Jan 23, 2019, 09:55 AM
Two of my favorite planes. Good luck with your Thundercat. ☺
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2019, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsza
Two of my favorite planes. Good luck with your Thundercat. ☺
Thanks, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. BTW - It's ThunderBear.
Jan 23, 2019, 09:28 PM
ThunderBear, that sounds great too. And probably more fitting of how a scale hybrid would be. Looking at the specs of both planes, I'm not sure it would even be flyable. They both had the same powerplant, but the P-47 is almost 3,000 pounds heavier, and the wings of the F8F have about 56f^2 less area.
Jan 24, 2019, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsza
ThunderBear, that sounds great too. And probably more fitting of how a scale hybrid would be. Looking at the specs of both planes, I'm not sure it would even be flyable. They both had the same powerplant, but the P-47 is almost 3,000 pounds heavier, and the wings of the F8F have about 56f^2 less area.
The wings aren't exactly Bearcat wings. They're the same overall shape, but they're scaled to have the same span as the P-47. At 1 in. = 1 ft. that works out to be approximately 293 sq. ft. - slightly less than the original wing.
Jan 26, 2019, 11:30 AM
"it's electric !" Boogy woogy
Hey Ken,

Wondering if you've had any progress on getting that awesome Seafury converted to VLF plans?

Can't wait for that one !!
Feb 08, 2019, 08:34 PM
Chris Reibert

My Zero is done!

Zero is ready for its maiden
Feb 09, 2019, 11:49 AM
Jer. 29:11
@crmodels, that's a nice clean build.

If you're not entirely happy with how it flies, you might consider shaping the leading edge of the wing:

- Instructions
- Diagram
- More instructions
- Tool
Feb 09, 2019, 03:01 PM
Looks great. Hope you post a video.
Feb 10, 2019, 05:21 PM
Chris Reibert
These little things are a blast to fly... and cheap!

I put on 2 maiden flights at home and 6 more at the field today.

Zero Maiden Flight (2 min 28 sec)

Foamie Warbird Fun at the field (2 min 39 sec)
Feb 10, 2019, 06:57 PM
Rough Landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmodels
Zero is ready for its maiden
Is that made from MPF?

That is a sweet looking plane!
Feb 10, 2019, 07:50 PM
Very impressive. Nice!
Feb 10, 2019, 10:42 PM

My Reynolds Bombshell

These are a blast to build and fly. I love trying to find scale livery's to try to duplicate but there aren't many reno racer P47's out there. The Reynolds Bombshell fit the bill and did not require a lot of heavy paint. The checkerboard cowl was a PIA so please don't look too close.

I'm really happy with how it turned out and how it flies. Its going to be great for our club's pylon racing events this year !
Last edited by cbr600f2; Feb 10, 2019 at 11:18 PM.
Feb 10, 2019, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch

If you're not entirely happy with how it flies, you might consider shaping the leading edge of the wing:
Actually, Chris' Zero flies pretty well with absolutely no sanding of the LE. However, we may have convinced him at the field today to put a bit of a shape on his Zero's wing.

One of our club members CNC'd these ply blocks that I glued up in to 2 lengths and lined with 150 grit paper. Very easy to get a nice consistent LE without having to sneak up on it by eye with a sanding stick or block. Once I had these built I think it took about 2 or 3 mins per side to sand them to a perfect airfoil
Feb 11, 2019, 08:09 AM
No Hangar Queens!
You could easily have those 3D printed too. Very cool idea.
Feb 11, 2019, 09:41 AM
Jer. 29:11
@crmodels, what a lot of fun flying them together! Thanks for recording and posting the videos.

@cbr600f2, your P-47 looks great! A perfect balance between a simple and detailed finishing job. The sanding tools look good too -- hard to beat getting a good, consistent result with a minimum of effort!

Quick Reply