Promodeler ProTote Review

Promodeler has created a very strong and practical flight box that has some unique features that meet the needs of today's modelers.

Completed unit took approximately 25 minutes to assemble. Notice the Cub Yellow color!

Introduction

Length: 13.5"
width: 9.5"
heigth: 15.5"
Weight: 3lb 5 oz.
Storage Area: 8.5"x11"x7"
Transmitter tray: 9.5"x8.5"
Color : Cub Yellow
Manufacturer:Genesis Hobby
Available From:www.promodeler.com
Price: $39.95

ProModeler is a relatively new company to the field of model airplane accessories, and in their ProTote field box, they have a winner. It's straightforward and simple – so simple the pictures on the box are all you need to assemble it. Consisting of nine parts, which are made of a very strong and light fiber-reinforced engineering-plastic (the same stuff used for engine mounts), it assembles in either of two configurations for left or right-hand modelers. The individual pieces are molded to snap into place and are then secure with some screws.

Assembly

Your first decision before assembly is on which end of the field box you want your fuel can when facing your transmitter. Due to the high degree of creativity on your author’s part, I assembled mine exactly like the right-hand configuration depicted on the colorful box, which places the fuel can to the right of the transmitter tray.

So how long does it take to get ready? From opening the 15”x12”x3” box to completion only required about 25 minutes. With over 40 screws for assembly, you'll end up with a sore palm like I did unless you use a powerdriver. recommend first starting the screws with a Phillips screwdriver and then securing them with an electric screwdriver.

The nine parts can, for the most part, only fit in one location. Of course now someone will install the handle upside down, but other than that it’s a one-way fit. ’d recommend the entire flight box be initially assembled and held together lightly with only a few screws, then return and secure the box by installing the remaining screws. There's no need for any Lock Tite: the screws are self-threading and stay put!

A neat feature is the transmitter tray, which holds the transmitter at a nice angle and safely off the ground. The tray also serves as the cover for the storage area, and transforms from cover to transmitter tray by sliding and tilting within the molded guide rails... pretty nifty engineering! The inside measures approximately 8”x11”x7”, and it's plenty large enough for your battery and starter, extra props, tools like screwdrivers or your prop wrench, as well as spare glow plugs and other stuff.

Over the years I’ve noticed some modelers like to bring their whole workshop out to the field “just in case” they need something. At one time, Yours Truly did that also. But when that philosophy caused a bilateral hernia and then a power scooter to transport the flight box to the pit area, I knew something had to change. As an experienced modeler, I know I can't cover every eventuality. Instead, the only items I pack in my flight box are those necessary to assemble, fuel, and fly my model – with just enough other stuff to perform simple maintenance. Less is more, and I can borrow what I need from flying buddies who still carry the kitchen sink.

A starter battery is a necessity as is a starter, and ProModeler ProTote field box has more than sufficient space for those items as well as room for a voltmeter, charger and even a camera to catch those moments that will last a lifetime. All of this storage space is nicely protected by the transmitter stand so things don’t leave your flight box on the trip to/from the field.

So how is this field box different (or better) than other field boxes? That depends on a couple of things, one being your life expectancy! I’ve gone through 3 or 4 field boxes during my tenure as a modeler. One didn’t last very long because the box was routinely set in a wet pit area and slowly the bottom rotted out. The ProModeler ProTote field box is not only waterproof but also oil proof, fuel proof and ding proof! My money is on this one being strong enough to handle years of use and abuse.

What's more, you don’t have to paint this one. In fact, you can order this flight box in any color you want... as long as it is Cub Yellow! And you do not have to nail and/or glue it one together; screws hold it together making it strong as well as light, a bit over 3 lbs empty. One of my flight boxes weighed almost 10 pounds EMPTY!

Is This For a Beginner?

Yes, this would be an excellent choice for someone just starting the hobby and could last a lifetime!

Conclusion

There isn’t one flight box that satisfies everyone’s requirements, but if you want one that will last a lifetime, assembles quickly and is light, I’d recommend you give this flight box a second look. And who doesn't love Cub Yellow?

Pluses:

• VERY durable
  • Quick assembly
  • Light weight

Minor Minuses:

• Some "mechanically challenged" might need instructions to assemble (instructions will be included in future kits)
  • Too small to carry giant scale props
Last edited by Angela H; Mar 28, 2009 at 03:17 PM..
Mar 30, 2009, 12:45 PM
Good review, short and to the point.
Mar 30, 2009, 01:57 PM
The problem with the review is that they did not creat the flight box. I have had one for 5 years. The flight box has been available under the KSJ brand distributed first by Horizon Hobby and now by Advantage Hobby.
Mar 31, 2009, 11:48 PM
wine country wing nut
I really like this product. I have flown nitro for many years and tried several field boxes. The simplistic design of this one would be a real advantage for me. I am going to buy one for my every weekend flying. Thank you.
Apr 02, 2009, 06:27 PM
I'm curious, are the screws stainless? I hate screws that RUST!
Apr 10, 2009, 05:36 PM
Thread OP
Not sure but if you were to replace a few of them with stainless it wouldn't hurt.
Jun 22, 2009, 06:09 AM
Some call me the other guy!
nice product for sure!

Quick Reply