Mar 09, 2009, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Winch parachute - becoming a rare species

I just lost my faithful parachute of 17 years (it is flying somewhere north of Houston). So I decided to do a little looking on the internet but I can not seem to find one.
I contacted Don at Highlaunch, he is out and will not be getting new ones in. Tom at F3X is also out and no ETA.

What other sources can you think of?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2009, 04:16 PM
nlpken

Winch Parachutes

Check the Hose Monster website - I believe it is aerofoam.com. Our club bought several a couple of years ago - they are excellent.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Mar 09, 2009, 04:19 PM

Chutes by Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite makes a great 'chute for winch use:
http://4mrkite.com/Chutes.html

-Ben
Mar 09, 2009, 04:27 PM
I just wanna fly
I'll second the chutes from aerofoam. Bright flourescent orange with great reinforcements. Mine works great!
Mar 09, 2009, 04:55 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Ditto to Ben's post. I have one of Mr. Kites chutes, it's top quality!
Mar 09, 2009, 05:13 PM
Got Mine From N.e.sailplane , No Problem . I Get Them 2 At A Time
Mar 09, 2009, 05:53 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Sorry gotta ask how did it come off the winch line?

Soar Dude
Mar 09, 2009, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Well Mr. Soar dude, since you asked ...
Saturday around noon it was blowing 20 mph plus at our field in Houston, Texas. At the top of the launch, I stepped on the pedal and I witnessed what I believed to be a line break. I saw the chute flying back but could not keep an eye on it (there was nobody else at the field to help). I was surprised to find that the line had not broken in fact the swivel was still attached. What was missing was the chute and the welded ring.

I spent the next half our walking around and back as far as 1/2 mi but no sign of the chute.
Mar 09, 2009, 09:13 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Wow a ring break now that's some force.
Mar 10, 2009, 04:28 AM
May the Wind Always be Good
Thanks Ben The best way to get a hold of me right now is an Email or a PM Thanks Mr. Kite
Mar 10, 2009, 05:56 AM
Another vote for Mr. Kite. Light, strong, colorful, and very well made.

Roger
Mar 10, 2009, 06:23 AM
Johnny Berlin usually has a bunch in stock.
Latest blog entry: Is-4 Jastrzab Build
Mar 10, 2009, 06:24 AM
Broken rings are usually the result of enough years / times slamming the chute around/through the turnaround.
Mar 10, 2009, 06:26 AM
If you don't need chutes in a rush, then buy some raffle tickets from the F3b site. Chutes are one of the prizes or you could be unfortunate and win a JR 12X or High End and any one of the other cool prizes.

http://www.teamusaf3b.com/raffle.html
Mar 10, 2009, 01:10 PM
My buddy has a source for parachutes that don't use multiple strings from the chute to the ring. Imagine a parachute as two bowls, one facing up, one facing down. The bowl facing down is the traditional parachute and the bottom half of the chute is made of nylon mesh. This prevents the nose of the plane from possibly tucking into the chute lines and wrapping around the nose of the plane. I probably haven't explained this well, but I'll try to find a picture for you.

Clay

Quick Reply