quitcherbitchen's blog archive for November, 2011 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
quitcherbitchen's blog View Details
Archive for November, 2011
Posted by quitcherbitchen | Nov 25, 2011 @ 06:37 PM | 4,942 Views
Very time consuming trying to fine 2mm screws. Finally, ended up with Nylon 2-56 screws and nylocks which I think a lot better then my 2mm steel idea. I cleaned up the linkage with just a Z bender. Took forever to drill out all the brass hinges. Broke two micro bits even though I was taking it easy. Just screwing everything together takes time.
Posted by quitcherbitchen | Nov 21, 2011 @ 12:25 AM | 5,856 Views
Spent days analyzing different Fowler Flap solutions and finally think I got it figured out. Tried using vice style which the full size Stella used but it kept binding up and now I see why few people use this method. I found a guy on You Tube building a massive B-36 model and copied his method. Took better part of a day cutting and re-cutting to get the geometry right. Works pretty good without binding and is a one servo per flap solution. Learned that carbon make lousy hinge material. Brass seems to be the ticket. I need to find more really small nylock nuts and machine screws to really finish the job. Even though the flaps seem like a headache I know it will be worth the trouble. Made similar slot flaps for a Falcon 56 and the plane was a super STOL . In the future I'll take picture of each component and you can see how easy yet complicated it is. The whole thing will end up flush without any protrusions. The gap is only slightly bigger then slotted so I don't know how much increase in wing area I will get until fitted to the wing.
Posted by quitcherbitchen | Nov 07, 2011 @ 12:23 AM | 4,789 Views
Bad weather sure makes building go fast. Got the fuse about 80 percent done. I can probably salvage my cowl cutting mistake by shaving the inside front lip of the cowl to get the dummy radial forward. The only pictures of the front of a real but now extinct Ki-76 looks like it didn't even have a lip in the cowl. I might be OK. Almost thinking about the tail feathers---Almost.
Posted by quitcherbitchen | Nov 06, 2011 @ 02:56 PM | 5,049 Views
Things going a little slow, but I made progress. Took a bit of liberty with the canopy windows. Not really big enough to be scale, but this model is semi scale anyway. I also trimmed the cowl about 3/16 too short. Motor mount is slanted 2 degrees down and 2 degrees to starboard perfectly, but 1/8 too far forward. Lesson, mount motor first then trim cowl. So far under 7oz. Not sure weather to paint first or cover then paint. Still a little sheeting to go on the side, but not much. Wife and daughter complaining I ignore them.