Mar 20, 2003, 04:41 AM
Thread OP

best micro heli to learn on

I'm an experienced RC pilot who flies 3D aerobatics (including sustained hovering) with a fixed wing indoor and otdoor models. The 'why don't you get a helicopter jokes' are getting to me and I want to buy my first micro heli.

My reflexes are fast and I already have the required charger, pico servos , PG-03 gyro and a spare Astro 010 brushless motor and JR 378 transmitter from my fixed wing activites.

Question) What micro heli would you recommend for someone like myself to learn on?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2003, 05:44 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
Best learners helicopter is not a micro (more of a "mini") - the LMH Corona . You can bash it to pieces and it still goes on flying (some call it the "Zagi" of helicopters).

If you are determined to fly indoors and must have a "micro" then I think received wisdom is that the Piccolo Fun is the best place to start. There are cheaper offerings but reports seem to suggest that they me be lacking in the quality stakes.

Cliff
Mar 20, 2003, 07:06 AM
I've had quite a few years of very intermittent RC fixed wing flying as well as GA flying, heli's always seemed too elusive. My RC skills are certainly only average. After reading the forums for a couple of months I was almost convinced to just go out and buy a Corona as my first heli. As I wanted to go straight to a brushless setup I was saving up the pennies when I came across the Feda Dragonfly which I ended up buying from Robert in Melbourne, against all the advice of those in the know. I did buy Realflight G2 first and practiced on that each day until I felt comfortable with the control and handling of the helis. Then I fired up the Feda and flew it, not skipped around the floor etc but full on hover in the confines of the loungeroom in and out of ground effect on the first flight.

The short version of all this... The Feda is very stable and I've had great success with it as my beginners machine. I also have the PG03 gyro. I'm still getting a Corona as I want a bigger machine too but I really like this micro.

Ingmar
Mar 20, 2003, 08:00 AM
Feda is the way. I do fly plane and this is my first heli. No sim tho and I managed to hover after about 6-7 flights. Cheers

Mike
Sep 19, 2007, 01:58 AM
Is a mini heli palm size or is micro?????

Quick Reply