Stone1295's blog - RC Groups
Stone1295's blog View Details
Posted by Stone1295 | Jan 06, 2018 @ 01:25 AM | 2,341 Views
I was given this plane in a sort of package deal and it turned out to be my favorite of the bunch!

The plane was fuel in its previous life and I will be converting it to electric.

I got really lucky in that there was no accident damage to repair and that it had hardly any fuel soaked balsa.

Stripping off the old covering involved using a heat gun to heat up the adhesive which makes peeling off the covering a lot easier. After the covering had been removed I used non-chlorinated brake cleaner to remove the residual glue and dye.

Repaired some minor damage to the wing and fuselage and then grabbed up some new wing tips.

Once everything was patched and sanded it was time to come up with a covering scheme. I settled on black, red, and silver for accents. I used monokote mainly for the ease of applying it.

The original manual called for a flying weight of around 6 pounds so I used that for my power train estimations on eCalc. Plugging in the numbers and playing around a bit with different parameters I eventually settled on an e-flite Power 32, 60 amp esc, a 5s 4200 lipo and a 10x6 thin electric prop. Got those on order and finished up the covering.

It turned out that once i got everything together that I pretty much nailed the 6 pound estimation. There are definitely some places that I could lose some weight but I'm fine with this for now.

All that is left is to wait for good weather and get her first flight out of the way!
Posted by Stone1295 | Jun 13, 2013 @ 04:46 PM | 5,373 Views
I bought this off of Joel Scholz a month or so ago and finally had the time and put it together and the weather finally cooperated so that I could get it up for a test flight before work.

The plane flew beautifully!

It's designed as an aerial photography platform and I had 3 keychain cameras onboard and a Canon A630 taking stills. I got decent video from one of the keychains but the other 2 didn't record. I'm thinking that the batteries weren't fully charged or maybe I messed up the button presses.... either way, no record of the flight exists except for some stills which somehow have a pine needle poking into every shot!

-Mike
Posted by Stone1295 | May 19, 2013 @ 02:50 PM | 5,112 Views
Hey All,

I haven't been posting a lot lately but here are a couple of things that I've been working on. I posted up pics of the Hex a while back but the Quad is new. I finished the quad about a month ago. Both of these kits are from DIYDrones and use the APM 2.5+ flight controller.

I finished and test flew the Hex a little over a month ago and it's working well. It has a full featured autopilot and flight stabilizer in it. The Quad is basically the same setup just without the 2 extra arms and motors.

The eventual goal is to mount up a camera gimbal on it that tilts and rotates and then put up either a GoPro or a DSLR camera on it that automatically takes single photos. Maybe I'll add some FPV gear on it so I can actually aim my shots.

Anyway, here's a couple of photos from this morning. I put the copters in GPS position hold, put down my Tx and pulled out my phone to take some pics. :-)

-Mike