nasgul's blog archive for October, 2011 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
nasgul's blog View Details
Archive for October, 2011


Posted by nasgul | Oct 30, 2011 @ 10:47 AM | 4,425 Views
mostly finished the makeover of the wraith. total weight without lipo is now 196g, instead of 207g, saved 11g. whilst not a lot, every little lost helps! added a new vac formed dome, in gloss black, fixed with small velcro tabs to frame plate. i do prefer the matt though, as used on my y4/6, so may change that later. i have also added led strips to the arms for night flights!

also used 6"gws 3 blade props now, as seems to be slightly more stable, and motors barely get warm even after a good run!

also tried 3s lipo, and boy does it go! really lights up well too! motors and esc do get warm, but nothing drastic. i shall use 3s for night flights (also cooler at night, helps keep temp of motors and esc's down), and 2s for normal daytime running.

needs cable ties and a small receiver plate made up for front, good rx reception, and i like the "bug" look it gives

Rebuilt Wraith Quadcopter Test + Led's! (1 min 19 sec)

Edit; Now managed to glean another 4 grams off the weight by using one full servo lead, and signal only wires for the rest! (board to rx connections!) so total is 192g without lipo now!
Posted by nasgul | Oct 23, 2011 @ 10:50 PM | 4,605 Views
got in from work,

food, chill, then decided to re-do wraith mini-quad........

3:44am, soldering, while listening to new evanescence album, things going well, new dome sorted, 6 grams lighter than previous one, led strip on each arm, runs very bright on 2 cell!
ditched landing legs, as now relatively proficient at flying now, plus saves weight. gonna try 6" props, as weight reduced, so less stress on motors, possibly help stability?

new pics posted soon
Posted by nasgul | Oct 19, 2011 @ 07:05 PM | 5,133 Views
well, all been put together, looks very sweet! using it as a y4 at the moment, although when other motors and esc's arrive, shall give it the y6 treatment. i made a nose for it out of some scrap 1mm carbon sheet offcuts i had lurking around, to mount the rx and keep things tidy. the ariels look like bug antenna's, so have nicknamed it the "weevil", lol.

also fitted some led strips to it, which are impressive considering they are meant to be run on 12v yet are still bright on 2 cell lipo!...Continue Reading
Posted by nasgul | Oct 14, 2011 @ 08:51 PM | 5,130 Views
received my new frame today from (thanks louis and eric!), so done a loose build to see what she looks like.......

some light sanding of parts for a good fit, build quality is VERY good, looks good, goes together very easily and quickly. more to follow........