldered to the leads, came out at exactly 20g on my Ohaus (that does not include the supplied mount, nor the hefty prop adapter).

This 9-arm, 12-magnet motor has a 2mm shaft (9.5mm exposed), and is 22.25mm OD and ~14mm deep. It has a 10mm long, 6mm bearing tube. Since all my Jerry Blake stick mounts are for 8mm or 10mm bearing tube motors, I had to come up with a method to attach this one to my test stand. Rube Goldberg (US) and Heath Robinson (UK) combined to glue the supplied X-mount to a small square of ply, then glue that to a Jerry Blake 8mm mount! Worked like a charm for a tiny motor like this, in pusher configuration - but relying on glue alone is not recommended for larger motors in tractor configuration!

I used a Phoenix 25A ESC, simply because it had the correct connectors to match those I'd fitted to the motor leads (a Phoenix 10, and 1.8mm MP Jet Gold connectors would have been more than adequate, but I've run out of males of those).

I ran some no-loads (gathering rpm from the Eagle Tree) and then 6x3 GWS HD and 7x3.5 GWS HD props on the typical 7v-11v regime. I also tried a 7x4 APC SF and an 8x3.8 APC SF at 7v-8v.

This is a really nice little motor - it started and ran absolutely smoothly with the PH 25 set on defaults. Yes, it started to get a bit hot during the 7x3.5 GWS HD series at 11v, but that was at a peak of 5.90A/64W, which is a fair amount for a 20g motor. The 8x3.8 APC SF was not as successful - though this is the prop recommended on the HC site it is clearly far too much for this little motor unless WOT was limited to only seconds at a time - even at only 7v it was starting to get warm and at 8v (possible from a really good little 2s pack) it was cooking! The load is too great - at 7v, the RPM as a percentage of Kv x V was only 56%; and at 8v, only 51%! With the 6x3 GWS HD at 7v it is 85%, and even at 10.9v it is still 79%.

Here are some photos and the Table.

Cheers, Phil
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Mar 12, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2009, 03:19 PM
Good to see that, being safety concious as always, you keep a container of cooling fluid handy for a motor that may generate dangerous heat levels while undergoing testing.
Mar 11, 2009, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
"Beaded bubbles winking at the rim" is the quote which comes to mind - though I assume that refers to champagne - author long since forgotten, I'm afraid!

With all the permutations and combinations that testing requires, it is usually my brain which over-heats before the motor - hence the need for the liquid cooling agent.

Since Fosters comes in a 26oz "oil-can", perhaps I can justify the glass of ale as a "necessary lubricant".
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Mar 11, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Mar 11, 2009, 09:03 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
We need to send you some proper beer mugs for a good stout ale! Robert
Mar 12, 2009, 12:04 AM
that looks very professional.
Mar 12, 2009, 08:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1
We need to send you some proper beer mugs for a good stout ale! Robert
I don't like thick-rimmed beer mugs - I love those delicate "brandy snifters" - especially since they hold the full 26oz!
Mar 12, 2009, 08:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa
that looks very professional.
I hope that the results I get are "scientifically accurate", and thus, in that sense, "professional", but it's actually "very amateur" since I don't get paid for my work!
Mar 12, 2009, 05:16 PM
Another very useful set of results, thanks.
Never seen a 8 x 3.8 GWS HD though.
I use the 8 x 4 HD on mine and it hauls a Pico Tiger Moth around with ease. Nice little motor.
Mar 12, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley
Another very useful set of results, thanks.
Never seen a 8 x 3.8 GWS HD though.
I use the 8 x 4 HD on mine and it hauls a Pico Tiger Moth around with ease. Nice little motor.
Oh heck! my mistake... that's an 8x3.8 APC SF... give a minute and I'll redo it.

Edit: Done!
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Mar 12, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Mar 12, 2009, 06:03 PM
Those are some impressive g/W figures... especially for a small motor, ISTM.
Mar 12, 2009, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
I have got to say I am am very impressed by a <$10 motor.. I wonder how it compares with the Turnigy version (which costs a full 59c more!).
Mar 12, 2009, 07:52 PM
"With the 6x3 GWS HD at 7v it is 85%, and even at 10.9v it is still 79%."

Thanks for the testing Doc.
I'm surprised the efficientcy is very decent. Looks like the 6x3 does well.
I'm running the 7x35 on one of my EPP Bipe's on 3's and not using full power except for bursts and after some voltage drop. The motor doesn't seem hot to the touch.
I have the 6x3 on a Hacker Bandito and it has more than enough power. Butch
Mar 12, 2009, 08:08 PM
200 mph club
I have 7 of these and run them on my 4.5 ~ oz. F3P planes with a GWS 8X4.3 prop. motor never even gets warm!
Mar 12, 2009, 08:18 PM
Thread OP
I'd better try 8x4.3 on perhaps 6.8v-7.0v just to see what it does on the bench - naturally that's worst case scenario - obviously in-flight makes a difference, and I'm glad it works well.
Mar 12, 2009, 09:34 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Might have to try one on the cobweb im building for the grandson. Ya I know had it for along time just waiting untill he said can I fly something? Robert

Quick Reply