Beach Runs At Torrey Pines: The Remix - RC Groups
Feb 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
Video

Beach Runs At Torrey Pines: The Remix

This a special video for you guys.

This is a REMIX of a clip from my full-scale gliding film Redline Sky. Jonathan Tappan shot this epic Torrey footage a few years ago and I spent tons of time fixing and re-editing the poor quality footage to look good. I took original DVD edit and ran it through Apple's Color app, to add some nice FX. Music by Dirty Vegas which strangely fit.

Post comment or question here.

Radio Carbon Art always gives you the best video content on the web.

You can watch a higher quality version via YouTube, just go to my
Soaring Channel at: http://www.youtube.com/user/pnaton

Paul Naton
www.radiocarbonart.com
Last edited by Paul Naton; Feb 15, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2009, 10:36 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Now that was COOL!
Thanks for posting and sharing.
Feb 15, 2009, 12:54 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Great vid! Never really thought about doing full scale gliding, but man, that will give you the urge. Thanks for the film, very well done!

Diggs
Feb 15, 2009, 02:22 AM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
..... I wanna do that !
Feb 15, 2009, 03:51 AM

You wanna do that!!

So do I but I don't have the $100,000 admission price..
Feb 15, 2009, 06:54 AM
dmt
dmt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie Shaw
So do I but I don't have the $100,000 admission price..
I flew gliders as a teenager (well, maybe I was 20 -- can't remember exactly). You don't have to buy your own. Just getting up for a few lessons can be a great experience, and, for many, less money than buying another RC model and associated equipment that they don't really even need (that is, if they already have a few models). Just sayin'. Nobody has to do it if they don't want to of course(!), but if someone is interested in getting their feet wet, the cost isn't immense (but rather, can be in line with getting semi-seriously into RC gliders).
Feb 15, 2009, 09:48 AM
steme, discus, ventus i think. Nice! Wat is a old school?
Bravo Paul! Awesome video!
Feb 15, 2009, 10:17 AM
JimN8UAY
Paul! Freakin' awesome video! If you've ever been to Torrey as I have, just imagining a full size glider flying overhead approaching from the east as in the videos is just unbelievable! And the speeds they flew looked incredible...Wow!!

Great job editing the video. You truly have skills...

What a way to wake up on a Sunday morning...I almost snorted my coffee when I saw the first high speed pass from the east, behind, out over the ocean...wow!

Jim
Feb 15, 2009, 10:23 AM

Torrey Sailplanes

Paul,

Thanks for the video - the local full scale club (AGCSC) is currently working on the permitting paperwork for the 2009 soaring season at Torrey, although the construction at UCSD surrounding the gliderport makes it increasingly difficult. If RCers want to assist the AGCSC in keeping "full scale" sailplanes alive at Torrey, I encourage them to contact AGCSC directly via Ed Slater <ejs044@cox.net>. They will need assistance with ground crews, etc. Many of us are still trying our hardest to keep this location available for all forms of motorless flight.

Gary Fogel
Feb 15, 2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys!
The original footage was shot on analog 8mm video, and though the scenes were spectacular, the video quality was poor, jerky, and there was some tape damage that ruined a few scenes. For the Redline Sky DVD, I spent a fair amount of time repairing the footage frame by frame, and running it thru the stabilizer filters to take out the motion. Tons of work, but I saved this rare and epic footage and made it into a watchable short.

There are about 3 days a year where the conditions are right, and rare to get the best pilots on the ridge going OFF. The Stemme S10 flew in from Warner Springs, and pilot Garret W got a warning from the FAA on those beach runs.......heres a picture from the cockpit that day. Fishing anyone?

You can watch a higher quality version of this film on my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/pnaton
Feb 15, 2009, 11:57 AM
Proud member of AAA
I got married at the gliderport. It would have been very cool to have sailed off with my new bride after saying our vows. That was awsome! Thanks for sharing.

MJ
Feb 15, 2009, 02:38 PM
Gravity always Wins :(
wow amazing
Feb 16, 2009, 07:16 PM
AMA L897187
Quote:
Garret W got a warning from the FAA on those beach runs......
Classsic FAA. Always the first to step in and ruin a good time

20 years ago I used to chase antelope across wyoming in a Piper Navajo. Low flight is one of the most addicting things you can do in an airplane. Also TERRIBLY unforgiving. Still, can you imagine the exhilaration of doing this in the surf.
Feb 17, 2009, 12:48 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It!

reelin me in...

Loved it, LOVED IT!!! I'm scheduled for a sailplane orientation flight this week - weather permitting. This clip just sets the hook that much deeper, LOL!

Thanks for sharing, Cheers!
Raul
Feb 18, 2009, 05:49 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
That is amazing!!

Some of those low flyby's over the runway are under the shear. Semi ds'ing. You can see the wings complaining as he goes through the shear. Gutsiest flying I have seen. Thanks for posting.

Eric