vulturetec's blog - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
vulturetec's blog View Details
Posted by vulturetec | Nov 08, 2017 @ 11:58 AM | 695 Views
Some RC flying sites I've found in my travels. Will add them (and update them) as I find 'em.
Posted by vulturetec | Sep 02, 2017 @ 03:21 PM | 1,557 Views
Building a "Mini-Antic" Monoplane from an older San Diego-era Proctor kit. My last Proctor kit took a couple of years to get around to finishing. Hopefully this will be faster! This should be fun after a Nieuport 11 and full size Antic Biplane project.

First step was to come up with a jig for the rib cap strips. On the Nieuport 11 I used the pin/nail method shown in the instructions. For the Antic Bipe and Nieuport 28 I made wooden jigs to clamp the strips to the ribs. That worked a lot better but getting the shape "just right" wasn't real easy. I spent a couple of hours designing a jig using "blue foam". The shape of the foam was made from scanning the sample rib from the kit the CNCing the foam blanks. I made two sets of foam jigs, one for gluing one side of the cap strips, another set flipped over for the other side. The foam blanks are held in place with nylon screws. Seems to work pretty well.

Click to enlarge...


Click to enlarge...


Click to enlarge...
...Continue Reading
Posted by vulturetec | Jul 16, 2017 @ 11:01 PM | 2,056 Views
Before laminating the ply doublers to the balsa sides I set things out as they should be first. I'll inevitably do something really boneheaded if I'm not careful, so this kind of thing keeps me from making two left sides.



I also tend toward using slow glues where it makes sense so I at least have a little time to align things (thin CA wicked into an assembly already dry-fit is an obvious exception, if that technique is appropriate for the situation). For the doublers I opted for slow-setting CA. During previous projects I've found this type of CA also tends to flow out nicely when the parts are clamped, giving a really solid bond across a large area - and it doesn't take a whole lot of glue to do it.

Working quickly I glued up the ply, lined everything up using a board with a jig on it that kept the ends of the doubler/balsa assembly flush while keeping the bottom edges aligned by pressing the edges down on the board together. Quickly clamping the assembly between two planks assures a good bond between the parts and keeps everything flat in the process. Even though it's CA I give the slow stuff several minutes to completely set up before moving on.



For those that haven't seen the instructions, plans, or kit, it may be helpful to know how everything is designed to go together - at least up the "pod" stage (presumably the rest will be equally well thought out). It's well designed to be self-jigging, the parts all line themselves up with minimum effort...Continue Reading