Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 10, 2014, 08:39 AM
Hi

I bought 2 HP DL580 ML570 G3 Server 337867-501 and followed post 1 in this thread to get them up and running.. Shorted the 3 pins together on both psu`s.

this went fine, and i installed 6.8ohm resistors on the fans to slow them down some, and soldered on wires for paralell coupling the two PSU`s to 24v. (done it before on 46A PSU`s also). Did this without any earth connection from the wall outlet to any of the PSU`s.

They start up just fine, and i measure 24V on the output wires.
When i try to connect my PL8, they go into limp mode (lamp goes from green to yellow), and i get no power out of them anymore.

What might i have done wrong?
I have made 2 outputs for 24v for 2 pl8`s, and both measure 24.5V. Both makes the psu`s go into limp mode.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2014, 08:47 AM
You should connect charger before powering up the PSU's. They can't handle the sudden load that the charger input represents (while the capacitors charges up).

Fred
Mar 10, 2014, 09:02 AM
Haha, you are so right sir Feeling a bit stupid not trying that before i asked.

All ok then
Mar 13, 2014, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuominen View Post
Hi! I have Dell PowerEdge 2950 PSU model Z750P (instead of N750P) and it doesn't behave... When I plug the AC it takes minutes before the green OK led goes on. Sometimes the led never does go on and cycling power few may or may not help.

Anyhow, IF I manage to get the led on I can short PS_KILL and PSON pins to ground and it starts just fine.

I also have the N750P model from again 2950 server and it doe not have this delay. It gives green led immediately I plug AC.

So, Z750P model must be different revision and seems to have some circuit generating delay? May be waiting capacitor to load or whatever... I do not know. The problem is that the delay is not constant and I cannot be sure if PSU starts or not in some sensible time

Any knowledge anyone? Thanks!!
A bit old but I'll respond anyway.

Just purchased the Z750P model. Plug in the AC and power led lights right away every time. Connect pins A1, B1 and B6 and get 12V out.

Maybe your supply has a problem?
Mar 14, 2014, 08:47 PM
to live and let fly!!
do you know how to add a on and off switch for the unit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne View Post
I think I have found a way to have a small switch to set fan speed between High 'JET' speed and Medium 'OK' speed, it is working for me.

$17 delivered for 700 watts, not bad.

I have also modified one of mine so that Output GND is totally isolated, a lot more work than I would have liked though.

Can someone suggest where to post this picture for others to try this too?
Mar 19, 2014, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flyguy View Post
do you know how to add a on and off switch for the unit??
I was wondering the same thing about using a switch. I just ordered a NPS-700AB. i can't wait for mine to get here. should arrive in a couple days. i am going to mount it in my toolbox with some intake/exhaust fans. i'm not too concerned with fan noise since it will be mounted in my box. maybe later i will try to figure out how to adjust the fan speed. i was reading about installing a temp sensor that automatically adjusts the fan speed...but that's a project for another day. i will following the instructions here. https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...ects/server-ps. I have been reading online and this thread trying to find the answer...but have come up empty handed.

so my questions is...how do i add a switch to the NPS-700AB power supply to turn it on and off? i assume i could simply wire a switch on the jumper wire between A3/A4 and F3?

thanks in advance guys.
Last edited by tksnobords; Mar 19, 2014 at 09:01 AM.
Mar 21, 2014, 07:41 AM

HP 1200W PSU model HSTNS-PL11

Hi All,
Ive been reading through the posts and learnt heaps from the shared info.
I have 2 PSUs from a HP DL385 G5P server. They are 1200W PSUs with the model number HSTNS-PL11. From the forum posts Ive discovered they are very similar to the DPS-1200 PSU's so Ive been able to use this info to get the power supply running my connecting pins 1 and 4 on the top PCB strip -no resistor is needed.
This gives me 12.3 volts. I then opened the unit and followed the instructions to increase the output by adjusting the trim pot up to 12.8v.
Now this is where this power suppy differs to the DPS-1200's - the control cct is reverse for the trim pot resistance value. 0 ohms gives me 12.8v, and the trim pot at max (400 ohms from memory) reduces it to 11.7v. So I cant increase the resistance to increase the 12v rail any higher.
this thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...05309&page=150 # 2238

I want to use the power supply as a battery charger for my deep cycle batteries so I need it at 13.8v.
Ive followed Xandrios's guide to trial and error for working out the different pins, but this still hasnt allowed me to get more than 12.8v's.

Does anyone know how to increase the output any further??

Ive attached photos of the unit. and marked up the trim pot that controls the 12v rail for others incase it helps anyone.
the pin outs are the same as the DPS-1200..

thanks in advance

regards
Bryan
Mar 22, 2014, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios View Post
Hey mudsux,

Test the supply first by pushing in the pin in the picture. This will power up the PSU. You don't even have to bother with the pins to start. This should give you 12v at the output connectors.

Next short C2 to ground and press the button in again. C1 is ground so connect C1 to C2. This will power up the supply but with fans at minimum.

Start with a resistance of 165Ω between D3 and D4 to start. This should give you 13.6v. If you go below around 115Ω between these two pins the supply simply will not start because you are over the Over Voltage Protection (OVP) threshold.

Let me know how far you get..
I have a model 7000850-000 and I presume its the same one you guys are talking about..i got it powered up and fans slowed down ok....its resting at 12.2vdc...I put a 75amp load on it and it hold tight.....I tried the potentiometer mod using a 500 ohm pot.. the only way o got voltage to rise was top open pot wide open to 500ohm..voltage came up to 14.6 or so....I thought that's great...I put a load back on it and supply shut down....had to switch it off and back on again to get it turned back on..but everytime I put load on it it would shut down.
Any ideas
tks
Mar 23, 2014, 03:33 AM
You are probably right on the brink of OVP. Try turning it down to 14.4 and retry the tests and keep turning it down until you get it stable. Those extra 0.2-0.5v dont provide too much benefit when you look at the problems that arise with a shaky voltage supply.
Mar 23, 2014, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by led2 View Post
Hello!

First of all, I find this to be a great forum, with lots of useful information!
Thank you for posting so many pinouts and tutorials!

I have a Fujitsu DPS-700KB server power supply (12V/58A), for whitch I've drew the pinout, with the help of the tutorials.
The fan and the output voltage can be controlled.
The OVP seems to be set at around 13.5V.
The easiest way to increase the output voltage is to put a pot between + 12V voltage sense and +12V voltage sense return.
With a resistance of 3k, you'll get 13.2V, and with 2.25k -> 13.48V.
Beware that the +12V voltage sense return pin draws allot of current, so it cannot be pulled up! But it works perfectly to compensate tle loss of the return wire, even with the adjustable voltage!

Now, I would like to raise the OVP limit to 14-14.2V, but I don't quite know where to start.
The control board has a single 393, and only one op-amp is being used, the other one is tied to the ground!
I'm not even sure that the 393 is in charge of the OVP...
If you have some advices, please post them.
Thanks!
Hi,
i have a Fujitsu server PSU Model DPS-500HB A 550watt max
I do not know the Pin-Out and how to start this PSU on, can you help me to make use of this PSU?
awaiting for your reply
Mar 23, 2014, 03:27 PM
just got my PSU...time to test it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksnobords View Post
I was wondering the same thing about using a switch. I just ordered a NPS-700AB. i can't wait for mine to get here. should arrive in a couple days. i am going to mount it in my toolbox with some intake/exhaust fans. i'm not too concerned with fan noise since it will be mounted in my box. maybe later i will try to figure out how to adjust the fan speed. i was reading about installing a temp sensor that automatically adjusts the fan speed...but that's a project for another day. i will following the instructions here. https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...ects/server-ps. I have been reading online and this thread trying to find the answer...but have come up empty handed.

so my questions is...how do i add a switch to the NPS-700AB power supply to turn it on and off? i assume i could simply wire a switch on the jumper wire between A3/A4 and F3?

thanks in advance guys.
Mar 25, 2014, 12:47 PM
I setup a 900 watt hp power supply and other than sounding like a 747 it seems to be doing fine for about a month now. It puts out a constant 12.8 Vdc. I got a iCharger to use with this and suddenly after a few weeks it locks up and quits working. Been watching it with a voltmeter and it's a constant 12vdc once turned on and cleanly shuts off too and while running. I am a bit paranoid that the power supply may have caused this but really can't see any reason why. Should I be nervous about using a server power supply and burning up a charger?
Mar 25, 2014, 04:47 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
No.
Mar 25, 2014, 10:02 PM
what binding posts (or banana jacks) are you guys using?

i picked up some from radio shack rated at 10A at 250V...but I don't want to worry about overheating them if i decide to pull 50A from my dell NPS-700AB.
Mar 28, 2014, 12:42 PM

Dell DPS-275EB A

Hello,
looking for pin description for dell DPS-275EB A. How do I turn it on?