RCvehicleGuy's blog - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
RCvehicleGuy's blog View Details
Posted by RCvehicleGuy | Sep 12, 2017 @ 01:49 AM | 1,277 Views
So Rev 2 flew quite a bit better. The build came out lighter and using 4 servos was a good idea. I'm finding the Emax 9051 digital servos are not the best at centering though, and despite never trimming, the plane is better than the last. I flew the old one a lot over the summer and decided it needed a few things still.

First it needs wheel pants, most importantly, for the looks I mean. So I've got some for the new model. I'm also hoping to minimize the coupling to the gear in knife edge. Not only do wheel pants look cool, but they are like little wings for supporting the landing gear during knife edge. It certainly can't hinder knife edge performance having them. Thinking they might create a low pressure spot on the underside of the stab during slipping and knife edge might be stretching physics, but I hypothesize it might do this too.

I also decided it needed more wing area so I stretched the wing chord at the rear back almost an inch. I also pulled the nose wider quite a bit and brought the stabilizer moment forward some too. It's not lacking on the pitch authority or initial response, but it lacks some of the snap your want in a true 3d machine. I'm hoping to see a little bit more momentum in a tumble, not that foamies really tumble.

Finally I'll be using pushrods on this version. Pull Pull is fine on depron planes but EPP changes it's size way too much and is too soft for it to work well. It's pretty much fine on the elevator, but it's too loose on the rudder...Continue Reading
Posted by RCvehicleGuy | Dec 11, 2016 @ 05:22 PM | 1,961 Views
I finished all the flight testing I wanted to do on revision 1 and came up with the name for the airplane. It is called the Kshatriya, a hindu term referring to the military elite. I just think it sounds cool.

All I have right now are some 2D graphics to share. I didn't do much to the design. The big thing was giving it a little more wing area by stretching the leading edge forward 13mm. I also pulled the aileron roots forward 6.5mm and changed from a single aileron servo to two. I hope that the stresses in flight during rough pitch maneuvers don't overwhelm the servos! On a single servo model they cancel each other out but on a dual servo model there is a possibility of servo gear strippage or blowback during hard pitch maneuvers. Especially as the ailerons get to be enormous like they are on this model. I also added a few aerodynamic accessories to try and nullify some of the coupling issues I have. I have no scientific reasoning behind the placement or size of the T-can or wing fences. I know the wing fences will give it a little more area to knife edge on, also hoping to tame some of the harrier wing rock on the model. It's a light model, but without any wing fences and that high aspect ratio wing it can be a little tippy at high alpha. One of the reasons I increased the chord was this as well, lower the aspect ratio and tame wing rock. It's not awful on rev 1 but it doesn't groove in a harrier, you're always busy unless you're turning. Which brings me to the T-can....Continue Reading
Posted by RCvehicleGuy | Nov 14, 2016 @ 12:42 AM | 2,153 Views
Well hi again. I haven't got much in the way of text today but I do have some pics. Just today I ventured out an hour away and a local foam plane shop helped me out with their laser and we got a few prototypes cut. One for myself and two for friends who were willing to try it out at cost.

It's amazing what the laser will do for you. The level of detail it's capable of is astounding. Plus it cuts the whole plane within five minutes! We didn't even waste a sheet of foam like we thought we would getting it calibrated to EPP for the first time.

I ended up taking more pages from twisted hobbies book with the wood spar. I'm not sure what they used but I went with basswood and it seems great. I decided to do pull pull controls on the tail surfaces so I wouldn't have to worry about pushrods. Used 1/16 ply for the horns and the motor mount.
Posted by RCvehicleGuy | Oct 21, 2016 @ 10:19 PM | 2,415 Views
Well, it's been a while. A long while.

Not even sure if anybody will see or read this. Anyways, I've matured quite a bit and am working on this new airplane design. I actually haven't designed anything for quite a while, let alone a full blown 3D machine.

So in the 4 years or so that I haven't been designing I've been learning. I've sharpened my flying skill and my knowledge of what makes a good airplane. I've gone from thinking Twisted Hobbys planes and their use of EPP and wood as not high performance to having a Crack Laser and wanting more TH planes. One thought I still agree with my past self on is that man are the TH planes pricey. They are worth it, absolutely. I plane on getting a Veloxity and a 39 inch crack yak before the winter is over. But still, they are costly.

So I decided to sharpen up my CAD skills, or rather learn some from scratch, lol, and make my own design. Of course this isn't worth anything without a means of getting the design to foam. So I've called around and found a place willing to cut my kit. And here I am. I am posting a PDF of the Isometric and of the profiles of the parts. Any readers on here let me know what you think and what you think I might want to change before I get my first plane cut. I will be getting the first prototype cut here in the next few weeks.

The airplane will be cut from 1.3# 9mm EPP. It will use carbon tail trussing just like a depron model, but the wing support will just be a spar, no wing struts. I want to...Continue Reading