Feb 12, 2009, 10:40 AM
Discussion

Video Stabilized Gimbal Project

I'm working on a UAV project of 2 meters wingspan. I will need also for this project a Video Stabilized Gimbal.

Here you can see pictures of the system and the camera, with 25x-35x zoom.
http://www.azoreanuav.com/index.php?...id=4&Itemid=12

I would like to make partners for this project. Anyone have knowledge to help me? My e-mail is: azoreanuav@ gmail.com
Please contact-me if you know how to do it.

Best regards
Rui Costa
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2009, 11:47 AM
Instead of designing one only to try to sell it later, why not start an open-source project by contributing your ideas and have others follow-up with their ideas?

Just a thought.

Vas
Feb 12, 2009, 12:27 PM
You may also want to have a look in the multikopter build thread were a few are now using two flight controlers to have roll and nick stabilized gimbal mounts. In theory you could even have 3 axis stabilization (also yaw axis) as the FC has three gyros, a 3 axis axelerometer, and either a compass or a a three axis magnetometer. A cheaper solution might be using the QuadroControl IIC which has 3 gyros and four PWM outputs and reprogramming that as gimbal controler over 3 axes although you would have some temperature drift unless you used the MLX gyros.
Feb 12, 2009, 02:54 PM
Can be open source. But I don't know how to start. I need some guidelines. What processor to use, what gyros, what servos, etc.
Feb 12, 2009, 03:14 PM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hi

You might want to contact Scott Armitage over on the KAP site

He has developed a gyro stabilized rig for Kite AP (watch the black borders to see how the rig is smoothing out the movement)

http://www.vimeo.com/3169089

here is a link to the thread

Cheers
DaveB...>
Feb 12, 2009, 03:20 PM
Maybe we can use the Arduino processor ans some gyros and one IMU from Sparkfun. What do you think?
Mar 04, 2009, 06:34 AM
Any help?
Mar 04, 2009, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderGuideMan
Hi

You might want to contact Scott Armitage over on the KAP site

He has developed a gyro stabilized rig for Kite AP (watch the black borders to see how the rig is smoothing out the movement)

http://www.vimeo.com/3169089

here is a link to the thread

Cheers
DaveB...>
That looks like post processing with deshaking software not a stabilized gimbal. Just saying.
Mar 05, 2009, 01:41 AM
I agree Deshaking Software, you could upgrade and do roll Stabilization and zoom so the edges are clean. Plus if you shot in HD you could motion track a object as you do a 360 and have a butter smooth 360 of the object. I say HD because it will have to zoom in and out on that object to stay smooth so you end up with a very nice looking SD clip.

Camera Quality is nice though.