rayonnair's blog - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
rayonnair's blog View Details
Posted by rayonnair | Mar 09, 2014 @ 04:32 AM | 3,620 Views
I've a Futaba T8FG which works pretty flawlessly on all my planes over a range of receivers from Futaba originals to FrSky, Corona, and Orange FASST compatibles. Recently I've gotten into the whole multicopter FPV thing and range wise it's getting real iffy on the copters - I can barely get 300-400m away. The biggest offender is my blackout mini spider hex which has such a crowded and untidy setup that I think it's the most radio noisy place in the world. Doesn't help that it is an all CF body. That said, other people get oodles of range on theirs, so the conclusion is that the problem must lie with me or my setup.

As I only have time to work this out on the weekends and I tend to forget things, and I'm using this as a log. Also, perhaps it might be useful to someone in future, hence it'll be a public one.

Current thought is that there is nothing wrong with my 8FG and it is my receiver setup that is the problem. That said, I have had minor glitches before on my planes when I am flying. I have no gliders and have never really specked out a plane before.

A preliminary list of things to research and investigate:
  • Range check individual receivers
  • Clean up / isolate receiver in multirotor
  • Rx antennae placement experimentation
  • New 9/3/14: component-by-component range check. I.e., radio check with vtx on/off, OSD on/off, etc.
  • Mod rx antennae, or buying
  • Mod tx antennae, or buying
  • Try a buddy's 8FG
  • Try an alternative 2.4GHz module
A preliminary list of links:

Goal: hope to reach ~1km range in an open field.
Posted by rayonnair | Apr 28, 2013 @ 12:41 AM | 4,615 Views
Last sunday, I crashed roughly landed my 58" Edge on final. Pure pilot error.

The first four fuselage formers, the landing gear, and the cowl were all pretty beat up. The landing gear departed the fuselage and the wheelpants dug into the wings, denting the sheeting. All in all, the damage wasn't too bad considering what the crash landing looked like.

The plan of action to repair was:
  1. Reinforce the first former so that I can insert new carbon landing gear rods and ply landing gear pieces.
  2. Build new bottom portions of the second and third formers so that I can sandwich the landing gear plate in between; then glue it onto the existing second and third formers with ply doublers. Clean up with balsa sheeting and sticks, and sand to fit.
  3. Glue everything together, including longerons, sand flush for a smooth covering job, and cover.
  4. Patch over the wings.

Stuff you will need:
- Epoxy (I recommend 30min; I only had 15min epoxy to use because my 30min epoxy was severely yellow and the LHS was all out)
- CA
- Plywood of various thicknesses
- An x-acto knife or similar to cut the ply (because using a saw sucks!)
- balsa sticks (4mm x 3mm, I only had 5mm x 3mm)
- balsa sheeting (~2mm thick, I only had 1.5mm or something)
- balsa triangles (small ones)
- steel rule
- pencil
- sandpaper (I used 80cw)

Remember, you can sand down bigger parts, so having oversized parts is not too much of an issue.
Posted by rayonnair | Mar 09, 2013 @ 07:36 AM | 4,455 Views
A couple weeks back one of my favourite birds, the 3dhs 47 SHP, lost signal or something on landing approach and plowed into the ground. It had a bunch of nice ADC vinyl on it, too. Ugh .

I actually have 2 of these birds which I got second hand. The older one is pretty beat up, especially around the tail section, though it still flies. The newer one, which catastrophically crashed, had two damaged wings and most of the fuselage formers broken... but the tail was intact.

Time for a bright idea! I decided to cut out the intact tail section of the new, red SHP, and stick it on the back of the still flying blue SHP. I will also try, if I can, to salvage one of the red SHP's wings (with the vinyl on it) and put it on.

Ordinarily I would have just purchased a new frame from 3DHS. However, they've not been real good about keeping stuff in stock... the 47 SHP has been out since November 2012 and is not expected to come back in until April or May 2013!

So repair it is. It will be a rough-and-ready repair... so long as it flies and I manage to save some of the vinyl, I'm happy.
Posted by rayonnair | Mar 07, 2013 @ 08:54 PM | 3,740 Views
Some of blucor basher's tips

Rough motor / prop selection, from https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7429


1.A motor needs to be about the right weight to balance a plane. Can't get around that. On this plane, for instance, we have a range of 13-16 oz. or so. Motors in that range, if they are at all high quality, can do 85A burst for 3D applications.

2.Next, we need to know what we want for a power level. I like about 200W/lb or so. Plane weighs 9 lbs. So, 1800W.

3.1800W / 85A = 21 volts under load. 21volts / 3.5volts per cell = 6 cells So, 6 cells minimum.

4.For 3D'ing most of the electric props we use, we want 8-9,000 target RPM or so. 8,000rpm / 21volts = 380 rpm/volt 9,000rpm / 21volts = 428 rpm/volt Gives us a rough KV range of 380-430 or so. And, just like you'd figure, for most 6S applications in this plane, people are using 380-440 KV.

5.For more power in this rough size of motor, we go up in cell count. 85A peak x 8 cells x 3.5v/cell = 2380 watts.

Rough setup guide, from https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=626

We've been flying 47-48" aircraft on 4S with Hs-65 for 5 years. This is not a new thing. There are about 10,000 posts about it over that time. The issues and solutions are always the same:

1.Servos break, they're servos, so yes someone could have a bad servo. Take your linkages off and move the servos and try to resist them with your hands. A weak one is pretty obvious.

2.Make...Continue Reading