SergeyK's blog - RC Groups
SergeyK's blog View Details
Posted by SergeyK | Sep 01, 2016 @ 09:56 PM | 7,309 Views
Starting a new project, Mostly Printed CNC
I've been thinking of a CNC router for cutting depron for several years now. But high cost and piles of foam shavings kept me away.
But recently, I stumbled on a thread that describes cutting depron with a simple reciprocating needle made from a wire. This thread also recommended looking at this MPCNC.
Since I own a 3D printer, and after upgrading that printer I have an old RAMBO board left over that could be used, that sounds like a good plan and a fun project.
Posted by SergeyK | Dec 14, 2012 @ 11:09 PM | 18,678 Views
Well, after a lot of research and hesitation, I bought a 3D Printer kit, MakerGear M2
It took a while, but finally the printer has been delivered.

While it is strictly speaking not RC, I intend to use it mostly to make RC-related parts, so it is RC-related after all.

Here in this thread I'd like to document my journey in assembling, tuning and using this 3D printer.
Posted by SergeyK | Apr 14, 2012 @ 09:53 PM | 6,028 Views
I just returned from a trip to Nizhny Novgorod, Russia - the city of my childhood. There, in my parents' apartments, I had a chance to review and photograph the collection of airliners that my dad and I scratch-built in mid-80s, when I was in the middle school.
All planes are at the same scale of 1:200 and made from wood. Fuselages were carved from broom handles, wings - sanded from plywood. Wheels - laminated from carton, landing gears made from match sticks.
Did not have a computer or printer or a way to create decals, so the decorations were hand-drawn on paper and glued to the enamel-covered fuselages.
I had a very tiny and crude 3-veiws from some magazines and limited set of photos in a couple of books. But I did spend hours at the local airport staring at the planes there. As a result, the planes ended up fairly accurate.
I'm especially proud of the way the noses turned out. I went the great length making sure the nose is perfect and had to redo them many times before I was satisfied. So the nose was the first thing to be carved as you don't know how much material would be removed.

The models are still in good shape after a quarter century of abuse by children. Paper yellowed, some ink smeared, pretty much all landing gears are gone, some parts are broken, and a couple of planes (Il-86 and Yak-40) were missing. But it was great to recall that whole affair.
Posted by SergeyK | May 19, 2011 @ 02:50 PM | 38,087 Views
I'd like to start a 1/20 scale Tu-134A project. And keep this blog to organize my thoughts and references for myself.

General Plan:
- rough prototype first to test flight characteristics, CG, power requirements, weight lifting capabilities, building technologies. The prototype can use simple props.
- then start modifying the prototype to finalize the technology for various components and the power system, test things like retracts, flaps.
- once all decisions are finalized, make the final clean version.

- Neffwaffe's planes. Unfortunately he only publishes on Youtube, very limited info.
- A bunch of demondriver's planes. These are simple but probably too heavy for 55mm EDFs:
-- DC-9-51, 4.2lb, 70mm HET typhoons from, not yet flown
-- DC-9-32 len: 62", ws: 48", AUW 3.5 to 4lbs, above EDFs, not finished yet
-- BAC 1-11 len: 69", ws: 69", AUW 5.5lb, above EDFs
- MD-83 This one is nice and very close, unfortunately unfinished. Plans or at least instructions at, Ws: 1300mm (51"), len: 1670mm (65"), AUW 1100g (39oz), ELE 55mm with 4100kv. In the instructions and video they user 3600kv.
- B727 https://www....Continue Reading