Feb 21, 2009, 12:19 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Bomb Making in the Garage (1/12 scale, that is!)

There, that title ought to get me some knocks on the door! I'm getting my Gotha G.IV prettied up for Chilliwack in May, and one thing a bomber needs is bombs. These won't be droppable, but will go a long way to adding some authenticity to the beast. A quick search on the Internet revealed that there were no kits or ready made 1/12 scale WW1 German 100kg bombs. Big surprise there. So here's how I went about making them.

First I scanned a 3-view into my computer. I determined from measurements how long each bomb should be, and enlarged the scan to the correct size, and printed off a few copies on some card stock. Then I cut some pieces of blue foam using my band-saw to square size. I cut out one of the card stock pictures to make a template with which to draw the correct shape on to the foam. Then back to the band-saw to carefully cut the foam to rough shape.

Then it was time to break out the sanding block to round the corners, and then some finer grit paper used free hand to finish off shaping the bomb cores. I cut another template out of the card stock to check the shape was correct during sanding.

After the cores were shaped, I covered each one with tissue paper and a mixture of yellow wood glue thinned about 50/50 with water. After that was dry, a did a light sanding, and applied two coats of water based polyurethane, sanding between the coats.

In between drying times, I cut a template for the fins from the card stock, and traced the pattern on to some .020 sheet styrene. Those were all cut out with a sharp knife.

To attach the fins I first took a piece of cardboard and drew on three lines 120 degrees apart. I cut a hole in the middle, and slipped this template over the bombs so that I could accurately mark the fin placements. Each bomb gets 3 fins.

To attach the fins I used a sharp knife to cut a very small slit in the bomb into which the fin would go. I glued the fins in with R/C56 canopy glue. The plastic fins themselves actually all meet up aft of the bomb, so I used a small drop of liquid plastic cement to glue them all together. Make sure it's a very small amount, because that cement dissolves foam on contact!

After the bombs are dry, I'll give them a final touch up with some filler and sandpaper, and then paint.

I'm really happy with how they turned out, and they are very light. The next step is to make the bomb racks on the airplane itself.
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Feb 21, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2009, 01:25 PM
Got my attention with that title .... Those bombs do look really good.

Another thing a bomber that has bombs needs, is to drop them , just kidding, great job.

Dean
Feb 21, 2009, 01:30 PM
zup
zup
i,ll join in and get a knock on my door too.
i did the same thing except i made one out of foam and fiberglass,cut it in half and used that as a plug and vaccuum formed the rest.
Feb 21, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zup
i,ll join in and get a knock on my door too.
i did the same thing except i made one out of foam and fiberglass,cut it in half and used that as a plug and vaccuum formed the rest.
Great idea, especially for mass production. Luckily I only need 4.
Feb 21, 2009, 02:16 PM
Funny, how we went from streamlined bombs like that, to the fatter ones (including the US's box-fin bombs), to the modern streamlined ones that look a lot like the ones you did.

CD
Feb 21, 2009, 04:11 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky
There, that title ought to get me some knocks on the door! ...
Hehe! With the way some knuckleheads are here in the States, that kind of title might bring more than just knocks on the door!

Forget the RC Groups hits, think how many google hits it'll get!

James

Quick Reply