Apr 19, 2011, 08:56 PM
Steven

DPS-600pb ESP135 PSU voltage and fan control.

Whitedg, the DPS-600pb also has these pins.
Use a 1k ohm pot between pins 3 and 9(+12 return sense) to increase voltage above 12v.
Use a 1k ohm pot between pins 5 and 9 to decrease voltage below 12v.
Or use a single 2k-10k pot with the outer legs tied to pins 3 and 5 and the center wiper to pin 9 for voltage adjustment above and below 12v.
I've modified a pic by mrforsyth to show how to do this.
Voltage is adjustable up to 13.8v on this supply. OVP starts at 13.82v.
If the PS shuts down at 13.8v with a load then just back down to a voltage that works for your particular situation.
Short pin 4 to ground to slow fan speed to a minimum or use pot for variable speed.
Once pin 4 is grounded, fan speed will be automatically adjusted based on load and ambient temperature.
Pin 4 is already internally connected to ground on the PS-3601-1C version of the ESP135 series.
Therefore, connect it to +12v to set fan speed to maximum.
Pin 11 is the +12v current share pin.
Short pins 6,8 and 10 together to power up.

265Ω = 13.8v
290Ω = 13.7v
330Ω = 13.6v
370Ω = 13.5v

and so forth..
Last edited by xandrios; Nov 02, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2011, 09:04 PM
Steven
Hey MUDSUX,

the 6800 PS pushes out 120 Amps at 12v - 14.2v depending on the model you have. But it needs to pull from 15a to 18a from your 120v wall outlet. So everything is fine. Maximum pull by law is 15a - 18a from a 120v wall outlet. If you pull to much power from the wall outlet you will just trip a circuit breaker and have to reset it.
Apr 19, 2011, 09:14 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
MUDSUX it may be useful to explain an electrical concept here and that is wattage. See you can not compare 12VDC to 120VAC directly. By that I mean you can not think that since the PS is outputting 100A on the 12V output, that it draws 100A off the AC input. To make this comparison we have to use wattage, or more specifically the below equation

Watts = Volts * Amps

So the PS is able to output 100A at 12V or

Watts(out) = Volts(out) * Amps(out) = 12V * 100A = 1200W

To find out how much input is needed to cover that much output, we rearrange the equation to

Amps = Watts / Volts

Now to calculate that number

Amps(in) = Watts(out) / Volts(in) = 1200W / 120V = 10A

Of course that will only cover the actual output and there are always losses in these electrical conversions, so we usually assume an 80% efficiency.

10A / .8 = 12.5A

Hope that helps.
Apr 20, 2011, 07:19 AM
Woah, college flashback! Thanks for the explanation Tjingguy. I should have paid more attention in Circuits 1 and 2! I vaguely remember V=IR That was a long time ago and the more I get into this hobby the more I realize how important it is.
Apr 22, 2011, 01:15 AM
I'm seeing a few different part #'s for the Dell 6800-6850 poweredge 1570 watt supply apart from the #'s xandrios has already given being,
Part #-7000850-000
Model-0D3015
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Part #-7000850-V000
Model-0HJ366

Part #-7000850-000
Model-HJ634

Cant say wether they are suitable or not or the differences from the numbers already posted.
Last edited by Craig 01; Apr 22, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Apr 22, 2011, 07:03 AM
Steven
Got you covered Craig 01.

Basically there are only 2 variants of the PE6800 PSU. The KD175 and JD200 models.
The only real difference is where they were manufactured.
The KD175 is made in Thailand.
The JD200 in China.
I've included a couple of pics to help differentiate between the two.
The 3 links that you've submitted suggest that they are of the JD200 model.
However, always ask for this information before you buy.
A picture posted on a sellers page is not always what is sent to the buyer.

Hope this helps...
Last edited by xandrios; Apr 22, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Apr 22, 2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks xandrios for the information.
Ive been looking for a JD200 since you posted the information earlier,would make a superb radio/amplifier supply especially the fact it is adjustable up to 14.2v.
And thanks for the work/testing you have put in on these supplies,very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Craig
Apr 22, 2011, 09:14 AM
Steven
Thanks.. It's just hard to believe that these are not available in your part of the world.. Shipping cost
Apr 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
Your not wrong on the shipping, works out about $75.00.Apparently they are 11-12 lbs in weight.
I did see one locally for about $300 odd and an equivalent purpose built supply of the amperage these are capable of would run into the several hundreds so that taken into consideration still not to bad.
I contacted the seller and they are actual pictures of the units for sale and are made in china but seller did not confirm they had JD200 identified on the label when asked.
I have found another one a bit dearer in price same shipping that is definitely a JD200.
Wish they were available here at cheap prices.
Apr 23, 2011, 06:56 AM
Use the 4S Luke
FWIW USPS (EMS) shipping is about $45 just about anywhere in the world for a medium flat rate box. You can see prices and box dimensions at USPS.com
Apr 23, 2011, 07:50 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
True, but the problem is most US vendors can't be bothered offering the USPS flat rate service. Feathermerchant is an honorable exception and has my gratitude.

It's easier for most of them to just use FedEx or another courier and avoid any hassles of "foreign" postage. It isn't possible in most cases for the overseas customer to specify the flat rate service since the vendor doesn't offer it. You can always ask but only the little guys seem to be flexible about it in my experience.

For example I just tried to order a US made perfume for my wife. $68 plus $148 in shipping! Guess whose son is going to buy some next time he is in LA.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
FWIW USPS (EMS) shipping is about $45 just about anywhere in the world for a medium flat rate box. You can see prices and box dimensions at USPS.com
Apr 23, 2011, 08:02 AM
So, putting together the work of MDavis22, tjinguy, xandrios & akschu I've modified my HP DPS-600pb 47A PSU to give me a supply that is quiet and puts out 13.8v.

I'll post pictures later, but what I did was remove the hot swap connector board and soldered the wires from the ribbon cable as follows:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - all to ground - this powers the supply on and reduces the fan to minimum speed (leave 3 out if you want to leave the fan at max speed. I haven't worked out the resistance to modify the speed yet)
8 - 265Ohm - +5VSB - this raises the output voltage to 13.8v

Many thanks for all your collective efforts.

whitedg
Apr 24, 2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios
Yeah. Those are 2 of the primary 5vsb pins. Top row and 4 to the right is the other. With the power off, just check for full continuity between the pins you've already found and other pins. This will give you all the pins on that rail.

The sb stands for standby. It means that the 5v will be available in all modes of operation. Powered up, powered down(standby) and during a fault condition.

Bringing that up, this is the method I used to find the correct pins to power up this supply. It also works for a majority of PS units out there.

With power off and testing each pin to ground.

1. Exclude any pins that are common to each other(including ground pins). Usually these are the 3v and 5v rail pins. They also show the same resistance.

2. Exclude any open pins(pins with no resistance that don't connect to anything).

3. Exclude any pins with a value below 1k ohms and above 10k ohms. From my experience, I've found that the pson and pskill resistance usually falls between a 1k and 10k range.

With power on.

4. Exclude any pins that show no voltage.(pson and pskill are held partially TTL high or just not grounded. So they show some voltage on them).

This will usually leave between 4-6 pins.

Use a .5k ohm resistor on each of the individual remaining pins and connect each to ground. The power supply will usually power up at this point.

Disconnect one resistor at a time from ground.

If the PS remains on after a you disconnect a resistor from ground, then the remaining pins contain the pson and pskill. So keep it disconnected from ground.

If the power supply turns off, then the disconnected pin is either the pson or pskill. So reconnect it to ground.

Repeat this process until you find the pson and pskill pins.

In some cases the PS will turn on with a fault.

If this happens then disconnect one resistor(pin) at a time from ground to find the one that is causing the fault. Then continue with the process above to find the pskill and pson pins.

Even with the 32 pins on the Poweredge 6800 PS, I was able to narrow it down to just 5 pins before I even tried to power it up. It took just under 20 minutes.
xandrios thank you very much for your process for identifying which pins are used to power up these psu's. Is there a similar process to identify which pins are used to adjust output voltage?

thanks
Don
Apr 24, 2011, 04:30 PM
Steven
Finding the pins that control output voltage is a process that also has the added benefit of revealing other important pins.

Usually there will be two pins that allow for a linear adjustment of the main DC output or (+V).

The (12V RMT SENSE RETURN) pin and the (12V RMT SENSE) pin.

A potentiometer from the (12V RMT SENSE RETURN) and +V will adjust output voltage.

A potentiometer from the (12V RMT SENSE) and -V (Ground) will adjust output voltage.

If for any reason the main +V output drops under load,

then it is best to short the (12V RMT SENSE) to +V and use the (12V RMT SENSE RETURN) to control voltage.

----------------------------------------------

To find the (12V RMT SENSE RETURN) :

Attach a voltmeter to the output of the PS.

Record the base voltage reading. For example lets say +12.2v(+V).

Through a 750Ω - 1kΩ resistor, connect the +V output to each pin one at a time. This saves more time than having to find all ground, +3v and +5v pins.

Watch your meter as you connect to each pin to see if the +V output changes.

If you get a +V change from only a single pin then you've found either the

A: The +12v current share.

or

B: The 12v remote sense return.

If you get a +V change from two pins than you've found both the

A: The +12v current share.

and

B: The 12v remote sense return.

Now use a lower value resistor on the pin(s) that were found. Lets say from 500Ω to 749Ω.

If the +V change is the same as when connecting the first resistor than you've found the +12 current share pin.

If the +V change is different than when connecting the first resistor than you've found the Voltage control pin.

Always use one of the +3v or +5v pins when finalizing the main PS output voltage adjustment as this enhances voltage regulation.

-----------------------------------------------

To find the (12V RMT SENSE) :

Use the above method with the -V output (Ground) instead of the +V output.

-----------------------------------------------

In some instances you may also find the fan speed control pin.

A minority of power supplies have this pin internally connected to ground.

Introducing a positive voltage to it will cause the fan to speed up.

The +12v current share pin can be used to fully regulate a PS as in post 470 or to vary fan speed in proportion to power

output as in post 461.

Hope this helps..
Last edited by xandrios; Jul 11, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Apr 26, 2011, 07:17 AM
Steven

Value of R628

Posting this picture for someone who needed the value of R628 in the KD175 PS. I don't know if you received my PM.

Quick Reply