Woodpecker Perforation Tool. - RC Groups
Mar 05, 2009, 04:53 PM
Discussion

Woodpecker Perforation Tool.

This covering thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711624 suggests the use of a Top Flite MonoKote "Woodpecker" perforation tool when covering with film over balsa.

I would like to hear what the more experienced builders think of this tool. Is it really beneficial to the quality of the covering job - or just another toy?

Richard
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2009, 08:23 PM
I lived just fine without it, but when I covered, I was lifting and pulling with two hands as I advanced the iron with the third (if you catch my drift). I had no trouble with edge creeping or lifting. I have one now and use it on all sizeable expanses of balsa. I think that it helps. The thing is that I am a tool junky and the handle is red and it looks really wicked and so what else would you expect me to say? Seriously, if you segment several colors together, you really don't want any bubbling or edge lifting and I think that it helps there. For solid one sheet jobs, you can use technique easily to get around it. years ago we used dressmaker's wheels...they only give one row of pricks....so to speak.
Mar 06, 2009, 08:54 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Perferation tools have another use in modelling ive found,that any foam molded skin benefits by laying down perforations prior to gluing with any of the urethane type glues,it increases the penetration of the foam and beats the delaminating caused by parting agents/paints ect.
Mar 07, 2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. They are appreciated.
Oct 26, 2017, 07:15 PM
it is a ploy, dont waste your money the price for the woodpecker is ridiculous, if you feel you must use a perf tool, might i suggest instead a hookah foil puncher? the hookah foil punchers cna be got off fleabay for around $5 ( compare that to $15+ shipping and up for a "woodpecker"
Oct 27, 2017, 05:20 PM
I don't use a woodpecker and never will. Best way I've found to prevent bubbles is to ensure the balsa is dry before covering. Run a heat gun over the structure for several minutes to dry it out, then cover it.