Feb 16, 2009, 08:28 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thread OP
Discussion

First Fully 3D Shockflyer Using the PZ Vapor Brick?

I maidened my new micro 3D model yesterday and it seemed to work out pretty well.

My partner in crime (MrFlash) shot some video and has just edited it together, so we thought we'd share it with you all.

Thanks go to dmitrygr for finding the extra 2 channels hidden on the new Vapor bricks which made this possible.

Specs :

AP03 Brushless Motor (3.1g)
1S180 Lipo
PZ Vapor brick (Ailerons and Elevator)
Toki RC-1 Smartservo (Rudder)
TGY DP 3A Esc
GWS 4530 prop

Wingspan : 16"
AUW : 25g (0.88oz)
3mm #1.3 EPP with 'honeycomb milled' wing.

Enjoy,
Si.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKcUsjICgJw
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2009, 08:45 PM
Micro EDF addict
Looking good and flies really nice! I never had enough torque with the Toki's and one cell, is there something different? I want to try this same setup in my plane. I just haven't had the patience to mod the brick yet. The ap03 is definitely a good motor!

But I don't think its the worlds smallest shockflyer, remember that one guy with the mini bee or whatever he called it? It was 17g? and 13 or 14" span?
Feb 16, 2009, 08:52 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Si,

Thanks for starting a thread on this one.

Ken
Feb 16, 2009, 09:04 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thread OP
Josh, thanks for the comps. There's nothing different about the Toki on the rudder, just a low friction tape hinge. It's not great, but it does the job.
I agree it's not the smallest shockflyer, Martin Hauk's 'Baby Bee' was smaller although it was 'stick and tissue' rather than a foamie. I think this is the first to use the Vapor brick though, which makes it significantly cheaper than using all the MicroInvent gear.

Ken, no problem, I know you've been waiting for it

Si.
Feb 16, 2009, 09:18 PM
is it flying time?
Fantastic job Si! You have passed me a whole bunch on flying ability.

Jerry
Feb 16, 2009, 09:28 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Really nice flying Si. I love the rolling circle under the ribbon.

So do you plan on publishing the plans here?

Ken
Last edited by dz1sfb; Feb 18, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Feb 17, 2009, 02:30 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Glad you decided to let this one out of the bag Si. Great job as always mate. This thing looks even better in the flesh ..erm foam

Hi Josh, wasnt 100% about it being the worlds smallest so I put the question marks in...lol . As far as foamies go its a close call between Si's, yours and maybe the one Wayne Geffon was flying at E-Fest. Looks like this year could see a revolution in this kinda thing. Awesome job on yours as well. Im pretty shure yours has gotta be the first to hit the "buy and fly" micro 3D market.

Hey Jerry, hows it goin bud ! Looks like Si's thumbs have been getting some simulator time eh !.
Feb 17, 2009, 03:07 AM
Mc-Fly
Nice work!

I was waiting for somebody to make a 3D plane with the Vapor RX...

Sorry to steal your thunder heres the smallest https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=toki

And ive made one also which weighs in at 14g AUW using the Plantraco servo RX but will need to rebuild it when i get time as i have damaged it beyond repair
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post11496969
Feb 17, 2009, 03:59 AM
C.H.E.A.P.
Looks Fantastic, Si!

Lance
Feb 17, 2009, 06:38 AM
Really great - hard to believe where we are with "ordinary" - no disrespect intended - components.

Is that Satriani?
Feb 17, 2009, 07:00 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Thread OP
Glad you guys like it. I have to admit it flew better than i expected. It still needs some tweaks, but this was just to prove the concept and electronics.

Jerry, it's your fault I started dabbling with the micro models. After watching the vid of your Micro Ballerina (I think it was Devin flying it?) I was hooked.

Ken, i'm afraid I won't be posting plans for this one as it's a 50% scale version of a model that Donuts models are in the process of kitting. Now that i know what i'm doing i'm working on a new design with some improvements that i'll be posting in the coming weeks.

Flash, Your editing actually makes my flying look pretty good I'm sure you've got loads of 'outtake' footage too though lol. Trust you to give the vid that title and stir things up...seems to be getting plenty of views though. I think you're right and there are going to be a flood of micro shockies around this year. I think Josh's Raptor is going to take the market by storm, it looks too damn cool!

Veteran, thanks for the links those are some great models! It's a shame there are no clips of the German one hovering, or more importantly pulling out of a hover. I don't think i'll ever make one as light as your 14g wonder, that's amazing. Looking forward to seeing some video of the rebuilt version.

Si.
Feb 17, 2009, 08:24 AM
lol...yep its amazing how having a camera stuck in yer face improves yer ability to do a rolling circuit limbo

Chris, music is Andy Timmons "Cry For You". Ex axeslinger from Danger Danger.

Cant wait for MKII Si if this is just the test setup !!
Feb 17, 2009, 09:46 AM
is it flying time?
Si,

I am glad that the Ballerina got you interested, you sure have raised the stakes a bit! I will have to give the Parkzone equipment a shot when I get a chance. Right now I am saving my money for a slightly larger project which Mr Flash can tell you about. I need to come over and get some lessons from you on flying. That single roll circle looked darn good as did the rolling circle under the limbo.

Jerry
Feb 17, 2009, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Combs
Right now I am saving my money for a slightly larger project which Mr Flash can tell you about.
Looks like you two have swopped brains, Si's doing micro's and JC is hitting the big stuff. Ill PM ya the details Si, think Oklahoma is gonna get some power surges when he charges them lipos.
Feb 17, 2009, 03:12 PM
Is there a thread or info on how to 'use' the extra 2 channels on the vapors brick ?

Quick Reply