This thread is privately moderated by willhaney, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 28, 2009, 03:18 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Maple Syrup

Is real maple syrup worth the extra cost. I've always been served the imitation stuff, made mostly corn syrup. I like it just fine. I don't think I've ever had the real stuff and never thought to buy until recently.
Feb 28, 2009, 05:02 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Well I just got back from Walmart where I pulled the trigger on my first bottle of 100% Grade A Dark Amber Maple syrup. Now for batch of made-from-scratch pancakes.
Feb 28, 2009, 05:09 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Given that the real stuff is $12 for 250ml here vs $1.80 for the same volume of imitation, I'm gonna say no it's not worth the extra cost.:P
Feb 28, 2009, 05:11 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
That's was my guess too...another victim of marketting.
Feb 28, 2009, 05:21 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
We used to make our own maple syrup when I was a kid. Best stuff ever. Nothing in the store comes close. Once you try it, it's hard to use regular syrup again.

Frank
Feb 28, 2009, 05:28 PM
Not many here use maple syrup anyway, mostly golden syrup. Of course, pancakes and waffles are considered a dessert, not breakfast.
Mar 02, 2009, 06:44 PM
kit
kit
Get your hands on some of this Boysenberry syrup and you will never want to use maple syrup again.

http://maplegrove.stores.yahoo.net/mapgrovallna.html
Mar 02, 2009, 07:25 PM
Der Flieger kommt schnell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
Given that the real stuff is $12 for 250ml here vs $1.80 for the same volume of imitation, I'm gonna say no it's not worth the extra cost.:P
I tend to disagree with this.
In my home we have both.
I prefer the taste of pure maple syrup and I notice that you need less per volume to have the same flavor.
Also the imitation has HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP which many believe is causing the current diabetes and obesity problem here in the US.
Unfortuneatly my daughter is alergic to maple syrup so she uses the imitation syrup.
Maybe we'll try the boysenberry.....
Mar 02, 2009, 10:43 PM
Suspended Account
Maple syrup is the best version of sugar I've ever had. Savor the stuff you bought Wilhaney.. It is the real deal. After you use up that Costco bottle.. you will never go back to any of that other fake crap.. Guaranteed!!

Welcome to flap jack heaven.
Mar 03, 2009, 04:34 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I had no time for flap jacks this weekend. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out on the next.

On the one hand, I hope it's as good as I've been told, on the other I hope it's not...don't need another expensive habit.

Iíll also check around to see if that Boysenberry syrup is available locally, sounds delish.

Thanks for the advice and tips.
Mar 03, 2009, 06:47 AM
What ever you do don't try sugar free syrup! I can't get used to it no matter how many times I try it. I will use it cut 50/50 with regular syrup. I'll have to check out the real maple stuff and see how the carb/fat go. Trying to lose a little weight.

However do try sugar free honey. You'll never look back.
Mar 03, 2009, 04:55 PM
Yummy, fake bug vomit, nom nom nom. Hehe.
Mar 03, 2009, 08:03 PM
I had Mcd's Fake bug vomit today. I bought 2fers for our little group at work.
Mar 04, 2009, 07:23 AM
There's other types of syrup other than pure maple? BLASPHEMY!!!
Mar 04, 2009, 07:21 PM
kit
kit
Was doing a search for other sources of Boysenberry syrup and found a number of them. I also got so hungry for the taste that I had to go and pour out a teaspoonful and drink it. LOL

Also found this......off to the store for pie crust and another bottle of Boysenberry. Oh, btw, the Strawberry and Blueberry syrups are very good too, but not as good as Boysenberry.

http://www.sunshinerecipes.com/boyse...syruppie.shtml

Quick Reply