**Foamie Rascal 27, 36, & 40 with plans and Video** - RC Groups
Feb 26, 2009, 06:51 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Yippee!

**Foamie Rascal 27, 36, & 40 with plans and Video**

Well I wanted to share this with my friends here. One of them (The Channelmast) asked me I had plans for a Rascal. I did have a copy of the Top Flite Rascal R/C that I used to build an electric version for myself. I traced and redeveloped the plans on mylar and had those scanned to electronic files. So, after sending that to him it put the bug in me to revisit this model.

I said revisit because the one that I built had a short life, but accomplished many things.
  • I began a journey into brushless motors with this model. All I can say is "Wow!", never going back to speed 400's no more. lighter more powerful and efficient (C20 2500Kv)
  • Learned about Lipo batteries. Dumped the Nimh and Nicads (not literally).
  • Models that can rudder roll violently should not be.
Yup, the first one had a little too much dihedral and was very sensitive to yaw induce rolling. Well anyone who has seen me fly knows I like to see what it can do, I just did it too much and folded the wings. This destroyed it when it impacted the pavement. Was able to salvage all the hardware but had to replace the motor shaft. Thats all history though.

Attached is a pic of the illfated Rascal to start with, and the new one from foam.

The motor is a C10 2100Kv with a Turnigy Plush 6A ESC. Rx is a Spektrum AR6300, and servos are Blue Arrow 2.5g's.

Wingspan is 27" with 1" dihedral per tip. The airframe is made from extra large foam trays (about 3mm). This bears mentioning only because of the skin on both sides. These trays come from hospitals and are shipping material for sterile instruments.

Anyway lets talk about it.

Ken

Rascal 27 Flight (2 min 18 sec)

Edit: 18-FEB-2010 - Added plans for the 40" version on this post https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=108

Link to 36" Fold up build now with plans is here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=115
Last edited by dz1sfb; Feb 20, 2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added Process for the 36" version
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2009, 09:02 PM
Caster Of Pods
Now that's one sweet looking plane, Ken! I've always liked the lines of the Rascal, but just never got around to building one.

Will you be making one of your killer sets of plans on this?? If so, I will certainly build one!
Feb 26, 2009, 09:50 PM
For us He died, in me He lives

dictionary listing....

open up dictionary, look up "artist", caption reads..."see Ken"

I can't keep buying motors Ken, stop it!!! lol jk

I'll be waiting for the pdf's.

Jimmy
Feb 26, 2009, 10:02 PM
Ken's CAD Models

The wing needs a few changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-man
Now that's one sweet looking plane, Ken! I've always liked the lines of the Rascal, but just never got around to building one.

Will you be making one of your killer sets of plans on this?? If so, I will certainly build one!
Hi Crash,

I will be releasing a set of plans after I have all the bugs out.

Currently I have concern for the wing. With the 3mm foam and long eliptical profile and not very deep of an airfoil, I am sure it will not handle flight loads. So, I have already rolled a fresh wing from FFF. Ooh! I just had an idea. I really did not want FFF because it is blue and all else except monoblock is white. Dollar Tree foamboard to the rescue. I can test it with the FFF first though.

Thanks for your interest,

Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Feb 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
Very nice job. I love the old time style of the Rascal.
Feb 26, 2009, 11:49 PM
Caster Of Pods
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Hi Crash,

I will be releasing a set of plans after I have all the bugs out.

Currently I have concern for the wing. With the 3mm foam and long eliptical profile and not very deep of an airfoil, I am sure it will not handle flight loads. So, I have already rolled a fresh wing from FFF. Ooh! I just had an idea. I really did not want FFF because it is blue and all else except monoblock is white. Dollar Tree foamboard to the rescue. I can test it with the FFF first though.

Thanks for your interest,

Ken
Some of that foamboard like you're talking about is closer to 4.5mm, isn't it? They may very well be just the ticket!

Also, though it will cost a little bit (about $10 a package), you might consider some Midwest Cellfoam 88 in the 5mm size.

I can see another design to work up for my PhlatPrinter!
Feb 27, 2009, 02:17 AM
skumgummi dave
dz1sfb:

Beautiful job on the Rascal look alike. I enjoyed the original in balsa as a free flight rubber power as a kid. At 61 it still looks great to me.

Dave-KA7WOF
Feb 27, 2009, 07:04 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash-man
Some of that foamboard like you're talking about is closer to 4.5mm, isn't it? They may very well be just the ticket!

Also, though it will cost a little bit (about $10 a package), you might consider some Midwest Cellfoam 88 in the 5mm size.

I can see another design to work up for my PhlatPrinter!
Well when it is released I will publish a .dxf file for your Phlatprinting pleasure.

Ken
Feb 27, 2009, 09:25 AM
don`t forget us pdf guy`s im get ready to build your plans you sent ill post pic later
Feb 27, 2009, 01:00 PM
Retired CAD guy
I found this old time probably Original Rascal out on the web.

It was probably one of those Stamped out balsa sheet jobs from the 1950's.
Feb 27, 2009, 01:09 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay

Yeh, I got that one also. It is a reproduction of the Top Flites Jig Time Series. It was a rubber powered 18" ws I think.

Ken
Feb 27, 2009, 02:11 PM
Crash & Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay

That sure looks familiar. Definitely a before my time (only by 10yrs or so) but I could swear that I had a rubber band powered plane that looked like that.

Bob
Feb 27, 2009, 05:37 PM
Retired CAD guy
I used that plus pix of the big ARF 110" version and scaled it up to 88 and 110"

After seeing a Big indoor version of the Space Walker using a very small motor
I built a Built up wing version . It's lots heavier and need a bunch of watts.

So I was thinking of returning to the Under cambered wing with the Rascal
and going very light every where else too - for those light/nowind days or evenings

Maybe I'd change to the foil used on my other oldtimers like the Buccaneer !
Something a bit deeper where I can hide a spar
Last edited by birdofplay; Feb 27, 2009 at 05:44 PM.
Feb 27, 2009, 05:39 PM
still researching...
Just wondering if plans are in the near future for this great looking plane. This is exactly what I'm looking for after some failed attempts with park jets. Just something nice and docile to enjoy on a lunch break.
Feb 27, 2009, 05:46 PM
Retired CAD guy
noneed:

Build the F22 by tomhe or the F15 by eliworm !

Just Use the Pic I showed above and scale to suite !