Feb 20, 2009, 06:32 AM
Single-task at best...
Thread OP
Discussion

Another Ladybird? This one's a bipe!

Just had an email from my old mate, Geoff Northmore (now deporterd to New Zealand), of the Ladybird that he built some years ago from an Aeromodeller plan.

He scaled it up to use an OS40 as a powerplant.

Have to admit that it really is pretty - looks like a collection of french curves....

tim
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2009, 09:33 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Yeah Tim, a beautiful bird! If anyone out there wants to build this Ladybird Special I can offer the plans in digitized high resolution .PDF format. Just e-mail me at [email protected] and be sure to mention "Ladybird Special plans" and I will e-mail the plans back. No charge, this is just from my personal plans collection.

Planeman
Feb 20, 2009, 04:56 PM
Very pretty indeed. Looks like a little dihedral has been taken out of it.
I've built two of them over the years original size with Mills 1.3 for power......pics are at the top of the 'Freeflight' section.
Feb 20, 2009, 11:41 PM
B for Bruce
That positively looks like it was intended from the outset as a biplane. Two wings and two fins lends it an artful symettry. Tell Geoff that he done good...
Feb 23, 2009, 09:03 PM

Ladybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
Very pretty indeed. Looks like a little dihedral has been taken out of it.
I've built two of them over the years original size with Mills 1.3 for power......pics are at the top of the 'Freeflight' section.
Gossie you are quite correct as I did reduce the dihedral. As a result it tended to sideslip in on turns - not one of my better efforts. Getting the rudders to work with out linkages showing was a challenge as well. It did loop on one occasion, but the wings wobbled a bit - needed stronger elastic bands or a better method with hindsight. Geoff.
Feb 23, 2009, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Northmore
Gossie you are quite correct as I did reduce the dihedral. As a result it tended to sideslip in on turns - not one of my better efforts. Getting the rudders to work with out linkages showing was a challenge as well. It did loop on one occasion, but the wings wobbled a bit - needed stronger elastic bands or a better method with hindsight. Geoff.
LOL. I guess I'm toooooo smart for my own good. It does look a bit 'flat' though compared to mine. You would probably only know though if you really knew the model.

Why not saw the wings through at the centre section and increase the dihedral a little? Make sure to use some dihedral braces though.
I did just that with a freeflight Frankenstein years ago, that I still have, when it looked 'flat' and was an awful flier until the dihedral was increased.

What span is it as a matter of interest?
Feb 23, 2009, 09:37 PM

Ladybird

I think the model was 60 inches w/s. At the time I was a new comer to Vintage and enlarged the plan by hand - the fuselage formers and wing ribs were a long drawn out tedious process I remember. If I was to build it again I would retain the original dihedral and probably fasten the wings on with dowels and nylon bolts. The wings/tailplane, complete with fins and rudders, were given away when I left the U.K. I cannot remember what happened to the fuselage. I probably junked it as it was no pleasure to fly in its existing state. If you want a challenge have a go at a freeflight Kolibric! Geoff.
Dec 05, 2009, 07:35 AM
Factorywriggs
Hi Geoff
The lads at Shifnal say Hi!
Dec 05, 2009, 11:00 AM
Geoff, you may say, “not one of my better efforts”, but the rest of us say it looks great. Classic lines. Very nicely done.
John
Dec 05, 2009, 12:24 PM
Did you make the folding wings like shown on the plan?
Dec 05, 2009, 02:08 PM
Folding wings were an option. Plan suggested gluing together for onepiece wing(s)
Dec 07, 2009, 05:04 PM
Be Happy, Lower Your Standards

My Ladybird

I finished my ladybird a couple of months ago and still fly it when the weather permits.

The video is not that great but at the end I detail how I made the twin fins into rudders using one servo.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I think the Ladybird is a classic art deco design. It is beautiful to watch. I fly it around a bit, then run it up to altitude and let if fly free flight. I have already had several thermals with it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/crankart#p/u/5/k5oP_gj40z0

Arthur
Dec 07, 2009, 10:07 PM
Very nice indeed.
Dec 08, 2009, 09:35 PM
Here's my two Ladybirds that have been seen before.
Both Freeflight.
Dec 08, 2009, 10:21 PM
Those are a couple of nice birds Would love to see them fly.

Bill

Quick Reply