Feb 16, 2009, 06:30 PM
Cal Slope Criminal@DV
Discussion

Tangent ASH 26 , Maiden report

Lots of rain , no work and a project that has been on the build bench for a year or so!!! am I the only one? This is my way of getting a big a$$ sailplane without spending Big Bucks on a 3m + carbon moldie!

The photo shows the second attempt at attaching the wing lockers , my first try failed because the epoxy got into the female side , I got it apart before the epoxy completely set so not much damage was done. I used grease to keep the resin from flowing into the fuselage side but that did not work , so now there is a piece of latex glove there to keep the resin out ( hopefully). I inject it into the hole on the top and the setup is in perfect alignment . ( This worked fine on an ASW27b )

After all this time in the build Que , two servos that were to go into the wing ended up in something else so no spoilers for this plane . I think I can get 60 deg of flaps so crow should be enough , I never had good luck with spoilers anyway , they can always be easily added later.

The question now is how anal do I get with the cockpit detail ? My usual thing is to print up a panel on sticky back and put some black plastic on for a cowl . Time was , I'd make X-rated cockpit detail but I'm a Grandpa now so those days are gone Once you glue the whole thing together anything that comes loose just rattles around !!! pita. The other possibility is a trap door in the bottom so I could put mice in to see how the Raptors react, ( but that is a subject for another forum , sorry ! ) OK enough of this , I think that epoxy is set.

Earl
Last edited by Duke58; Mar 09, 2009 at 12:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2009, 07:25 PM
Are you serious?
Earl, looks nice. I seen one of these fly here in Oz and they really fly nicely. I have a 1/3rd scale ASH on my books to start this year and seeing your really puts the motivation monster in top gear.
Go all the way for your cockpit :-) it does add to the beauty!
M
Feb 19, 2009, 07:50 PM
Cal Slope Criminal@DV
Thanks Miraj , everyone needs motivation!! I should have this Bad Girl in the air this weekend if I can remember how to set-up the radio the way I want I have about 7 other planes with the same sort of span wise flap and crow programming and I go through this every time Each model has gotten to the same place from slightly different program paths ( kinda like my brain ) I'll be sure and get video , always maiden with video ,,,,right? The canopy is going on with two sided tape so I can get in and detail later , also I think it will survive hard landings better if it's not attached ridged.

Earl
Feb 20, 2009, 09:26 PM
I'm All Thumbs
Looks great Earl!.
Where you gonna maiden at?
BTW..."atmospheric river" predicted for Sat. nite through Mon.
Skies.
Jay.
Feb 21, 2009, 11:48 AM
Cal Slope Criminal@DV
Thanks Jay , got the stickers on and had her up on the balance beam last night, all I need to do is put the seal tape on the flaps and ailerons. I'll haul her up to DV today but if the wind is South , no go! The back hill has no secondary LZ

I'll post the last pretty picture of her when I get to the shop this morning.

Earl
Mar 09, 2009, 12:39 PM
Cal Slope Criminal@DV
Finally got the ASH 26 in the air Sunday and what a great day it was! Good lift ,clear skies and no foam The plane is better than I expected, just a click of down trim and she was happy , after a few circles to check out stalls and rudder throws I was down on the ridge making turns and getting the wing tips green We took some video but those things are kind of boring unless there is carnage, I may put a short highlights vid together though.

I can't wait to get this plane to Los Banos for some big air , not a lot of money , well spent! Thanks Jay

Earl