Gilbert Griffith's blog - RC Groups
Gilbert Griffith's blog View Details
Posted by Gilbert Griffith | Jul 25, 2014 @ 03:46 AM | 3,137 Views
Received my Durafly Spitfire from Hobbyking on Thursday, all put together with Orange receiver and tested on Friday evening.
There were a few extra screws and control horns included in the kit, thanks.
Weather not good on Saturday.
Sunday took it to the airport and tested it on the grass (too long) and the road which was rough and the tail wheel axle fell out, it's only a self-tapper, so I hot glued it in later. Didn't fly it.
Monday there's no wind. Took it to the sports oval and tried a take off but one wheel fell off. I had put a pair of 2.5" wheels on which are softer than the supplied 2" wheels. So it broke the plastic oleo, cover and one prop blade.
Cut the prop down to a two blader and hand launched for a good maiden flight where I needed a little down trim and a little right roll trim, only a few clicks. Tested the flaps, glide with engine off, stall, spin, and various approaches to some 6" long grass before landing nice and slow with the flaps down.
My tx was set on lower rates of 60% for the whole flight and I didn't try the full throws as I need a bit more pracise before I do that.
I am very happy with it and it flies beautifully.
A week of rain and wind later they cut the grass at the airport, so I was able to take off for the first time on grass. No problems at all with the take off, and flew for about 5 minutes doing some low passes to see how she handled the approaches. With the flaps off it greased on with 1/4 throttle on final...Continue Reading
Posted by Gilbert Griffith | Nov 22, 2013 @ 05:02 AM | 2,257 Views
Second Tricopter
Using the same props, motors and esc's as the quad, plus a 9g metal gear digital servo for the tail motor. Weight 197g without battery. Pine frame.
10 minutes flight time on 1000mAh 3S battery.
Posted by Gilbert Griffith | Jun 19, 2013 @ 01:18 AM | 2,647 Views
My first scratch built quad, based on Marc's mini tri copter
posted Jun 12, 2013, 11:49 PM by Gilbert G [ updated Jun 12, 2013, 11:58 PM ]
Here is the info from my first multirotor build.

Spektrum DX6i TX, All throws 100% Throttle trim down maximum. Dual rate set at 40% with 20% Expo. Full rate 100% no expo.
radio battery is 8.4v 270mAH LIPO.

Orange R610 receiver with casing removed.
KK2 controller flashed with 1.5 firmware. Mounted on two layers of double sided foam tape with 5mm low density foam in between.
KK2 Settings are;



Acc Pitch 20
Acc roll 21

Height D 15
D limit 30

Voltage sensor 66 for 2 cell, 100 for three cell.

Scaling; Roll 80
Pitch 80
Yaw 90
Thr 90
I may increase the pitch and roll scaling as I learn to control it better, but don't need dual rates at the moment as high rate is ok on these settings.

Props are 320mm diagonally between centres. X form. That's 220mm between motors
Props 5030 glued to motor shafts. Individually balanced with laser pointer.

Hextronix 20gram Brushless outrunner 2300kv
Hobbyking 6A Esc 0.5A UBEC flashed with bs.hex from SimonK. I've taken the heat shrink off them as well.

Motor mounts epoxied to balsa arms (leading edges from an old glider kit) about 12 x 15mm, and strong thread tied around the outside of the balsa arm and through the mount holes then glued with superglue.

Batteries tried out,
ZIPPY Flightmax 800mAh 2S1P 20C 49g
Turnigy nano-tech 460mah 3S 25~40C 45g

Total weight 165 grams without battery.

Performance is good with 2s and awesome with 3s battery.
Flight time around 7-10 minutes.
Wind has very little effect with self leveling on.

Everything came from HK with total cost around $87 not including my TX.

Jimmy's battery