Oct 10, 2012, 03:58 PM
Steven
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevets
Is there an internal way? I'm OK with going inside the box.
None yet..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2012, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
You will have fun with some of the Chinglish.

Example: "Anode cannot answer the wrong, not at the correct measurement."
And: "If set a value of 15.0 W OPP, the output power more than 15 W, the machine will automatically be cut off output, and report to the police."

I just received mine. Have you figured out more regarding the setting options? Is it possible to define if the relay shall be normally ON or OFF?

Fred
Oct 11, 2012, 06:03 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
Fred, sorry I'm on holidays at the moment away from all things modeling. Thought the relay output was a simple transistor ON switch that put Vcc across the relay coil but didn't actually try it.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen
And: "If set a value of 15.0 W OPP, the output power more than 15 W, the machine will automatically be cut off output, and report to the police."

I just received mine. Have you figured out more regarding the setting options? Is it possible to define if the relay shall be normally ON or OFF?

Fred
Oct 12, 2012, 01:08 AM
www.solidhobby.com
Want an on/off switch?

edit:
For all the PMs...these are not ready to sell yet...coming soon. I just got this first one made last night, what do you think? As soon as I get another part for my dummy load I am going to be able to fully test the power cords under full load (47 amps DC) to be sure they hold up to the current. I have no doubt they will as everything is overrated. The switch is rated at 15 amps AC, the two paralell plugs are 10 amps each, so that is 20 amps, and the 14 AWG main cord is rated at 15 amps. At max the PSUs run in series shouldn't pull more than 13 or so amps at 110 volts AC, I will be testing that too.
Last edited by jocanon; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Oct 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Steven
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrios
I prefer the elegance of simplicity.
I like it jocanon.
The simple ideas are always the best.

Last edited by xandrios; Oct 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
Oct 12, 2012, 02:25 PM

Help with this same power supply

I have the same power supply as being talked about in these posts and am hoping to get it working this weekend but had a few questions and hoped that the original people who made these posts are still around, or someone else who might have a similar dell supply.

Did you ever end up figuring out what was the best option for the value of the resistor and which pins you ended up hooking up.

In the test diagrams of the pins i'm trying to figure out the orientation of the power supply. I'm assuming it was the same as in the original photo but wanted to make sure.

Were you able to get the full amperage out of the 12v rail of the power supply at all the voltages?

I'm hoping to run a 12vdc motor from the supply that can draw about 28amp at 12v. but will likely not ever be running it up to that load.

Thanks for the help.
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern429
I have a Dell 7000236-000 600 watt power supply (12v @46A) that was from a Power Edge 6600 server and have a few questions. From reading the posts here I was finally able to get it to turn on by shorting two of the pins to ground (see pic). I only get 11.486 volts, but it will power my charger and it did charge a battery. In reading several of the posts it seems that there are several other Dell power supplies (simular to what I have) that have other features that would be nice to have if this power supply has them. I have read that some have a voltage adjust and something to slow the fans down. From the pictures shown I think I have figured out what all the big plugs are for and there voltages, but all seem to be low. Any help would be great, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstern429
Ok Attached is the info I found out using the information in post #599. With a lead attached to the positive terminal and a 1K resistor in line (test 1) I found the pins that changed the voltage. The 11.879v & 11.530v will not go any higher than 11.909v with even down to a 100 ohm resistor, but the 11.594v @ D1 will go to 12.4v with a 122 ohm resistor (any lower and the PS faults). So I am guessing that 12.4v is the best it can do unless I am doing something else wrong. In test 2 with the lead on ground and a 1k resistor in line I get a slight rise in voltage on D6 (+11.651) and a fault on C6, but on A5 I get +11.705 volts and the fan speeds up. On test 3 is just voltmeter readings on all the pins, just incase it helps . It looks like a 122 ohm resistor on the D1 to +12 volts is the ticket to up the output voltage, but the resistors seem to get hot (I am using a 100 ohm & a 22 ohm resistor in series and the 100 ohm gets the hottest). Any thoughts? Do I have the voltage control figured out? thanks, Jeff
Quote:
Hey jstern429,

it looks like you found the right pin.

Pin D1 is the voltage control pin.

Use one of the 5v pins for final voltage adjustment. 5v pin to resistor to Pin D1.
The 12v out was just for testing.
This will change the value of the resistor but should run cooler.
This also helps in voltage regulation
Oct 12, 2012, 05:26 PM

HP / Delta DPS-650AB information

Hi all,

greetings from Germany, I joined this forum because of this great thread!

I have this PowerSupply and going to use it for my LiPo Charger thats needs max. 37 A.

But I couldn't find any Pinout (and I searched hard) ... Delta Electronics will not send me datasheets because of contracts with the PC manufacturer ...

The PSU hast no power jack for the mains and no fan ... I am going to add this.

Five of the small Pins are a bit shorter than the rest. Any suggestions for the Pinout?

Thanks and greetings
Fabian
Oct 13, 2012, 12:25 AM
TRB
Can someone please explain to me why all these fancy battery chargers do not come with internal, A/C power supplies and simply plug into the wall like any other piece of electronics gear is expected to do?
Oct 13, 2012, 12:29 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
Some do, but quite a few people power their chargers with 12V/24V outlets at a field or with personal batteries, and having to lug around a unecessary power supply whenever it isn't necessary isn't quite convenient either.
Oct 13, 2012, 07:03 AM
ancora imparo
Thread OP
Well the main reason is that unless you make one up from a server PS, a 1400Watt power supply costs more than a 1400 Watt battery charger.

That is a lot of power and decent safe power supplies of this capacity that run off potentially lethal mains supplies are not a trivial item.The simple economics is that not everyone wants a built in mains supply and they would have to be certified for a range of different power systems.

When you get up into the 1000W class of LiPo charger it is a lot simpler to make a single item running off a low voltage supply which does not require all that hassle of mains certification in each country and let the local customer/3rd party vendors supply the mains -> DC solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravon
Can someone please explain to me why all these fancy battery chargers do not come with internal, A/C power supplies and simply plug into the wall like any other piece of electronics gear is expected to do?
Oct 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Manufacturers being able to not have to go through the CSA/UL/CE certification is a big plus to them. Keeps the R&D costs down. I could not imagine being able to buy a 1000 watt charger for under $200 if it had to go through the standards checks required for devices that run off mains voltage.
Oct 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
TRB
People on this forum are buying off-the-shelf, already-certified server power supplies and hooking them up to battery chargers. How is it not possible for the manufacturer to do the same thing, save the consumer the trouble, and do it at a lower price by buying the power suppiles wholesale?

Also, all computer powersupplies I've ever seen in my life are switch-mode power supplies that run on anything from 100V to 250V AC, at 50 or 60Hz.
Oct 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
www.solidhobby.com
Ask Tim Marks why he doesn't do it. I am sure there is a good reason besides what's already been stated. One thing I can think of is not everyone body is using the chargers in the same way, sometimes they are used out at the field on DC power, sometimes they are used at home on AC power (converted to DC). I think it just makes good sense to keep the chargers and the power supplies separate so you can customize your power supply to suit your purposes and maximize the capacity to how much you need. I guess they could offer power supplies for sale along with the chargers but then maybe they just don't want to be in the power supply business. If they combined them then the chargers would be around $600 and up and then you would still have to come up with a solution for charging out at the field, i.e. a power inverter.
Oct 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Use the 4S Luke
Daravon - We are using retired (used) file server supplies. Very high quality. New peice probably $300. That's why.
We started by charging NiCad batteries using a timer and simple current limiter from our car batteries. These were small <200W power systems good for 5min max at full throttle and suitable for powering a glider. Chargers have evolved as as they did, we found cheap ways of powering them when we got tired of killing car batteries.
And as mentioned above there is no certification required for 12/24V appliances like there is for 120/240V.
Oct 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
The OCP circuit remains intact even after the OVP mod as can be seen here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=606

Why do you ask??

hi, on the KD175 PowerSupply at 14,4V with disabled OVP, the integrated OCP triggers faster than an external 100A fuse ?

still a question: which of these 2 powersupplys is better to mod up to 14,4V with very high output power ?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/150890165971?...84.m1438.l2649

or http://www.ebay.de/itm/DELL-POWER-SU...-/110949829545

Quick Reply