Mar 01, 2009, 04:49 PM
Volare!
Thread OP
Careful!

BEWARE! Rogue pilot with no radio-etiquette roaming Marin County / Bay Area

There is some kid roaming the local hills and he doesn't honor the basic principles of R/C flying.

Just yesterday, he switches on his radio and starts flying and, in the process, takes down my brand-new, just maidened, $1,500 plane.

I didn't get his name but he is a young man, clean-cut, 25ish with short dark hair and was flying a simple woody ship like a Gentle Lady. Channel 50. Drives a white sedan (Toyota?). Says he's from Mill Valley, that he flys "all the time" and is a member of AMA. Yah, right!

When I gave him a piece of my mind, he offered a feeble "I'm sorry", obviously ignorant of his responsibilty to check with local pilots before switching on his radio. He added a bogus claim of "how was I supposed to know" when he didn't see the rest of us on the other hill... where EVERYONE always flies.

He is claiming experience but he is clearly full of you know what.

Next time you see a kid in the area that fits the above description, keep your planes grounded and/or talk some sense into him. AMA member or not, this kid needs some serious education!

Until guys like this get it, we're all at risk!

Pilots like him force us to either spend $$$ to convert our ships/gear to the newer 2.4GHz systems or to dedicate unnecessary time to repairs and replacements!

If you're reading this post young man, your apology will be accepted when you have the courage to show your face to the rest of the regulars (especially myself, Joe S. or Bruce A.), admit your fault and offer to take responsibility for the repairs/replacements to my ship.

For everyone else, stay vigilant!

Happy - and safe - Flying,

-Matt
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2009, 04:56 PM
Texas Ranger
That sucks Matt

Where were you flying and where was he flying?
Mar 01, 2009, 05:20 PM
Volare!
Thread OP
Joe, Bruce and I were on East Side and he was the West Side. In our combined 30+ years of flying the local hills, none of us have ever even seen anybody on West Side flying into an easterly wind.

The kid even admitted to knowing that everyone flys off East Side when the wind is out of the east.

The nerve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Walker
That sucks Matt

Where were you flying and where was he flying?
Mar 01, 2009, 05:39 PM
Texas Ranger
Sounds like a beginner not wanting to admit his mistake, or even that he was a beginner. I'm not sure I'd be able to restrain myself if someone shot down one of my 3m ships.

Thanks for the heads up - I haven't run into you out there yet but have been flying 4 corners and Tick a bunch.

N
Mar 01, 2009, 05:58 PM
Surf's up!!
Matt this bites big time!! I hope he comes clean.

I once turned on, on a fellow sloper, fortunately I turned off in time for him to save his plane and that he had good flying skills to overcome what I had done. I felt horrible and it only took that once, have never done it since. I apologized profusely. His plane didn't compare to a $1500 dollar moldie, but I am sure if it went in he would have felt the same anger, I mean it was his plane. We did laugh later about it.

Like I said I hope he comes clean and owns up to his mistake. Things can be made right if he takes the responsibility.

I hope your future flights are less eventful.

Chip
Mar 01, 2009, 06:02 PM
The destruktion of your ship is horrible ,but maybe and this is going to piss you off which I dont mean to.do. but this young man probably should be taken under your leadership and guidance, he possibly was as shocked as you to find out that his ignorance wrecked a high dollar plane .then have a senior pilot come up and jam him? .be careful that you dont create a truly rogue destroyer of planes .having him stand in front of a crew and know that all of you are looking down at him is well I dont see it ending happily. put the kid to work in one of your shops cleaning fixing and being taught the ins and outs of our fine craft .Once again I feel your pain its not right ,but is the path you choose for this young man benificial to all involved ?
Mar 01, 2009, 06:29 PM
Suspended Account
And ordinarily, the pilot in the wrong should by rights offer you some money to help you out with repairs/replacement and the situation he caused, i bet that didn't occur to him either. These folks need to taken to hand and diciplined and educated.
Mar 01, 2009, 06:37 PM
Fly Safe and Check 6
This is horrible and everyone's nightmare. Is there any hard fast rule for the guilty when a plane is shot down? I would think replacement of the airframe plus build time would be warranted in your situation. Did you ask him to replace or leave it open?

PDX
Mar 02, 2009, 04:51 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
BOO!
Lets hope the Kid learns from this...
George
Mar 02, 2009, 05:11 AM
isoaritfirst
I guess that it would be very difficult for a young guy to find $1500 to cover the costs.

But if he admitted liability, have you checked the situation regarding insurance cover.

Dependant on circumstances this may be covered in the UK, under our main flying bodies insurance.
Mar 02, 2009, 05:45 AM
I brought down a brand new pike once, it was a beauty of a plane! lucky i followed the hills rules and took the channel peg, no one asked me what channel i was flying, he turned up, turned on, he was flying i switched on and neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerh

*THUD*

Shame i never said sorry, nor did i offer him any money... he was very experienced and his answer was "i assumed the peg got lost"

The beginers dont just make mistakes

I dont expect you will see this guy again on your hills, i expect he has done a runner!

i hope you can rebuild/repair your bird!
Mar 02, 2009, 05:58 AM
C'mon more Energy
Darn Matt. I feel for you. Always a nightmare of mine.
I shot someone down about 7 years ago. It was an old built up wing that was easy repaired but I was so crushed about what I had done. I cut him 2 new wings and gave him a whole lot of supplies, servos and battery packs to try to make it right in my head.
What model of yours was shot down and how bad is it?
Mar 02, 2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up Matt, I'm not on #50 but I appreciate the warning. Beginner r/c pilots are really scary...(I should know). Not knowing is one thing, not caring is another. It seems from what you posted that it's a bit of both in this case.
Mar 02, 2009, 10:02 AM
auto-tune remix
Bummer Matt. That's really bad luck.

I agree about the education angle- why he was on the west while you guys were up on the eastside... sounds like total beginner-city.

You could always "buy him off" your frequency. Back in the old days we would offer to buy someone new crystals just to avoid the hassle of having someone on your channel.
Mar 02, 2009, 10:44 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
I would demand some kind of compensation; why is this any different than if someone accidentally damaged your parked car in a parking lot? Sure, accidents happen but the offender is still responsible regardless of whether or not it was intentional. At the very least, you should have gotten his AMA number and filed a claim against his policy. I don't know if AMA would honor it but at least the event would have been recorded.

What burns me is this guy and many others won't man up and take responsibility for their actions. The offender should be the one that should be offering to work out some kind of compensation; the victim shouldn't have to ask for it. Is it because it's "just a toy plane" that they don't see the need to be responsible for their actions? $1500 is $1500 regardless of whether it was a toy plane or your car door. It's a matter of principle; right and wrong.

Doubletap

Quick Reply