Mar 20, 2003, 02:25 AM
Thread OP

Gental Lady conversion

I have an old Gentle Lady 2 meter that I have to rebuild parts of the fuselage. I want to convert it to electric. I was told that I would need a motor with gear drive.
Has anybody done this conversion? What size motor and gear drive and prop would be the best and someplace to order it off the web would be very helpful also.

thanks
Last edited by larryw; Mar 20, 2003 at 02:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2003, 09:44 AM
I'm running Kyosho AP36-L, Aeronaut 8x4.5, 8x1700CP
This setup gives desent climb, but it's to heavy...
Keep in mind that GL is a floater, so it's important to keep it light if you want to keep the low sink.

I suggest a geared speed 480 and 7xCP1300 or HR-AUP1700 cells to keep the weight down.

Happy flying!
/Stefan
Mar 20, 2003, 12:59 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
If you've got the cash, brushless is better. You can get a Mega 16/15/X brushless motor and controller for around $150. Gear it up to swing a 12 or 13 inch prop with an amp draw in the mid to low teens. Use an 8 pack of the new KAN 950's. They only weigh 6.5 oz for 8 cells. That should keep the wing loading nice and low. Not sure what gear ratio you'd need. Do you have Motocalc? If not, download it for a free trial and it will help you figure out what gear ratio you need to swing a big prop and get the amp draw in the range you want.

To me, swinging the biggest prop possible is the best bet on sailplanes. That way you get a lot of thrust and climb and a low pitch speed which matches well with the flight characteristics of a sailplane airframe. An example of the opposite is a guy at our local get together who flies a 100" sailplane with a direct drive motor and small prop. That motor and prop are screaming along and the plane is just barely staying in the air. It takes him several minutes to get any altitude. On the other hand, my little 1 meter ship geared on 6 cells swinging a 10 inch prop goes almost straight up and gets to altitude in seconds.

Quick Reply