I did not fly further than 400 meters, because the place I flew is the most radio-waves filled place in our country. I chose it because it is relatively near and it has grass (in case plane falls).
Almost all the time I flew with half throttle and with a help of map and clock I measured flight speed at 48 km/h. In 13 minutes and 15 seconds I drained the battery down to 11.44 volts. Looks like I am safe to fly for at least 30 minutes.
To reduce impact on possible crash, I removed plywood frame from the nose and made it from one piece of foam-board.
The problem I have now is, after the crashes I had before, the carbon fibre rods have come loose and wings are not stiff at neutral position (note to myself: add more glue next time). Probably I'll have to cut the wings and glue the rods back.
As I used simple Y cable to split video signal between video goggles and video capture device, the image was pretty dark. I ordered amplified video splitter, it should arrive soon (link). Also I ordered better motor and I am thinking of buying OSD to see the speed, height, home position and how much flight time I have left.
Finished the plane at last and maiden flew it yesterday. It flew beautifully, glided incredibly and also could go fast if I wanted to. Unfortunately in the end I crashed the plane. I will repair it and get back into the air soon.
I had various problems with motor while building the plane. While testing the plane at home, one shaft broke making the folding prop fly into the wall. Changed the shaft, shortened it, changed the prop to non-folding, and made sure it is balanced well and with as little vibration as possible. During the tests while changing rotation speed rapidly vibration started to show and I noticed the new shaft has bent. I did not have any more spare shafts so I've decided to put on the last motor I had. It was ordered for my other plane Skyartec Cessna. The strength of the Skyartec motor shaft was far better than for Towerpro motor. I noticed it while sawing the shaft shorter - it required much more time to do this. Lesson learned - do not use motors with 3mm shaft for pusher prop planes.
I did not get 2mm plywood. Instead I glued together two 1mm plywood plates with PVA glue. Also I made bottom wing from the single sheet of depron. In total I spent around 40 hours building the plane.
All up weight: 620g (21.78oz)
Motor: 1530KV BL WZ12 (max 18A)...Continue Reading