Mar 09, 2009, 02:42 PM
Thank you for the review, an odd comment here and there in your review does suggest some bias.

There are those who think anything bought outside of the USA is bound to be an inferior product, they are entitled to their views.... correct or not.

Unfortunately, as here in the U.K,manufacturing is only a fraction of what it used to be and that was mainly driven by the thought of cheap labour and bigger profits to be gained by transferring to other countries. Buying American or buying British is increasingly difficult as we don't make much ! Bear in mind that it was... American and British companies that took production overseas, the Chinese and Indians didn't steal it away !

The chargers.... admittedly the "English" in the manual could be better. How's your Chinese ? How much "instruction" or information is required for these chargers ? Chargers don't come much simpler to use.

I have 4 of them, all bought from Hobby City. All 4 work well on my 3S lipo packs. I have numerous packs all in the range of 1600 mAh to 2200mAh. I plug a lipo into each charger and check them from time to time. They do a very good job on charging. The cell voltage on each battery pack tops out at 4.18 volts and that is the same on all 4 chargers. The accuracy of charge is consistent on all of them.

By this means I can safely, and cheaply, charge 4 lipos while using my far more expensive charger to do another pack. Charging time for the Turnigy chargers is quite acceptable, I am retired so who's in a hurry. A 2200mAh pack charges fast enough for me. I can put it on charge in the morning and go fly after lunch.

The more expensive charger, with it's display can be used for obtaining more information about a battery - if that is required, most of the time it isn't.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2009, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet
Thank you for the review, an odd comment here and there in your review does suggest some bias.
Could you tell me which comments these are if there are any not already covered by the rest of your post?

Quote:
There are those who think anything bought outside of the USA is bound to be an inferior product, they are entitled to their views.... correct or not.

Unfortunately, as here in the U.K,manufacturing is only a fraction of what it used to be and that was mainly driven by the thought of cheap labour and bigger profits to be gained by transferring to other countries. Buying American or buying British is increasingly difficult as we don't make much ! Bear in mind that it was... American and British companies that took production overseas, the Chinese and Indians didn't steal it away !
I agree that the country of manufacture does not determine the quality of the product, which is why you will not see any mention of the country of manufacture anywhere in the review. You will however, see evidence showing low quality manufacturing was used. The only mention of the USA is in reference to economics, which in this economy is important to a lot of people. I realize not everyone cares about the U.S. economy and where the money goes, but to some (including myself) this is significant enough to warrant a negative point. If mentioning where your money goes (or rather does not go) as a negative point is seen as a bias then there is probably nothing I can do to present the facts and make you happy.

Quote:
I am retired so who's in a hurry. A 2200mAh pack charges fast enough for me. I can put it on charge in the morning and go fly after lunch.
Does this mean you monitor the battery for the 5 hours it takes to charge or are you another one of those people who thinks that it is safe to charge a LiPo pack unmonitored? If the later is the case then please do not advocate doing so as I mentioned in post #8.
Mar 10, 2009, 03:22 PM
The inference that you should spend your dollars only in the USA would give the impression, rightly or wrongly, that USA O.K anything else inferior. You may not have meant to convey that impression but, unfortunately, that is the way it will be construed by some. Alternatively you are advocating "protectionism" , that is the last thing we need. Everyone buys only from their own country, trade grinds to a halt, world economies turn even further downwards and more and more employees around the world lose their jobs, goods become scarcer and ever more costly. American jobs and your economy will not improve by protectionist measures.

However, back to lipos.... I do NOT monitor the charge process for 5 hours... one reason being that it has never,ever taken that long. I would expect 2 1/2hours for a 2200 mAh pack, maybe 3 hours tops. Packs charged in a safe location and on a non-flammable surface only need inspecting from time to time. If you monitor your packs ALL the time they are charging then... either you are paranoid or you are not charging them in a safe place. No point being paranoid about these batteries, treat them correctly and they won't "bite" you. If you think they are so dangerous then don't get on an aircraft as these things are being transported all over the world by air.

Like everything else... apply commonsense, take reasonable precautions and then... enjoy life....

You can quote your findings, I find that my 1600 mAh LoonMax lipos charge in 1 1/2 to two hours. They charge safely and end up with a voltage that should ensure good pack life. I only discharge packs to a maximum of 80% capacity used.
Mar 12, 2009, 11:07 AM
hey 6.00 charger will do till BIG NAME charger gits cheaper . when you start out on a budget and cant aford the BIG NAME chargers I will buy 2 or 3 cheap ones to get by
Mar 22, 2009, 07:28 AM
Pirouetting flip master
Quote:
The inference that you should spend your dollars only in the USA would give the impression, rightly or wrongly, that USA O.K anything else inferior. You may not have meant to convey that impression but, unfortunately, that is the way it will be construed by some. Alternatively you are advocating "protectionism" , that is the last thing we need. Everyone buys only from their own country, trade grinds to a halt, world economies turn even further downwards and more and more employees around the world lose their jobs, goods become scarcer and ever more costly. American jobs and your economy will not improve by protectionist measures.

However, back to lipos.... I do NOT monitor the charge process for 5 hours... one reason being that it has never,ever taken that long. I would expect 2 1/2hours for a 2200 mAh pack, maybe 3 hours tops. Packs charged in a safe location and on a non-flammable surface only need inspecting from time to time. If you monitor your packs ALL the time they are charging then... either you are paranoid or you are not charging them in a safe place. No point being paranoid about these batteries, treat them correctly and they won't "bite" you. If you think they are so dangerous then don't get on an aircraft as these things are being transported all over the world by air.

Like everything else... apply commonsense, take reasonable precautions and then... enjoy life....

You can quote your findings, I find that my 1600 mAh LoonMax lipos charge in 1 1/2 to two hours. They charge safely and end up with a voltage that should ensure good pack life. I only discharge packs to a maximum of 80% capacity used.
well said!
Apr 04, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hello guys,
first of all sorry for my english.
Recently i've purchased a pack of items from hobbycity, one of them is the turnigy 5011, other items are two li-po bateries, one of 11v 1.100 mA and the other one is a Rihno 11v 1.550 mA.

My power source is a 12v DC 2A.

My first charge test was with the 1.100 mA batery, it tooked arround 4 hours to change to green leds, but green leds only for B and C cells, the A cell remainded red. I decided to keep waiting, but i've noticed after several hours of waiting, that the A cell was all the time red.
Then i decided to mesure voltages and currents with my digital tester and i see that the current for B cell is arround 45 mA/h, the same for C, but for A is only arround 10mA/h. I think thats why A cell is always on red led status, and it takes hours to raise a miserable milivolt.
The same current isue when i've tested with the Rihno 1550 mA.
Is there some thing can i do?

Thax a lot for your comments.
Last edited by Blaska; Apr 04, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
Apr 04, 2009, 05:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaska
Is there some thing can i do?
Put garbage into a garbage can.
Apr 04, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hm, I think you guys meant "prejudice," not "bias:" the former means an irrational dislike (or rational), and the latter means an irrational "like."

As for inferences, I also think one or more piled an inference on an inference to reach a conclusion not warranted by the author's posting.

Gee, who'd a thunk a cheap charger would evoke such strong emotions?
Apr 05, 2009, 12:01 AM
Tonight i've been thinking...
could it be posible to use 3 cell conector to recharge B and C and use 2 cell conector for the A cell? technicaly posible? i think so. what do you think?
I know is garbage but, I would like to experiment with it.
Apr 05, 2009, 12:53 AM
Thread OP
I believe that what you are asking is possible, but I cannot condone the use of a charger that is known to be defective and I recommend that you do not use the charger any more. Anyone suggesting that using a defective charger is fine does not have your best interests in mind.
Apr 05, 2009, 09:49 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Actually there's negative bias too in addition to prejudice. I think both are at work here. I may be guilty of positive bias having been lucky enough to not encounter a defective unit out of dozens tested.

quote:
"bias , prejudice , preconception or partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Manfred
Hm, I think you guys meant "prejudice," not "bias:" the former means an irrational dislike (or rational), and the latter means an irrational "like."

As for inferences, I also think one or more piled an inference on an inference to reach a conclusion not warranted by the author's posting.

Gee, who'd a thunk a cheap charger would evoke such strong emotions?
Apr 05, 2009, 09:56 AM
Hm, etymologic bias at work?

So, what happened to the pyramid of inferences?
Apr 05, 2009, 10:04 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Manfred
Hm, etymologic bias at work?
So, what happened to the pyramid of inferences?
Etymologic bias? Naaah... I couldn't care less about bugs.
Apr 05, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hm, either that's a quasi-pun (psuedo?), or....

Quick, Henry, the Flit!

Now, what about that Turnigy charger?
Last edited by Mighty Manfred; Apr 05, 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply