RC Groups

RC Groups
    Foamies (Scratchbuilt)
        Build Log Dollar Tree Foam ... EZ-Jets

#1 Lockey Feb 25, 2015 04:28 AM

Dollar Tree Foam ... EZ-Jets

8 Attachment(s)
A few guys have asked me to design a few EDF jets made from Dollar Tree foam board and make them cheap and easy to build, so I decided to design a few models using an interchangeable power pod (EDF, ESC and thrust tube)

I am calling them my "Foam Board EZ-Jets"

I borrowed the idea of the power pod from Chris at Foam Concept Jets, as he uses a similar setup ... thanks Chris and hope you don't mind me using your great idea … Chris uses a large foam cup for his Power pod, here is a video of his one
Building the thrust tube for your 70mm Foam Concept Jet. (14 min 15 sec)
also visit Chris's web site, he has some real neat models http://foamconceptjets.com/

In case you don’t want to or (like me can’t find the right foam cup, I will start the thread with a … “how to make the interchangeable power pod”

I used one of Hobby Kings cheap and cheerful EDF / ESC combos and found it a nice little combo for the price, but you can use any 64 or 70 mm EDF … https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11165

Here is the Power Pod, its just a very simple tapered tube made of foam ... Patterns for this Power Pod will be included on each set of plans /patterns

Lockey

Plans are now available at: http://www.lockeysrcplans.com

#2 Lockey Feb 25, 2015 04:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is my first attempt at the EZ-Jets ... this one is the Blackbird SR-72 concept jet

Ready for maiden, AUW before paint is 820 grams (29 ounces) with 2200 / 4s battery

I think next time I would leave the paper on the outside and remove it on the inside to save a little weight, on the wings I will leave both sides, I like the look of it

Lockey

#3 Lockey Feb 25, 2015 04:39 AM

I didn't want to start this thread until I had maidened the first model ... so here is the maiden

Didn't have much time today, but as the wind was quite low, I thought I would give her a quick maiden flight

It flew (no trim needed) straight from my underhand launch ... she flies great :D:D:D

Very pleased with my first foam board EZ-Jet

I think I might be a little nose heavy as I was about an inch further forward of my best calculated guess ... I think this maybe contributed to what happened right at the end on the video

Battery was as far back as I could get it, and don't have a smaller 4s battery, maybe I should move the EDF back a little on the plans ??

Plenty of power / thrust though from the cheapy EDF ... and it sounded quite nice too

Lockey

EZ SR72 Maiden (3 min 0 sec)

#4 Lockey Feb 25, 2015 05:20 AM

28 Attachment(s)
Anyway, here is the build log for the SR-72

Very easy and quick to build, I had it ready for fitting radio gear etc in an afternoon (about 4-5 hours)

Its the very first time I have used foam board, and I probably made a few mistakes, but I do quite like it for building ... a little different to Depron :p

I used hot glue for the entire build and I found that ... its not a good idea to use masking tape to hold parts together for gluing as it pulls some of the paper covering off the foam :rolleyes: :o

Plans at bottom of page ... only request is, if you build it, post pics of your build and video of the maiden ... please enjoy ...

Plans are now available at: http://www.lockeysrcplans.com

#5 nuteman Feb 25, 2015 08:21 AM

Man, you are just having too much fun! :D

#6 Lockey Feb 25, 2015 09:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuteman (Post 30890419)
Man, you are just having too much fun! :D

Cheers Nuteman, you are so right mate ... and guess what ... I have another almost ready to go :D

Trouble is, I can't remember where I found this one or what its called, thought it might be another concept jet, but maybe its just someones imagination running wild ;)

All I need to complete this one is ... a bit of foam board, a couple of servos and a receiver ... I already have the EDF and ESC :D

Lockey

#7 dpalmer146 Feb 25, 2015 09:15 AM

Great build !

Lockey,
Love the new plane. I like the look of the second drawings even more. Just built my first F-22 prop in slot pusher. Love the way it flies. Almost ready to make a move to an edf. Definitely watching this thread. Thanks for all of your great work!

#8 swampflyer Feb 25, 2015 10:07 AM

very cool.

thanks for the plans. This looks like one that my son would LOVE.

ive tried to get him into flying a bit here and there. he's still young, only 8. but flies great on the sim. 3channel, 4 channel, he does great. the F22 prop jet i just built really got him interested.

#9 Robert4613 Feb 25, 2015 03:26 PM

It's so amazing to see people with more talent in their little finger than I do in my whole body. Looks great! I'll have to check out the video of the maiden when I have some spare time.

#10 Lockey Feb 25, 2015 09:46 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I didn't move the EDF position back on the plans, so check your battery and EDF for balance before cutting out the slot in the wing for the EDF pod

I was also thinking, if anyone wants to go with a pusher and save weight (about 150 - 200 grams could be saved) it would be easy to remove the EDF pod and use a removable pusher pod ... I will try this and see what batter it needs to get it to balance OK

Lockey

#11 Lockey Feb 26, 2015 07:10 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Pusher power pod, balances OK with 2200 / 3s battery on where I estimate C of G should be

Weight with 2200 / 3s battery is 660 grams ... EDF wieght with 2200 / 4s battery is 820 grams

I have also modified the plans ... shortened the EDF pod by 25 mm and changed the position on the wing, this should help with balancing with the EDF setup ... also added the Pusher power pod

I will post the modified plans later when I have converted to PDF files

Lockey

#12 Lawn Dart Flyer Feb 26, 2015 10:24 AM

I was never interested in a jet, until now

#13 Balloon Bandit Feb 26, 2015 11:49 AM

Aha! So this is what has distracted you from the StarTrek bird.. LOL, Great designs, keep up the good work Tony!

#14 Balloon Bandit Feb 26, 2015 02:24 PM

Are you leaving paper on those DTF jets?

#15 Lockey Feb 26, 2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balloon Bandit (Post 30901970)
Aha! So this is what has distracted you from the StarTrek bird.. LOL, Great designs, keep up the good work Tony!

Whoops ... you found me Bandit :D I did get distracted by this one mate because it was so quick and easy to build

I did leave the paper on this one but its the first time I ever used foam board so I wasn't quite sure what to do

I think on the next one I will remove the inner paper to make it a bit lighter, ... now I have found out how EASY it is to remove the paper ... but leave the outer on for strength

These models are designed to be cheap, quick and easy to make (but still have a bit of shape and style rather than just a profile model) and chuck away when it gets too banged up ... after all, we do live in a chuck away society eh :rolleyes: :p

I will throw a bit of paint on it later ... never was big on painting though :o

Lockey