Mar 18, 2003, 12:06 AM
Piscine Promulgator

45mph in Santa Barbara today

Got some big winds up here today, measured at a sustained 45mph on the pocket anemometer, with (unmeasured) gusts suspected to be to at least 50mph. It was blowing so hard at some points that my Weasel was flying backwards in straight & level flight, my clothes were completely pressed against my body, and I was leaning about 10* into the wind...nice!

Unfortunately the direction was N/NW, so it wasn't blowing directly into our best slopes, but we made do with what we had and it was great! Tomorrow I'm thinking to load up my old Firebird (Ninja clone) with lead and fly it till the wings crease...shouldn't take too long LOL
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2003, 04:49 AM
Will work for planes
How heavy does your plane need to be to fly at 45 mph?
Mar 18, 2003, 07:35 AM
characters welcome!
I'm hoping for some of the same today. Couldn't get out there yesterday but the weatherman says WNW @25-35 today and that's exactly where my home slope in Mira Mesa points. Planes and radios charged, wife was warned that I wouldn't be home when she got in from the saltmine, here I come!

mw
Mar 18, 2003, 08:59 AM
No fuse too fat
It's howling from the North in Redondo right now. I'm sure Northface is on fire. It would be a great day to fly if I didn't have to work. GRRRRRR.

Russ.
Mar 18, 2003, 10:15 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Quote:
Originally posted by omega blood
How heavy does your plane need to be to fly at 45 mph?
My Weasel was flying at an AUW (with ballast) of 13.6oz. in 45mph. Another couple ounces probably would've helped penetration, but I didn't have any more weight along, and wasn't really sure where to put it if I did have it.

Winds are supposed to be pretty good today as well, although I think it's backed off a bit from yesterday. We had some seriously strong gusts last night, to the point that it was a bit tough to fall asleep from all the noise. NICE
Mar 18, 2003, 12:08 PM
Mark, right now there is nothing going on. Yesterday was a different story. I'm headed to Blossom in an hour.

I've found, in the past, that a pair of pliers taped to the bottom of the wing makes pretty good ballast in a pinch.
Mar 18, 2003, 01:23 PM
characters welcome!
Wind turned around an hour ago to the NW at 8 and climbing.
Hopin' for slopin' and keeping an eye out for whitecaps on the bay.

mw