Blueshy's blog - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Blueshy's blog View Details
Posted by Blueshy | Mar 10, 2012 @ 01:31 AM | 4,300 Views
Well, finally the weather and my free time decided to cooperate and I
maidened the new Skywalker.

First flight was a half disaster, my GPS was unhooked (how did I not
notice?!) the AHI was not functioning correctly, I had FBW on and all my
control surfaces were handicapped. As a result my control sucked. The plane
was also way too nose heavy. Here it is:
Skywalker Maiden - Flight 1 Raw Flight Recording (1 min 27 sec)

Second flight was better but the CG was still off, but that didn't stop me
from flying a little longer to see how it flies.
Skywalker Maiden - Flight 2 Raw Flight Recording (3 min 23 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by Blueshy | Mar 04, 2012 @ 06:53 PM | 5,386 Views
My new Skywalker is done. This will be my second Skywalker and I've come
up with a lot of new innovations to solve some of the annoyances of my last
one. I've lammed the wings, ultracoted the wingtips and horizontal stab, and
come up with a whole new wing mounting system. Also, a new cloverleaf for the
tail boom and gps mounted up front.

My old wing mounting system used metal bolts that extended all the way into
the fuse belly where they would be bolted, yuck! The new method involves
cutting off part of the wings that sits over the fuse and gluing it with CA to
the fuse. Then the rods simply slide though both holes then you slide the
wings on. No more bolts, no cheap rubber bands. Check it out:
...Continue Reading
Posted by Blueshy | Jan 03, 2012 @ 12:29 AM | 4,792 Views
Well I did it. Took me about 6 hours to finish both (Tx and Rx pair) of them to my satisfaction. I messed up numerous times (twice) and had to start completely over. Those mistakes were on the Cloverleaf by IBCrazy which I found particularly difficult compared to the straightforward Turbine by Hugeone.

The geometry of the Cloverleaf I am still not 100% sure about but it must be close enough as when I tested the two antennas on the table it worked and the video looked very good. I am also happy to report that the Turbine is doing a fine job limiting the interference from my RC Tx which on the old linear omni antenna had problems with scrolling bands if placed closer than 5 feet to the Tx. If all goes well on the ground range test and subsequent flight around the soccer fields I'll take this plane and throw it off the side of Reser Stadium.

Also I fixed a problem that occurred last time I went flying. My rudder servo was stuck all the way to the right and no stick input would change that. This problem was discovered on the ground before flying so I ended up just pulling the servo and flying with ailerons/elevator only for that flight. Today I traced every step in the signal path from my Tx to the "faulty" servo which I found out is not so faulty after all. After checking that the servo indeed worked fine I thought that the wiring somewhere in the tail boom must have become damaged and disconnected. But after testing both ends with my multimeter I discovered...Continue Reading