May 26, 2009, 12:05 PM
Thread OP

Securing the Running Gear

With the cosmetics basically finished, the radio and power systems were hooked up and set up to run. I used a 5400 mah 2S Lipoly battery for power, and a Spektrum AR-600 Rx to run the system.

Once all that was done, it was into the bath tub for the leak test. The model sat a little bow low, but figured I'd runn it first and see if ballast would be needed rather then level it up. More on that in a minute.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2009, 12:24 PM
Thread OP

The Super Sport is Ready To Run

At this point, the model is all set and ready to go. So, it's off to the pond.

In the water the boat is real stable, and using the big battery with the Dumas 6V High Speed motor, the boat is way faster then scale speeds. Even nose heavy, the model handled well, but with the bow running low it took water into the cockpit over the side rails.

A bit of ballast was added to the stern, which went a long way in preventing the water from coming in, though at some speeds the water would still cling to the sides and flow over. It's nothing BAD bad, just a bit of a nusence.

However, in spite of a little water getting in, the boat runs GREAT! Dumas' best effort yet. As with all the Chris-Crafts it turns a little better left then right, but again, the difference is really a non-issue. And even at full speed, the model turns great -- no plowing or bow plunging, and the prop never cavitated.

Just as an observation; I think the later designs continue to get better and better because they're finishing lighter then some of the earlier offerings. Using the Lipo, the battery weight was half that of the 3300 NiMH packs I've been using, which in this case means considerably less stern ballast as well.

Meanwhile, the running shots were taken at 2/3 power or less since I was taking the pictures and driving the boat all at the same time. She ran straight and true, but the pond is small enough that it just wasn't possible to line it up, take the shot, and not run out of pond all at the same time.

In the end, I'd call this a GREAT BOAT! It looks good, runs good, though as with any boat build, it just takes time -- about 75 hours in all -- it was definitely worth the effort, and I would highly recommend the Super Sport to anyone who likes this style of pleasure boat.

PAT
May 26, 2009, 02:16 PM
Nice job, Pat!
May 26, 2009, 03:15 PM
Grumpa Tom
Beautiful! I like photo 85. All you need now is a driver figurine.
May 26, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Guys. Next time out I'll slip "Divorce Barbie" into the drivers seat for a lap or two around the pond.

PAT
May 26, 2009, 03:59 PM
Beautiful boat! This is real craftsmanship.

Kjetil
Last edited by kjetilo; May 26, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
May 26, 2009, 11:38 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Great job Pat, looks like the real size boat on the water.
May 27, 2009, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the kind comments. This project really did go well, and it seams like of the last 3 Dumas Chris-Craft's I've done -- 19' Racer, Hydro, and now this one -- all ran very well, each just a little better then the one before it, and all using the recomended running gear.

The main thing is that the boats are finishing lighter now than some of the earlier designs, and using the big Lipo battery at half the weight of the NiMH's it just can't help but run well. I'm also going to go back and run the other two with the Lipo and see how they do by comparison.

PAT
May 27, 2009, 08:33 AM
Last edited by Habanero; May 27, 2009 at 06:33 PM.
May 27, 2009, 10:00 AM
WooHoo!
Looks great, it's an awesome looking runabout. You make it look easy.
May 27, 2009, 10:04 AM
Thread OP
Woody, The Super Sport is probably the easiest to build of any of the Chris-Craft kits Dumas offers. The design is well engineered, and because there's a fair amount of plastic which really simplifies the assembly and finishing process. Another thing is that because of the hull shape, and relatively narrow planks, planking the hull was a breeze. The only tricky part is shaping the large fenders made from laminated balsa sticks.

PAT

Quick Reply