This thread is privately moderated by kpriddle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 28, 2020, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
First thing is swap out the TD head ..if you just stick a big prop on it you will overheat the engine
This has come up before, nobody has identified an actual difference between TD .020 head and a Pee Wee .020 head... note this vintage package. An extra head gasket or two will do the trick.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2020, 04:38 PM
Pro Hoarder
Yes I also have a few new in package like that..Still trying to find hard proof..Why did Cox add the ridges to some(Like TD 049 Head) The chamber is so small I don't have equipment to measure the cc with accuracy. Only thing I have seen as I posted is the pre 70 engines had a cylinder and head like the larger TD motors..But no clarification as to what all the variation was..So far it seems that they were the same CR..Which is good as I have a lot more NIB 020 heads with no ridges
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jan 28, 2020, 04:59 PM
Nitro User
Hotter element, or cut cost with skipping the knurled ring on the plug top with the later versions.
Last edited by 1/2A Nut; Jan 28, 2020 at 05:12 PM.
Feb 14, 2020, 11:22 AM
Nitro User
ALERT: USPS WILL BE TEMPORARILY SUSPENDING THE GUARANTEE ON PRIORITY MAIL EXPRESS INTERNATIONAL DESTINED FOR CHINA
AND HONG KONG, EFFECTIVE MONDAY, FEB. 10, 2020, DUE TO WIDESPREAD AIRLINE CANCELLATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS INTO THIS AREA.

To all the folks here in the 1/2A forum I would not recommend buying any parts from this region, the risk is just not worth testing.
Feb 14, 2020, 11:53 AM
///////
Quote:
To all the folks here in the 1/2A forum I would not recommend buying any parts from this region, the risk is just not worth testing.
Feb 14, 2020, 11:59 AM
Nitro User
Lol too funny!

Feb 20, 2020, 10:54 PM

New Micro and Mini Pilot Bust from WillyNillies.com

Hi Everyone,

We looked everywhere for cool pilots for our little airplanes and couldn't find any just the right size at an affordable price....... so we started making our own!

The MICRO series easily fit inside a standard Sig MFG 4" canopy with no trimming. The MINI pilots easily fit in 5"+ canopies with no trimming.

They do NOT come painted. They are made from flesh tone plastic.

In stock, ready to ship only $1.99 each.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Mar 29, 2020, 06:19 PM
Nitro User
1" tall pilot

I used Sharpie (fine point) permanent markers, these pilots are very small in size shown next to a TD .010 for comparison.
Doug's micro size pilots are very suitable for small .010 to .020 size planes. Really need some reading glasses to stay on top
of the effort a magnifying glass / light assembly on a swing arm will be your best bet. I did this without any aid, my hi res
camera shows all the mistakes better than I can see them. The fine point tips are not the way to go it's just what I had on tap.

Recommend Sharpie (Ultra Fine) Tip Permanent Markers for the details.

A pic from my collection of pilots the original Pamela bust from America and the smaller version knock off from China.
Also original Graupner vs smaller China version of another female pilot with cap / goggles. The chaps in the back
can still be bought these of course in the last pic are better suited for larger engines. The small ones ok for 10 - 15's

Last edited by 1/2A Nut; Mar 29, 2020 at 09:05 PM.
Mar 29, 2020, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhart1971
The MICRO series easily fit inside a standard Sig MFG 4" canopy with no trimming. The MINI pilots easily fit in 5"+ canopies with no trimming.
Does anyone have a cad file for one? Has anyone considered taking that cad file and making an STL file and printing one with a 3D printer? PLA plastic and 3D printers are pretty cheap these days.
Mar 29, 2020, 08:47 PM
Nitro User
Mooney this is 3D printed.
The pilot is so small you can't see or feel the ridges.
The shine is from 3 coats of clear fuel proof paint.
Last edited by 1/2A Nut; Mar 29, 2020 at 08:52 PM.
Apr 03, 2020, 11:40 AM

Backplate assembly

Would there be any benefit from going to the higher performance backplate on the production engine? Looks like the reed valve has a bent corner so that might explain the lack of suction on the same tank set up that worked for two td's. See pics
Apr 03, 2020, 05:10 PM
IMHO, all you need is a reed. The higher performance backplate likely has a bigger bore which would give less suction. More performance though.

Quick Reply