Mar 11, 2019, 02:47 PM
Chris Reibert
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_rc
Is that the battery hanging down in the second pic?
Oh good eyes good eyes! I wanted to fly the Hellcat so bad and hadn’t built the battery magnetic hinge door yet. I had some tape temp holding the hatch but blew right off from a gust of wind. Found the hatch and still managed to fly the plane back and catch it! I’ve had to deal with much worse on big gasser maidens for guys in our club..

Hellcat Maiden Flight - Battery Hanging Out... (0 min 52 sec)
Last edited by crmodels; Mar 11, 2019 at 03:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2019, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Okay, I'm ready to release the plans for the F4U.

Got the build guide nearly ready. It should answer many questions. Though my brain feels a bit fried and am quitting for the evening.

This is the most challenging of the SEMFF WWII Combat Planes to build. Mostly in the wing and aileron connections.

Enjoy!

Ken
Hi Ken,

did you end up making the Corsair build guide?
Mar 12, 2019, 03:50 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Loco85
Hi Ken,

did you end up making the Corsair build guide?
I did not. However the only real difference is in the unique wing and I thought I covered that in the post.

I initially designed it with a single servo for the ailerons, but it was a bit wonky. Dual 5g servos in the wing panel would be better suited.

It did fly well though. Unfortunately I tried a new painting method on it and the P-40 and ruined both with overweight paint.

Hoping to build another in the future,
Ken
Mar 12, 2019, 06:05 PM
ok np, I saw your original post on the corsair so I should he fine.

also, what type of paint do you usually use that doesn't compromise the weight?

I was planning on arcylic hobby paint. works well with foamboard. but not sure if two coats will add alot of weight.
Mar 12, 2019, 06:49 PM
Following a primer/filler wash that includes some of the final color with only one coat of paint seems to be doing the trick. But I haven't a clue as to whether it would add too much weight to your combat planes. The plane I'm working on (ThunderBear) is intended to be more of a gentle flyer with a fairly high degree of crash worthiness.
Edit: If it flies!
Last edited by PlumbBob; Mar 12, 2019 at 07:37 PM.
Mar 12, 2019, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace12GA
Up front, thanks for this great thread, and all these neat designs. I started building a P-51D of my own design a few weeks ago, and my results were poor. My design is scale, profile, and coroplast. Its flies, but not well. I had perused this thread numerous times, and realized my plane was using the same power system you guys are using. I love these 1700kv bw motors. Anyway, I started looking at your P-51D design, really liking your build method, and then I noticed you added a P-39 in August.

I'm just over half way through cutting out all the parts, and its coming together well. I have made some changes. Being Canadian, FFF is not really an option, so I am using Readiboard, sans paper. Given that readiboard is nominally 4mm thick, and FFF is nominally 5mm thick, I have chosen to double the center section of the fuse, giving me a fuse that is ~24mm thick vs a fuse that is ~25mm thick with FFF. Of course, if I used the plans 5 sections, the fuse would be ~20mm thick, which I don't think would fit my gear. I am laminating the fuse with gorilla glue.

I haven't seen any one else building one of these, has one actually been built yet? Should there be dihedral on the wing? If so, how much? The real plane appears to have 4~5 degrees of dihedral. I am unclear on some of the servo installation steps. Mainly how to attach the servo arms once the fuse has been fully laminated?

Thanks for the neat designs, I might be trying to push all my flying buddies in this direction, depends on how mine turns out; I'm the guinea pig here. We're all interested in combat though.
Hey Ace, fellow Canadian here, Durham County, was wondering if you ever finished the P39 Airacobra? any pics? I'm working on mine and was wondering how yours flew and if you made any modifications?
Mar 12, 2019, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbBob
Following a primer/filler wash that includes some of the final color with only one coat of paint seems to be doing the trick. But I haven't a clue as to whether it would add too much weight to your combat planes. The plane I'm working on (ThunderBear) is intended to me more of a gentle flyer with a fairly high degree of crash worthiness.
Thanks PlumbBob

wonder if many ppl even know what a plum plumbbob is lol. love the name.

thanks, my first paint job, built a prototype for my sun 18"ws cub. two coats of paint. no primer. could of got away with primer then paint. no need to fill on that one but since I didnt have the sharpest knife I may need to fill some spots on the P39, but then again why bother too.

curious what others used for their paint jobs on the combat planes .
Mar 12, 2019, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Thanks PlumbBob

wonder if many ppl even know what a plum plumbbob is lol. love the name.

thanks, my first paint job, built a prototype for my sun 18"ws cub. two coats of paint. no primer. could of got away with primer then paint. no need to fill on that one but since I didnt have the sharpest knife I may need to fill some spots on the P39, but then again why bother too.

curious what others used for their paint jobs on the combat planes .
Don't know that anyone has used this particular combination of water, paint, and lightweight spackle, but I would guess someone has. Both coats, the primer/filler and the paint, went on fairly thinly but covered nicely. My concern now is whether I should put a gloss coat on it? Probably not.
Mar 12, 2019, 09:50 PM
Chris Reibert
Hellcat flies much better with the battery installed. Just need to add a little bit of nose weight.

Hellcat Foamie Maiden Flight (3 min 9 sec)
Mar 12, 2019, 11:17 PM
great flying ! @crmodels
nice build.
gotta tip the cap for the hand catch landing !
Mar 13, 2019, 08:11 PM
"it's electric !" Boogy woogy

Hey Ken.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmodels
Hellcat flies much better with the battery installed. Just need to add a little bit of nose weight.
A couple of us are finding that the Hellcat seems to be tail heavy when built as designed and then painted. But in each case the entire plane was painted not just aft of the marked CG.

Our two club members have had to add nose weight to get them more manageable.

Have you experienced similar results with the Hellcat?
Mar 15, 2019, 12:19 PM
As it sits now the ThunderBear is slightly nose heavy, but I don't think it'll be a problem adjusting it to where it should be. Dihedral is about 4*, and the motor has a slight down tilt (one washer). I'm not real happy about the stabilizers having some waves in the foam. It's not extreme, but I'm wondering if the damp towel trick might help, or if I should just remake them. ?? It's a slow go, but we're getting there!
Edit: I tried the damp towel trick. Laid the pieces down one at a time on a cutting board, covered with a damp smooth kitchen towel, and put a hot skillet (heated in 250* oven) on top for about 45 secs. There's still a small bit of waviness, but they're better than before, and acceptable. Nice that I didn't have to remake the pieces.
Last edited by PlumbBob; Mar 15, 2019 at 02:02 PM.
Mar 15, 2019, 04:27 PM
wait a min.

I'm using readi board foamboard and it has waves in it.

I just th8its just a defect and built anyway.

will i have problems.??? should I try the towel trick?
should I do it all over again?
Mar 15, 2019, 06:46 PM
Quote:
wait a min.

I'm using readi board foamboard and it has waves in it.

I just th8its just a defect and built anyway.

will i have problems.??? should I try the towel trick?
should I do it all over again?
Not every board has waves. I should have been more selective from the get-go.
Edit: Finished stabs, and used tape hinges for rudder and elevators. Used a somewhat unusual hinge arrangement made up of a double bevel on one edge with a 1/8 CF rod on the other, ( >o ). The rod is set into a groove sanded into the edge and held in place with HD packing tape.
Last edited by PlumbBob; Mar 15, 2019 at 09:41 PM.
Mar 17, 2019, 08:39 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr600f2
A couple of us are finding that the Hellcat seems to be tail heavy when built as designed and then painted. But in each case the entire plane was painted not just aft of the marked CG.

Our two club members have had to add nose weight to get them more manageable.

Have you experienced similar results with the Hellcat?
I see the full laminations left on your plane. The intent of the design is to feather sand the fuselage to get a smooth fuselage and reduce the mass aft of the CG. Many folks do not follow through on this feature (and it is not required), which does help. However, we have noticed on the shorter nosed models that flying with a 2208 motor adds mass with the benefit of additional watts.

Just a little extra weight on the tail with its moment translates into noticeable amount of mass on its short nose to counterbalance it.

Ken

Quick Reply