New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2009, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by Willmsy
I am the BBQ Ninja
Build Log

F-9F Panther/Cougar build logs Mk.I (70mm)

Well here I go again, starting something new before I have the last one done! Actually I have had a little extra time at work lately and it makes me look busy.

I am starting with the Panther and then I will probably go to the Cougar. I am also looking to people for help on setting up the proper airfoils. (I have no clue on those)

Here are a couple of screen shots of what I have so far.
Last edited by Willmsy; Mar 09, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2009, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by eatond
EDF Jet Jam 2017, June 15-18th
Hi Will,
shucks, I was hoping you'd give the L-39 a try. Is this going to be for 70mm or 90mm?

Dan Eaton
Old Mar 04, 2009, 03:17 PM
jrb
Find More Posts by jrb
jrb
Cool Matt!

Have you heard Mundt's story?
Old Mar 04, 2009, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by Lear45
Looks good so far. Scale size inlet ducting then?
Jim
Old Mar 04, 2009, 03:29 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Dan, don't lose hope, this one is going to help me get to the L-39. And this is for the 70mm and I may scale it up to the 90mm.

jrb - I think I have heard his story.

Lear45, yes scale inlets.
Old Mar 05, 2009, 11:23 AM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Here is a little more progress, I put in the "Mock" wings in to get a feel for the size and angle that the wings are sitting at in my 3-view. At the moment I am a touch over 38" wingspan and I don't have the tip tanks on yet. I plan on tackling the tail today. I am going to stay away from flat basla stock that I have used in the past for control surfaces, Humidity plays havoc with them. On with the picture show.

Matt
Old Mar 05, 2009, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
It is so refreshing to see a scratch build. In this day and age of overpriced, foamie junk ARF's, the ability to roll one's own is a fast disappearing talent.

The F9F has been a favorite. Attached is my 48" WS F9F, 75mm Ky fan, HET2W, 3Sx4400 LiPo, 200+ flights

I will follow this thread. Good luck with your build.
Old Mar 05, 2009, 04:30 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Looks like this is as far as I am going to get today. I made some really good progress and now I need to think about what types of wood for this baby!
Old Mar 05, 2009, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
If it were mine - 1/8th formers, 1/16th ribs, 1/32nd sheeting, 1/8 x 3/8 spruce longerons, 3/16th stringers

all balsa
Old Mar 05, 2009, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
deltas are cool
i started a depron F-9 a couple of years ago ..70mm with retracts ...aft fuse comes off to service fna ...about 75% done .....do a serch for depron F-9 panther.lots of pics in the thread.
Old Mar 06, 2009, 02:47 AM
Find More Posts by gghisleri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsy
Well here I go again, starting something new before I have the last one done! Actually I have had a little extra time at work lately and it makes me look busy.

I am starting with the Panther and then I will probably go to the Cougar. I am also looking to people for help on setting up the proper airfoils. (I have no clue on those)

Here are a couple of screen shots of what I have so far.

I have a little Panther with a 65 Vasafan.
Flies very well with S6061.
By the way this is a wing section I use on aerobatic slope sailplane.
Old Mar 06, 2009, 03:45 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Got a bit of the nit picky stuff done today, still have alot of nit picky stuff yet to do. I am getting closer to wanting to see it laser cut. As if I didn't have enough with the other planes I NEED to get done soon. On with the picture show.

Matt
Old Mar 06, 2009, 04:10 PM
hul
Find More Posts by hul
hul
looking good.
I think you could move the fan back a bit, it looks nose heavy. That would give you more room for the ducts. Try to avoid the sharp corner on the outside of the ducts just before the fan, more S-shaped would help. Attached is a picture of the ducts in my Hunter: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950537
Don't think airfoil really makes that much difference. I use the S3021 on all my small stuff, incl. the Hunter above.

Hans
Old Mar 09, 2009, 04:58 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Well I got a good amount of stuff done with the tail and adding an extra body former... I still have to work on the openings for routing the wires and whatnot, but I think I am getting really close to getting a final set of files ready. I moved the Fan back and worked on the tail, I still have a little bit to do there.

Matt
Old Mar 09, 2009, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by BOB MOORE

F9F Panther/Cougar build logMk1(70mm)

I worked on the Panther and Cougar when I was with the Blue Angels in 1952
1954. I also worked on the F7U1 in 1952. I have a 90mm Panther now. Will you have plans on these planes