Deacono's blog - RC Groups
Deacono's blog View Details
Posted by Deacono | Jul 10, 2018 @ 04:37 PM | 2,167 Views
I bought this used from a nice gentleman on here. It had been well loved and had many flights. I wanted to refresh her with a new paint job and some repairs. So far on the wing I added some bamboo rods in the wingtips. Sanding all the foam casting marks off, filling damaged areas with hobbylite and getting her ready for paint. I put more bamboo spars in the rudder, elevator and flaps. I think adding nylon hinges to control surfaces is one of the best mods you can do to a plane. Ailerons I skipped for now. They seemed pretty good and didn't put much stress on the servos.

Painting a plane this size silver has its pluses and minuses for sure. On the minus side you will go through a lot of silver paint. Also one step I skipped and shouldn't have was priming the plane black. Especially for silver paint. Silver tends to hide a lot less imperfections and require a lot more paint to hide them. With black as a base coat it really helps minimize the amount of coats needed. On the plus size silver really brings out all the panel lines and details of your model.

As I finish up the painting I will start working on the detail stuff. Gonna hand make; antenna, pilot tube, and possibly faux steps. Will add prop decals, airplane ID number and some other decals last.

I really think the Parkzone Stinson SR-10 is a well made airframe. The wing is tough with a decent amount of spars. The fuselage is built very solid and seems to be able to withstand abuse. It Would be cool to see a...Continue Reading
Posted by Deacono | Jun 27, 2018 @ 12:34 PM | 2,485 Views
I had mulitiple terrible mishaps with this plane. After completing the cockpit I left the plane in a area where it got too much sun My cat also decided that my plane was a chew toy. Needless to say most my work was destroyed and I had to put the project down for a while. Now I am back to it. "Helloooo Dolly" scheme is my pick for this plane. Still have to redue the cockpit but paint and reapairs are mostly done. Colors aren't totally correct but I prefer them over stock. New pilot from the Freewing A-10 fits perfect and looks more scale than the included pilot (poor guy couldn't even see over the instrument panel haha)
Posted by Deacono | Jun 15, 2018 @ 06:40 PM | 1,876 Views
I bought a spare airframe cheap. It has some gatoring in the foam but otherwise structurally sound. I decided to do a Russian "M" variant with yellow highlights and some fixes I wish they would have done. I have the civilian version and it has been a great plane and has taken some abuse. Landing gear didn't hold up well, Neither did the tail wheel. So those two things I changed. Aluminum main landing gear legs cantered inward and a my own homemade tail wheel. New low bounce treaded 2 inch tires from HK that really look the part and are well made (not to mention cheap.) Nylon pin hinges on the rudder and elevator. Green and red wingtip nav lights, white landing light, orange anti collision light on the rudder. Pilot tube, antenna, exhaust pipes and more to come ...Continue Reading
Posted by Deacono | Nov 08, 2017 @ 11:51 PM | 1,920 Views
The F-104 is on hold while I rebuild the LG mains to handle more weight.
So while I wait on parts I started a repaint of the Durafly 1100mm Ju-87G. Looking at grabbing some callie graphics and making it a D version.
This is my Ju-87D-5 V2
Split flaps, rebuilt cockpit new pilot, nylon hinges on rudder/elevator, wingtip skids, 2nd to last picture shows ventilation to battery bay via intake and to motor via holes in exhaust stack. Made a german WW2 bomb and making a bomb release trapeze. Last picture is with antenna and prop decals. Not scale but cool looking. Still repainting the 20mm cannons.
Not done but has been a fun re-paint.
Posted by Deacono | Oct 02, 2017 @ 02:07 PM | 2,000 Views
New drop tanks made from wingtip tanks.
Posted by Deacono | Jan 15, 2017 @ 04:35 PM | 2,595 Views
To give a idea of how it sits. The belly tank is removable and clears the gear doors.
Posted by Deacono | Jan 14, 2017 @ 06:40 PM | 2,902 Views
This is now hopefully the tail end of this build. Retract doors and metal strut retract upgrade is not easy due to space constraint. The New retracts allow for a large range of motion on landing. You might notice the small size of the main landing gear tires. These are so far the best fit of all the tires I have tried. The mains are roughly 1.5 inches in diameter. The front tire is the stock 1.25 inch.

Front retract door is spring and retract driven. The main doors operate on two 180 degree servos. Range of motion and end points have to be programmed via Assan retract mechanism (hobbyking) in order to not interfere with landing gear range of motion. The original gear door sequencer did not allow for adjustment of each servo.
( gear doors are from the 90mm freewing f-104 )

Other upgrades include landing lights, nav lights, anti collision lights all totalling 12 lights. Also have a LED afterburner kit installed.
70mm 12 blade EDFhobbies 2100kv inrunner and 100-120amp esc.

I did a little cockpit work. Put a booster seat under the pilot. Added a hud/gun sight and put hinges on the cockpit. Also added removable refuel probe. I am also finishing up numerous removable ordnance.